First record bought ??

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
dlw10
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Re: First record bought ??

Post by dlw10 »

[quote="rigger"]Image

One of those, you mean ??

Very similar to that but without the legs! I have a vague recollection that the top was the speaker and it lifted off so you could place it away from the deck?
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

johnh wrote:
johnh wrote:During and after the war, we had a gramophone with a 'wind-up' handle. No electricity required. Can't remember any of the records my parents had.
Have just emailed my brother (who has a better memory of these things than me) to see if he can remember what record 'classics' we were listening to. I think one may have been the Inkspots.
Brother couldn't come up with much either. He only remembered one: 'Begin the Beguine' either Arty Shaw big band or Glen Miller. I also have vague memories of something by Vera Lynn and a jazz number with Sid Phillips.
I once played against Don Revie.
Costy
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Costy »

Seems like I'm the only one under 40 replying to this. Courtesy of my mum and dad I grew up listening to a lot of Michael Jackson and other Motown, as well as Bob Marley and the likes of The Human League. My dad was also a Stranglers and Squeeze fan so I got to know them fairly well too. Eclectic mix! First record I went out and bought for myself though was 'Whatever' by Oasis in December '94 when I would have been 14. I still adore that song; that and others like it very much shaped my musical tastes i.e Britpop in the 90's and guitar based bands since then like The White Stripes and The Strokes (my favourite band of all time). There's a real dearth of good new music like that about now.
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

Costy wrote:Seems like I'm the only one under 40 replying to this. Courtesy of my mum and dad I grew up listening to a lot of Michael Jackson and other Motown, as well as Bob Marley and the likes of The Human League. My dad was also a Stranglers and Squeeze fan so I got to know them fairly well too. Eclectic mix! First record I went out and bought for myself though was 'Whatever' by Oasis in December '94 when I would have been 14. I still adore that song; that and others like it very much shaped my musical tastes i.e Britpop in the 90's and guitar based bands since then like The White Stripes and The Strokes (my favourite band of all time). There's a real dearth of good new music like that about now.
Loved Squeeze. Had their first half-a-dozen or so albums. :thumbup:
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Sniffer wrote:
Costy wrote:Seems like I'm the only one under 40 replying to this. Courtesy of my mum and dad I grew up listening to a lot of Michael Jackson and other Motown, as well as Bob Marley and the likes of The Human League. My dad was also a Stranglers and Squeeze fan so I got to know them fairly well too. Eclectic mix! First record I went out and bought for myself though was 'Whatever' by Oasis in December '94 when I would have been 14. I still adore that song; that and others like it very much shaped my musical tastes i.e Britpop in the 90's and guitar based bands since then like The White Stripes and The Strokes (my favourite band of all time). There's a real dearth of good new music like that about now.

Loved Squeeze. Had their first half-a-dozen or so albums. :thumbup:
Got a couple of albums on vinyl, cool for cats and east side story. Maybe one more but would need to check the vaults.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

I reviewed their last album for the paper I write for down here - very good indeed. Included the theme from the Danny Baker sitcom about his own life :)
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

Albums:
Squeeze
Cool For Cats
Argy Bargy
East Side Story
Sweets From A Stranger
Difford and Tilbrook
Cosi Fan Tutti
Babylon And On
Frank

In the early-80s the band split up and the main songwriters, Chris Difford and Glen Tilbrook, recorded their own album. It was interesting. They'd moved away from the classic pop that they were known for to more experimental, off-kilter pop. The band "reformed" not long after and produced a couple of albums before I fell out of love with them. Maybe I should have a look at their later stuff.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

First Cassette tape was Dare by the Human League, although there is a big difference in years i do have on vinyl bye bye Baby by the Bay City Rollers and Hero's by David Bowie but can't remember which i bought first :?
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
LAsouthcoast
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by LAsouthcoast »

Chris Difford played at a little coffee shop in Rustington called Coastal Coffee, about 7 or 8 years ago, which is about a 10 minute walk from where I live. It was a favour to his mate who owned the shop, me and a mate managed to get tickets, it was easily the most intimate gig I have been to.
Costy
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Costy »

Sniffer wrote:Albums:
Squeeze
Cool For Cats
Argy Bargy
East Side Story
Sweets From A Stranger
Difford and Tilbrook
Cosi Fan Tutti
Babylon And On
Frank

In the early-80s the band split up and the main songwriters, Chris Difford and Glen Tilbrook, recorded their own album. It was interesting. They'd moved away from the classic pop that they were known for to more experimental, off-kilter pop. The band "reformed" not long after and produced a couple of albums before I fell out of love with them. Maybe I should have a look at their later stuff.
I think it was the greatest hits that we had in the car. Standout songs for me were 'Pulling Mussels From A Shell', 'Tempted by the Fruit of Another' 'Black Coffee in Bed' and 'Annie Get Your Gun'.