Junior Murvin

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Mellor
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Junior Murvin

Post by Mellor »

Passed away, age 67. His work with Lee 'Scratch' Perry was cracking, Clash's version of Police and Thieves still sounds immense. You can't beat a bit of reggae.

R.I.P

When I was young I said to my mum, 'are the hills in the distance America?'
attacco decente
Mellor

Re: Junior Murvin

Post by Mellor »

That's reggae off the thread list of topics then!

Anyone like Grime ;)
attacco decente
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Lee Perry = genius.

I also really like Augustus Pablo and Mad Professor.
There was a fantastic dub album of Bob Marley stuff released a few years ago called Dreams Of Freedom that I'd thoroughly recommend to anyone into that kind of thing.
I used it extensively on my two Bob Marley mixes blending the more well known studio versions of the songs with the longer, dub mixes, which you can listen to here:

http://www.mixcrate.com/rigger/bob-marl ... -1-1140421

http://www.mixcrate.com/rigger/bob-marl ... -2-1154250
Mellor

Post by Mellor »

Tubby also for dub. Marvellous music, Perry the best for me. I love reggae. What a place Jamaica is for music. I doubt anywhere has a better artist to square miles ratio than Jamaica. Big fan of Rock Steady as well.

Nice one on the mix stuff :thumbup:
attacco decente
Deleted User 1022

Post by Deleted User 1022 »

Im a big reggae music fan myself, and used to be a lead singer in a reggae band back in the day, but can play guitar keyboard and bass but not all at once :D
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Thanks Mellor :thumbup: :thumbup:

CW: I've been a DJ for about 25 years but used to be lead singer in a rock covers band. I'm not really a fan of classic/pub rock, but it was a good craic for three or four years :crazy: :lol: :D
Deleted User 1022

Post by Deleted User 1022 »

rigger wrote:Thanks Mellor :thumbup: :thumbup:

CW: I've been a DJ for about 25 years but used to be lead singer in a rock covers band. I'm not really a fan of classic/pub rock, but it was a good craic for three or four years :crazy: :lol: :D
Rigger they were the best days of my life, carefree and as you said the craic was brilliant, we did plenty of covers etc but we did have a good following of our own dub reggae style also, i was the song writer of the band also, but problems with being a lead singer is trying to get the others motivated especially when its a reggae band and the other members were more interested in the wacky backy. But id love to start up a band again when i move to the Philippines they love reggae out there and are just as good at it too, different countries have there own style of reggae I've all types of it from numerous countries from Japanese to Dutch to south african and Canadian, UK to New Zealand etc just great music