Mandela

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Mellor
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Mandela

Post by Mellor »

The strength to forgive after 27 years in jail. A measure of the man.

R.I.P
When I was young I said to my mum, 'are the hills in the distance America?'
attacco decente
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Re: Mandela

Post by Aces »

A good age at 95 especially having spent almost 3 decades in jail in South Africa. The worlds top politicians are singing his praises.
We are Leeds, we have to believe our new players are good enough, encourage and support them and help them grow in to a team to be reckoned with. MoT
SMorientes
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by SMorientes »

Everyone's hero. Lived a great life, fought for rights and won; lived an impressively long life. Now is time to celebrate his life, his successes and his character. Now the burden is on us and future generations to maintain his legacy and keep striving for equality and freedom.
"Whenever people agree with me, I always feel I must be wrong."
Sheepy
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by Sheepy »

RIP, a great man.
BigLeedsFan72
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by BigLeedsFan72 »

Sad news indeed. Takes great courage to talk a divided nation into forgiving past wrongs. Wish there were more like him...
"Be like water my friend" Bruce Lee
Deleted User 130

Post by Deleted User 130 »

Mellor wrote:The strength to forgive after 27 years in jail. A measure of the man.

R.I.P
:clap: 8-)

A true leader of men when there are so many fakes around who will never achieve an iota of what Nelson Mandela achieved.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Missed this a truly great man and one that will be sadly missed.

RIP
Winner of the Europa League
Deleted User 130

Post by Deleted User 130 »

Dearest Tata,

There is much I want to say to you, and regret I will no longer have the chance. Having said that, I feel privileged to have known you, and to have benefited from your wisdom and example.

You taught me lessons of leadership, humility, generosity, courage and integrity. To say that you inspired me and my generation, would be an understatement.

My career would not have been possible but for you. The chance of playing at the highest level in football outside of South Africa did not exist before your release from prison. When times were tough in my early days in Leeds, away from South Africa, I drew motivation from your courage and tenacity. When captaining teams, whether Bafana Bafana or Leeds United, you were my role model for leadership. Your ability to bring people together for a common cause, despite their differences, was a great gift.

I think I speak for every player who pulled on a Bafana Bafana, Springbok or Protea jersey, and any other South African sportsperson, when I say that we never ever played just for ourselves or even our country. We played for you and the special ideals that you stood for. You taught me how sport could be an indomitable force for social change, and how it could impact individuals, communities and nations.

I was so proud to welcome you to Leeds, my home away from home, and I know the pride you felt in my accomplishments. It was so humbling. You will never know how much that visit meant to Feziwe and me. It was a day that will forever be etched in my mind. I always felt special that you had your own name for me, Mthimkhulu.

I know children were at the heart of your philanthropic vision and I promise to continue working in your image to motivate, help and galvanize South Africa’s next generation. Part of your legacy is that so many of us are stirred to carry the torch.

The sports history books in South Africa will show statistics and victories. What they won’t show, however, was that it was Madiba Magic that forged those results and performances; and united a country and its people along the way. No doubt, that Madiba Magic will live on. Thank you Tata.

Much love,

Lucas Radebe
SMorientes
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by SMorientes »

:clap: :clap: :clap:

thanks ons
"Whenever people agree with me, I always feel I must be wrong."
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Every now and again, this world of ours throws up a giant figure. We have been privileged that in our life-time we have seen one in the shape of Nelson Mandela.
I once played against Don Revie.