Random questions that pop into your head ..

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Deleted User 728

Random questions that pop into your head ..

Post by Deleted User 728 »

I thought I'd start up one of those occasional threads you can dip in and out of as and when the need arises, depending on whether you have an odd thought or question that you'd like to ask someone, anyone, to see if you can get a reasonable answer.

For example, I was out for dinner with some friends a week or so ago. Their parents came too, so five of us sat around the table and when our main courses came I sat there and watched as father, mother and their two sons - my mates - all reached for the salt and pepper before they'd tasted their food.

I have never understood that :wtf:

Why do you add seasoning to something you've yet to put in your mouth ?
Any chef worth his salt (pun very much intended) would be insulted, surely ?

Any ideas ?
Do you do it yourself, if so why ?
Salt is really bad for you and increases the chance of all kinds of diseases so I've never understood why people use so much of the stuff ..
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Re: Random questions that pop into your head ..

Post by johnh »

I tried eating my fish and chips like that once, but the 'chef' hadn't put salt and vinegar on. :D
I once played against Don Revie.
Deleted User 728

johnh wrote:I tried eating my fish and chips like that once, but the 'chef' hadn't put salt and vinegar on. :D
Haha !

At least they generally ask before serving, eh ?? ;)
Deleted User 4758

Post by Deleted User 4758 »

I was pondering this very same thing recently! I noticed that I was salting my dinner without tasting it one time last week. Now, there is a reason I do this; my wife is Canadian and she doesn't salt ANYTHING (it seems) when cooking! That said, you can never be too sure. I will make certain I taste food in all it's un-seasoned glory before adding condiments next time :P

Totally agree that you should always taste before adding...
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Must admit i put salt on without tasting but only certain foods, others i don't bother.

Strange one is tomatoes if uncooked say on a salad I'll add salt but if cooked or grilled will add pepper.

Also put salt on chicken but not other meats.

Of course salt and vinegar (plenty of both) on fish and chips.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Why do some people feel they have to reverse into supermarket parking bays ?
Clearly it's much easier to have the boot on the outside to put the shopping in.
Deleted User 728

Selby White wrote:Why do some people feel they have to reverse into supermarket parking bays ?
Clearly it's much easier to have the boot on the outside to put the shopping in.
Actually, parking in general.
I always go in nose first.
You're gonna be mucking about one way or the other anyway, so why does it even matter ??

In like Flynn .. out like a snail :lol:
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Selby White wrote:Why do some people feel they have to reverse into supermarket parking bays ?
:oops: :oops: :oops:, that might be me SW (not in supermarkets though, as we shop online).

I have a 4x4, and find it much easier to reverse into parking bays with the assistance of the reversing camera.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Deleted User 728

Barlow Boy wrote:
I have a 4x4, and find it much easier to reverse into parking bays with the assistance of the reversing camera.
Do you keep your pinnie on while you're doing it or just wear the apron to the shops ?? :crazy:
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Barlow Boy wrote:
:oops: :oops: :oops:, that might be me SW (not in supermarkets though, as we shop online).

I'll keep my eye open for you :evil: :D