First record bought ??

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Deleted User 728

Re: First record bought ??

Post by Deleted User 728 »

johnh wrote:During and after the war, we had a gramophone with a 'wind-up' handle. No electricity required. Can't remember any of the records my parents had.
Worth a fortune now in good nick :)

Bakelite discs, weren't they ??
Used to have loads knocking about as my old man had a few. Wish I'd kept them, though you need a dedicated 78rpm mono stylus to hear them at their best.
I remember dropping one and it shattered :o
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Had no idea what the 78's were made of, Bakelite didn't ring a bell so I just Googled it. The material used was 'Shellac'. You live and learn (even at 81) :shock: :D
I once played against Don Revie.
Deleted User 728

Ah of course, that's it - I knew it was old and used a lot around the time of WWII.

I'm getting my records mixed up with radios - logical really, if you think about it ? :D
Deleted User 728

... though it does beg the question why do we use the term "Shellacking" to describe someone taking a proper beating ??
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

johnh wrote:During and after the war, we had a gramophone with a 'wind-up' handle. No electricity required. Can't remember any of the records my parents had.
Have just emailed my brother (who has a better memory of these things than me) to see if he can remember what record 'classics' we were listening to. I think one may have been the Inkspots.
Deleted User 728

Definitely.
Bet you had some big band stuff and Bix Beiderbecke too :)
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

johnh wrote:
Have just emailed my brother (who has a better memory of these things than me) to see if he can remember what record 'classics' we were listening to. I think one may have been the Inkspots.
Whispering Grass, perhaps?

Deleted User 3150

Post by Deleted User 3150 »

First album was Beatles HELP. Bought with saved up money from my paper round :D
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Thanks Sniffer. You won't believe what emotive memories that stirred. :thumbup:
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

johnh wrote:Thanks Sniffer. You won't believe what emotive memories that stirred. :thumbup:
It's a pleasure, John. :)
I probably wouldn't have known about the Ink Spots if it hadn't been for Don Estelle and Windsor Davies' version of Whispering Grass in the mid-70s.
"Sing up, Lofty boy". :D