Where you live

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
LAsouthcoast
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Where you live

Post by LAsouthcoast »

Just pondering after an absolute stunning weekend of weather down here on the south coast, what is good about where you live, I feel fortunate to have been born and bred here, the seafront and the river looked great today and it was good to see so many enjoying the facilities. The river, which over recent years has seen the old disused boat and timber yards turned into a riverside walk in front of riverside properties takes you up to Arundel which is a picturesque medieval town with the castle attracting lots of visitors. The south downs are not to far away with lovely walks and the towns of Chichester and Worthing 20 minute drives away, our town centre, which is inland from the seafront could do with a bit of investment but is slowly improving with a Friday market pulling more people in.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: Where you live

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Living in Nottingham has its benefits particularly its central location. We can get anywhere pretty much in two & half hours. We have good transport links including a tram service which is excellent. I'm happy living here & we have a excellent nature reserve on our doorstep, the problem it doesn't know it's true identity it has birdwatching, cycling, fishing & walkers all competing for the narrow walk walks.
Winner of the Europa League
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Maidenhead has its advantages and disadvantages. Lovely leafy area, lots of trees and green spaces. Nice places to visit close by. Marlow, Windsor, Henley. River Thames runs through Maidenhead, some nice walks along the river. Main downside is the traffic, choc a bloc at any time of the day. Fortunately, we live at the end of a road which is a dead-end, so no through traffic. Can also be in London in 40 minutes but I haven't been in for years.
I once played against Don Revie.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Antrim town. I've been living here for 12 years now. What I love is the fact that a 5 minute drive takes me to countryside and forest walks (Tardree Forest)
If I want the city a 25 minute drive takes me to Belfast and if a drink is to be involved the train station is a 5 minute walk (or crawl) away.

What really irks me though is that I'm right beside the biggest fresh water expanse in the UK and theres nothing to do at it, zilch ! (must be a business opportunity I'm thinking) For example Tripadvisor doesn't even mention it in the top ten attractions when it really should be.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractio ... eland.html
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Davycc wrote:Antrim town. I've been living here for 12 years now. What I love is the fact that a 5 minute drive takes me to countryside and forest walks (Tardree Forest)
If I want the city a 25 minute drive takes me to Belfast and if a drink is to be involved the train station is a 5 minute walk (or crawl) away.

What really irks me though is that I'm right beside the biggest fresh water expanse in the UK and theres nothing to do at it, zilch ! (must be a business opportunity I'm thinking) For example Tripadvisor doesn't even mention it in the top ten attractions when it really should be.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractio ... eland.html
Can't believe you didn't include 'dual carriageway to Giants Causeway.' :D
I once played against Don Revie.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Southampton.

An hour and a half from London and the major airports.
The New Forest.
The coast.
A few beaches.
France.
Spain (both by ferry)
Isle Of Wight.
Halfway between the south-east and the south-west.

The city is very green.
There's a massive shopping centre and an Ikea.
Currently four multiplex cinemas.
Thriving music scene and good nightlife generally, whatever you're into.
Very cosmopolitan, mixed races and cultures and rainbow-friendly.

I've lived elsewhere but always gravitated back here.

I do love the area and even though I don't swim I do like living so close to the sea.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Its all in my forum name and Selby ain't a bad place to live.

Have a small bungalow at bottom of a cul-de-sac with a decent sized garden, get plenty of wildlife to watch.

NIght life isn't the best as you can imagine in a small market town although we do have a couple of decent Pubs and restaurants. The town hall gets a few decent acts on usually blasts from the past, had some great evenings down there.

The bonus is we are only 12 miles from York and in my travels I've not seen many better places, got a bit of everything. Also only around 20 miles from Leeds and handily placed for the M62 and A1.

In fact we are slap bang in the middle of Gods Own County and its great that within a hour or so drive we can enjoy either the Dales, North York Moors, Wolds or even the coast. As Her indoors and myself enjoy walking you can often find us in one of the great areas.

Train links are good as well as direct to Leeds or York we get an hourly transpennine express to Manchester or Hull in other direction. We also get 5 trains per day to London KIngs x.

A couple of nice nature reserves at a village nearby but i'll leave that to Barlow Boy to tell you about. :D

Sadly we ain't got a Cinema, some prat burnt it down back in the 1970's, they were showing Towering Inferno at the time :crazy: .
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Selby White wrote:
Sadly we ain't got a Cinema, some prat burnt it down back in the 1970's, they were showing Towering Inferno at the time :crazy: .
That made me chuckle :lol:
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

Bristol: I moved back here nearly 3 years ago after a 25 year exile.
What has it got? Well, as I sit here typing I am looking through the trees over Durdham Down to the old Water Tower. Durdham Down, it's very close neighbour, Clifton Down, and some smaller areas form The Downs, a green area at the top of Bristol. Between me and the Downs is a disused quarry, that now hides a hospital, and a road. If I could walk out of my apartment window, over the quarry and the road, I would be on the Downs in a minute and a half. It is my back garden. If I did that and turned left, over a small road that separates Durdham from Clifton Down, and walked for 15 minutes or so through the trees and bushes I would be at Bristol Zoo. If I turned right there, crossed another small road and kept on walking through the trees I would come to a wall overlooking the River Avon. To my left is the Clifton Suspension Bridge and the south side of Bristol, to the right the river winds out to the Bristol Channel.

If, instead of walking for fifteen minutes over the Downs, I turned left again I would be on Blackboy Hill at the top of Whiteladies Road. To the left is Redland (where I live) and to the right is Clifton, straight ahead as the road falls towards the city centre is Bristol laid out before you. There are at least half a dozen decent pubs within crawling distance, from The Blackboy and The Jersey Lily at the start of the evening to The Port of Call or the spit and sawdust Beaufort Arms when all sense has gone. All gems selling great beer and, particularly, cider.

That's where I live. Bristol as a whole? Festival of some kind or other every weekend, the harbour, the coloured houses, Gloucester Road (road with the most independent shops on it) and The People's Republic of Stoke's Croft (Seriously, look it up - Hipsters heaven), wonderful mix of the most down-to-earth people you're ever likely to meet, wealthy people with a social heart and a middle class that were almost hippies in their youth and now go to "Glasto" when they can. There are some B'stards, obviously, but not nearly as bad as in other places I've lived.

Bristol is an artistic city with atrocious traffic problems, a place where you could go out every night of the week and see something different - and probably eat something different every night. It is a city built big on slavery but with a strong multi-cultural ethic. It has changed horribly and brilliantly over the last 40 years since I first came here and I love it. :D
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

Nottingham has been home now for 17 years, almost as long as the 18 years I spent in London before moving to Leeds. I first moved to the East Midlands in 1979 and used to go back to London most weekends at first. People wanted to know ‘what’s Derby like?’ to which my reply was ‘it has one saving grace, called Nottingham’.

I’d say the years haven’t dimmed my enthusiasm for the city, even given my mixed personal fortunes. The City Council I can’t abide for their money-grabbing, especially when it comes to anything to do with a car or council tax, and blatant hypocrisy on some issues. As NW says we have an excellent and affordable public transport system that frequently wins national awards. If you need to go to that London reasonable train fares are available that will get you there in 1 hour 50.

I find the natives friendly, us having had many experiences of getting chatting to people in pubs, restaurants etc. It’s a very cosmopolitan city – my wife remarked when she first arrived here that it’s ‘otra planeta’ given the variety of nationalities we’ve met – something likely connected with the universities here.

We enjoy the city centre for not only its historic bits, but the lively buzz at the weekends, great shopping together with an excellent pub and restaurant scene. Also there are theatre, cinema and music venues covering all tastes from mainstream to distinctly alternative.

By chance I read just today that Nottingham has the second highest amount of green space within its city limits in England after Birmingham.

And we don’t have ridiculous property prices.
Last edited by mapperleywhite on 11 Jul 2017, 10:42, edited 1 time in total.
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....