First record bought ??

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Deleted User 728

First record bought ??

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Saw this on another forum and thought it was a good idea, so what was the first record you bought for yourself ?
Obviously, this could be a 7" single, an album, cassette tape, 8-track, 78, CD or download, depending on your age :D

Mine cost 50p in the local newsagent and was one of those ex-jukebox singles with no middle, so you had to use a 45rpm adapter to play it, unless you risked "guessing" when placing the record on the turntable (which would always result in some woozy sounding songs being played !).

I remember seeing the artist perform on TOTP and being blown away. I was about 11 or 12 and though I had other records and tapes that had been given to me, it was a great feeling buying my first :)

Here's him on Top Of The Pops, but this must have been the second or third time he was on because I distinctly remember the keyboard player running around the synth he was playing in between bursts of that ridiculously funky four-note riff :

And here's the record itself (which came in a plain black 7" single sleeve) :

So, what was yours ??
One Eyed Thompson
Brian McDermott's optician

Re: First record bought ??

Post by One Eyed Thompson »

I know I bought two or three 7" singles at the same time as my first purchases. Elvis Costello "I don't want to go to Chelsea" and Nick Lowe "I love the sound of breaking glass". Might have bought ELO's "Mr Blue Sky" at the same time. Bit hazy since it was soooooooooo long ago.

Edit. I just checked and all 3 were in the charts at the same time so I must have got them together. "Ally's Tartan Army" was just below them in the charts at the time - didn't bother with that one :)
Deleted User 728

One Eyed Thompson wrote:I know I bought two or three 7" singles at the same time as my first purchases. Elvis Costello "I don't want to go to Chelsea" and Nick Lowe "I love the sound of breaking glass". Might have bought ELO's "Mr Blue Sky" at the same time. Bit hazy since it was soooooooooo long ago.

Edit. I just checked and all 3 were in the charts at the same time so I must have got them together. "Ally's Tartan Army" was just below them in the charts at the time - didn't bother with that one :)
HAHA ! :D
That was one of the best footie songs ever, though .. made even more so by how woeful Scotland were at the time.

Love ELO - my mate had the single on blue vinyl but I already had the double album, Out Of The Blue, which is Jeff Lynne's masterpiece and one of my top 5 albums of all time. I always have it with me on holiday - it's such a great listen when you're lying in the sunshine :)
Elvis I'm less of a fan of. Top bloke - very funny and humble - and I get that he's a great songwriter, but I just don't like his voice and never got into New Wave in general, either - I was into disco and synths at the time.
Nick Lowe's greatest moment too :)
Another great songwriter, but that song was a classic.

Nice selection ! :thumbup:
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

7'' single - 'Let it all hang out' by Jonathan King in 1969

12'' double album - 'The Autumn Stone' by the Small Faces
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

First singles:
If I Had You b/w Chinese Girl - The Korgis

Crazy Little Thing Called Love b/w We Will Rock You (live) - Queen

That would have been '79/'80.

I'm sure I bought other stuff before then. I seem to recall buying The Beatles second album when I was on holiday with my parents in Eastbourne which would have been '76-ish. I was definitely more in to albums than singles but, growing up in a village, I had to rely on the local newsagent's limited stock of Music For Pleasure lps. I've still got "Hits of the 60's" compilation (there were never any big names on these),The Hollies' Long, Cool Woman in a Black Dress, The Beach Boys Live in London and a Mama's and Papa's best of compilation. I suppose I would have got those in the late 70's whenever I had saved enough pocket money.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

1952 Went halves with brother and bought Stan Freberg's 'St George and the Dragonet'. Comedy disc (78) which was very funny at the time.
First music record was about 1958. Modern Jazz Quartet.
I once played against Don Revie.
Deleted User 728

Good stuff, this - keep 'em coming :)
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

That was the album not sure about single but something from Glam rock era such as Slade or maybe Mott the Hoople.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
SCOTTISH LEEDS
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

First album I bought was Boz Scaggs Silk Degrees on cassette as the shop didnt have it as an album.

First 7' single was Baker Street by Gerry Rafferty.

First LP was City to City by Gerry Rafferty.
Deleted User 728

SCOTTISH LEEDS wrote:
First 7' single was Baker Street by Gerry Rafferty.

First LP was City to City by Gerry Rafferty.
Bought that single too and I loved the album when I got a second-hand copy on cassette :)

... still do, too - that and Night Owl.