General election

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: General election

Post by Barlow Boy »

When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
White Knight
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by White Knight »

Davycc wrote:
White Knight wrote:
One Eyed Thompson wrote:
Davycc wrote: Just to set the record straight I did not vote for the DUP representative in my area this election, nor do I ever foresee me doing so.

Nor did I or could I. If there is one thing that I agree with about the DUP it is their stance on the maintenance of the Union. It galls me that unionists are all portrayed as drum beating bigots. Most of us are quite moderate (some, I believe, vote DUP because of the fear of being seen to be weak by nationalists).

The links with Paramilitaries - It grinds on me that anyone with a violent past or indeed a link to those that were violent can be placed in a position of government BUT!!!! there are no parties in N.I that have no links.

Again, what people on the mainland fail to see is that not only do political parties have links there are very few people here (maybe the middle and upper classes) who don't have some family or friend link to the various paramilitaries.
As for the DUP using their position at Westminster to gain financial or other support for Northern Ireland I'm still naïve enough to hope that they would look at the big picture and do whatever is best for the WHOLE of the United Kingdom before looking after themselves.
No, I'm sorry to say that I think you are being very naive.

......... She can't believe her luck. She was hanging on by a thread a number of months back and now she centre of the big political stage. She is not going to go quietly about this jackpot her party, under her leadership, have hit. John Major refered to this issue today. Theresa May must be hoping some of the luck will rub off on her.......
True, I do though have a feeling (even though the person has said they don't want it) that there is someone patiently waiting in the background to take the reigns by way of being required rather than to be seen pushing AF out. ;)
That is interesting. No one can move against her at the moment with this win under her belt, and no one could move against her before the election, when Sinn Fein were looking for her to step aside as First Minister. They would have been accused of doing the dirty work for Sinn Fein - which would never go down well in the DUP.

Her challenge is that she now has to have Stormont back up and running. Otherwise the windfall of money she will get from No. 10 will be given to Tory ministers to spend in Northern Ireland instead of DUP ministers in Stormont. The money would still arrive but the glory for the DUP would certainly be diminished.

The DUP will take the Conservatives to the cleaners. TM and the Tories are only child's play to the DUP. They are used to much tougher bargaining than any of them have ever experienced. However, whenever there is an open goal you just could end up on your arse. AF just has to be careful not to get this wrong. That would give your candidate Davy, a real opening.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

White Knight wrote:
Davycc wrote:
White Knight wrote:
One Eyed Thompson wrote:
Davycc wrote: Just to set the record straight I did not vote for the DUP representative in my area this election, nor do I ever foresee me doing so.

Nor did I or could I. If there is one thing that I agree with about the DUP it is their stance on the maintenance of the Union. It galls me that unionists are all portrayed as drum beating bigots. Most of us are quite moderate (some, I believe, vote DUP because of the fear of being seen to be weak by nationalists).

The links with Paramilitaries - It grinds on me that anyone with a violent past or indeed a link to those that were violent can be placed in a position of government BUT!!!! there are no parties in N.I that have no links.

Again, what people on the mainland fail to see is that not only do political parties have links there are very few people here (maybe the middle and upper classes) who don't have some family or friend link to the various paramilitaries.
As for the DUP using their position at Westminster to gain financial or other support for Northern Ireland I'm still naïve enough to hope that they would look at the big picture and do whatever is best for the WHOLE of the United Kingdom before looking after themselves.

......... She can't believe her luck. She was hanging on by a thread a number of months back and now she centre of the big political stage. She is not going to go quietly about this jackpot her party, under her leadership, have hit. John Major refered to this issue today. Theresa May must be hoping some of the luck will rub off on her.......
True, I do though have a feeling (even though the person has said they don't want it) that there is someone patiently waiting in the background to take the reigns by way of being required rather than to be seen pushing AF out. ;)
That is interesting. No one can move against her at the moment with this win under her belt, and no one could move against her before the election, when Sinn Fein were looking for her to step aside as First Minister. They would have been accused of doing the dirty work for Sinn Fein - which would never go down well in the DUP.

Her challenge is that she now has to have Stormont back up and running. Otherwise the windfall of money she will get from No. 10 will be given to Tory ministers to spend in Northern Ireland instead of DUP ministers in Stormont. The money would still arrive but the glory for the DUP would certainly be diminished.

The DUP will take the Conservatives to the cleaners. TM and the Tories are only child's play to the DUP. They are used to much tougher bargaining than any of them have ever experienced. However, whenever there is an open goal you just could end up on your arse. AF just has to be careful not to get this wrong. That would give your candidate Davy, a real opening.
If she can resist offering to upgrade No 10s heating system then that will be a start.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
White Knight

Post by White Knight »

Davycc wrote:
White Knight wrote:
Davycc wrote:
White Knight wrote:
One Eyed Thompson wrote:

If she can resist offering to upgrade No 10s heating system then that will be a start.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
daib0
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by daib0 »

Didn't know where to post it, so ...

There are 3,556,413,999,176,123,973,508,341,462,832,896,155,060,039,298,343,852,469,573,744,932,749,880,974,326,190,140,216,910,786,819, 662,000,351,672,937,038,343,477,942,186,702,773,678,447,084,658,701,338,573,496,194,592,123,409,423,247,040,507,890,736,706,941,253,157, 351,758,177,310,902,960,497,959,738,058,332,023,635,714,923,383,342,143,200,666,284,210,848,910,969,355,611,007,936,777,422,906,691,039, 768,958,972,439,125,693,559,173,657,092,996,496,953,407,614,682,873,827,405,273,914,337,158,203,125 ways to colour a constituency map of England based on the colours of the five main parties.

That's roughly 3.6 x 10372 or about 3.6 unvigintiquadringentillion
A friendly Reading FC fan! He is a moderator here: http://www.extremefootballforum.com/forum
White Knight

Post by White Knight »

I see AF and the DUP headed off across the Irish Sea with a big bag of dosh today thanks to the general election maths. Even they may go on the lash tonight to celebrate this one!

Davy is going to have the quickest updates and best online viewing of any of us for the upcoming season if the Tory deal money is spent as it's meant to be, and quick enough. :lol:
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

White Knight wrote:I see AF and the DUP headed off across the Irish Sea with a big bag of dosh today thanks to the general election maths. Even they may go on the lash tonight to celebrate this one!

Davy is going to have the quickest updates and best online viewing of any of us for the upcoming season if the Tory deal money is spent as it's meant to be, and quick enough. :lol:
Two not so insignificant points there WK. As it's meant to be & quick enough.

Point 1. I think it would take the dumbest of politicians to spend this on anything other than those areas where it's needed and which will benefit all the community. Problem is we have some pretty dumb politicians across the board.

Point 2. Quick enough, well they would all need to get their bloody fingers out and get sitting down together. I heard some mutterings there may be movement but as you say, will it be quick enough or will the SWAG be frittered away on boards to discuss this and enquiries to reopen that.

Just have a go at sorting the country out for the kids, that'll do me.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

Can you borrow me a tenner Davycc. :D

TM may with the tail well and truly between her legs.
Deleted User 3289

I haven't stayed in a hotel in the uk for years but when I go to mainland Europe I regularly have to pay a Hotel room Tax (or some sort of tax) can anyone confirm if we do the same here? It would be a great way to raise some extra tax. Also when I was driving in Austria and Switzerland we had to buy something called a Vignette.

In Austria it costs £8.50 for ten days and in Switzerland it was £40 for the year. So can anyone also confirm if any mainland European cars have to pay anything to use our roads?

IMO another good way of raising extra revenue.
Deleted User 3289

No number 2s Sherlock.

http://news.sky.com/story/britains-econ ... y-11022712

I have a feeling that with the Youth of today quite willingly uploading their personal data onto well known web-sites and with the inevitable move to a cashless society. The big financial institutions will have direct power over the way we live our lives. Once we can't stuff anymore money under the mattress were all doomed... :D