Music Stage Shows

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Music Stage Shows

Post by Selby White »

In last year or so her indoors and myself have got into Music based stage shows. Its a cracking night out and haven't seen a bad one yet, of course compulsory couple of pints followed by a pre theatre meal with a nice bottle of red helps).

If had to put into a order of our favorites of the four we've done so far it would this :-

1. Sunny Afternoon (The KInks Story).
2. Simon and Garfunel Story
3. Jersey Boys (Frankie Valli and the 4 seasons)
4. Thriller (Michael Jackson).

Tonight its "All or nothing" (Small Faces) at York Theatre Royal and in the next couple of months we've got The Carpenters Story a the Johnny Cash stage show lined up.

Anyone else enjoy Theatre nights ?
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Deleted User 728

Re: Music Stage Shows

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Selby White wrote: Anyone else enjoy Theatre nights ?
Plays : yes. Love them and am lucky to live near the excellent Nuffield Theatre.

Musicals : never.

I'm washing my hair that night .. any night :lolno:
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

It's more the true stories of real artists/bands we go see.

Last night was cracking show but had to miss the last few minutes because it overrun the normal 10pm finish and last train to Selby is 10-29, made it with 3 minutes to spare (it'll be the bus next time).
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Seen a fair few in my time, most of them by choice, some as 'horizon expanding' via school and a couple that I went to out of family duty. Some are ace, some I can't stand the idea of, especially in film funnily enough.

Scrooge - with Tommy Steele, very good indeed but the songs were actually more a distraction IMO.
Oliver! - ace film and I saw the stage version with Neil Morrissey as Fagin. Couldn't be as good as the film but we really enjoyed this.
Wicked - it was okay, the songs are all 'Hollywood' which I don't like at all, a bit like 'Let It Go' all the time. Enjoyed the story/premise though, a prequel to Wizard of Oz.
Godspell - saw this as a kid, really enjoyed it but couldn't tell you much about it.
Joseph & His ... - saw this not long after Godspell, didn't mind it at all, I even bought an album of the songs.
Rocky Horror - also saw this as a teen. Really good, surprisingly, but I suppose you have to be willing to enjoy such a bizarre spectacle!

The best ever for me, I was 9 I think, was a musical play called 'John, Paul, George, Ringo and Bert'. It was about the Beatles of course... possibly by Bill Kenwright, and I remember that as well as the obvious brilliant Beatles connections, a pianist/singer was on stage for most of the action, one Barbara Dickson who was fantastic. The play contains a lot of swearing which made it even more fun for me.

Never fancied opera but wouldn't rule it out completely, I always quite fancied Starlight Express plus I had a mate, from Beeston, Leeds, who made it quite big in theatre and was a main player in the early days of Cats darn Landan! :D
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Another Northern Soul wrote: Never fancied opera
See, that's interesting because I really like opera and have been to see a fair few live down the years.

Bizet, Puccini and Wagner are all masters of the art and I think it raises the whole idea of a stage show to a completely different level.

I think the main reason I'm not into musicals is because as a kid I was dragged along by my parents to see loads of them, mostly operettas and Gilbert and Sullivan stuff - that and the fact I also used to have to watch my sister in ballet recitals made me seriously question the whole idea of any kind of show other than a straight musical gig.

Opera isn't anywhere near as stuffy as it used to be so if you get the chance, give it a go - it's amazing :)
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

rigger wrote:
Another Northern Soul wrote: Never fancied opera
See, that's interesting because I really like opera and have been to see a fair few live down the years.

Bizet, Puccini and Wagner are all masters of the art and I think it raises the whole idea of a stage show to a completely different level.

I think the main reason I'm not into musicals is because as a kid I was dragged along by my parents to see loads of them, mostly operettas and Gilbert and Sullivan stuff - that and the fact I also used to have to watch my sister in ballet recitals made me seriously question the whole idea of any kind of show other than a straight musical gig.

Opera isn't anywhere near as stuffy as it used to be so if you get the chance, give it a go - it's amazing :)
I haven't ruled it out but would probably try a few CDs out first. We've been here before I think, I've been to a couple of ballets in my time, nowhere near as bad I'd expected.

Forgot to say - saw Fiddler On The Roof onstage when I was young, really enjoyed it. And 'Annie Get Your Gun' with my dear Ma about 20 years ago, good fun :D
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Only ever been to one, in London. Les Miserables which was good. Can't stand opera. The hero/villain who gets to die at the end, always takes about 15 minutes to snuff it, during which time he sounds extremely healthy. Then the fat lady sings. :D
I once played against Don Revie.