Gigs

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
LAsouthcoast
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Re: Gigs

Post by LAsouthcoast »

PSB are on the BBC i player at the moment, playing a track from the new album in the 6 music live lounge, if you`re interested.
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

LAsouthcoast wrote:PSB are on the BBC i player at the moment, playing a track from the new album in the 6 music live lounge, if you`re interested.
Thanks for that. I'll have a look.
Deleted User 4758

Post by Deleted User 4758 »

Already have tickets for Sleaford Mods at Becketts Uni in Leeds (October) + seeing The Stranglers for the first time ever on Friday in Perranporth, Cornwall. We go to see Sleaford Mods every year...
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

Not a gig as such (although there was a Tribute band afterwards): I went to a reading on Sunday night by Lol Tolhurst, original drummer with The Cure. His book is about the bands early existence and his struggles with drugs/alcohol, leading to him leaving the band in 1989. Really nice guy, very unassuming. Q&A followed by book signing/photos. He even went on stage to play 4 songs with the Tribute band. Made their night too. Nice intimate venue in Galway, An Roisin Dubh (The Black Rose). If your ever in the West of Ireland, check it out. Some big names appeared there over the years. Capacity is only 360 standing, much less when set up with seating as it was last Sunday.
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

kk_white wrote:Not a gig as such (although there was a Tribute band afterwards): I went to a reading on Sunday night by Lol Tolhurst, original drummer with The Cure. His book is about the bands early existence and his struggles with drugs/alcohol, leading to him leaving the band in 1989. Really nice guy, very unassuming. Q&A followed by book signing/photos. He even went on stage to play 4 songs with the Tribute band. Made their night too. Nice intimate venue in Galway, An Roisin Dubh (The Black Rose). If your ever in the West of Ireland, check it out. Some big names appeared there over the years. Capacity is only 360 standing, much less when set up with seating as it was last Sunday.
That's really cool.
I love it when the real thing hitches up with the tributes as the latter are always superb musicians in their own right.

I know Steve Howe (best guitarist of all time IMHO) has played with now-defunct Yes tribute, Fragile, a number of times, and also with Seyes ("say yes") another newer tribute act.
Dave Gilmour hired The Australian Pink Floyd to play in his garden for his birthday one year so people would shut up about it too :)
kk white

Post by kk white »

rigger wrote:...
I love it when the real thing hitches up with the tributes as the latter are always superb musicians in their own right...
Absolutely. What also strikes me when watching a tribute band up close, and appreciating their level of expertise, you realise just how talented the original band must have been to write the piece in the first place.
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

kk_white wrote:
I love it when the real thing hitches up with the tributes as the latter are always superb musicians in their own right...
Absolutely. What also strikes me when watching a tribute band up close, and appreciating their level of expertise, you realise just how talented the original band must have been to write the piece in the first place.
Yes, sort of, but a band are unlikely to write something they couldn't play. They may well have a level of expertise but, to a certain extent they will be playing in their comfort zone or at least in their style of playing. And then there are the "happenstance moments". There are some incredibly messy guitarists, who make a beautiful noise, who have found their mistakes and sounds away from the main line recorded for posterity and tribute acts have had to try and copy that. My favourite was Steve Marriot of the Small Faces. He had a beautiful left hand that knew exactly where he wanted any guitar line to go but he just chucked his right hand at the strings and hoped for the best. But that's what made his playing exciting. So, in a way, a tribute act has a harder job. They have to learn a style of playing, they have to learn the tune and they have to replicate any mistakes made on original recordings. ;)
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

The guitarist in my old band was unreal : he could mimic anyone and be note perfect, even Floyd.

I can't play a note though I've owned harmonicas, keyboards and still have an electric bass and a sax.
My sister's like Roy Castle (not dead, I mean she can play anything) but she sings like my mum in church :D

One thing I really like doing with music is something I also do with football and both work better in a live setting than on record/TV.
It's to focus on one player in the band or team. Usually it's the bass player, but my ex was a drummer and she'd get up front just to watch whoever was on the kit. With football, it's normally a favourite player or a big name and I remember doing it with Chris Waddle when he was playing for Spurs in the early 90s. Unbelievable style, that guy : he did sod all, just moped about, slope-shouldered, when the other team had the ball, but as soon as Spurs got it, he came alive, looking for space, opening channels, dragging defenders out of position .. and then when he finally got hold of the damned thing he was something else. Beautiful player.
kk white

Post by kk white »

Sniffer wrote:
kk_white wrote:
Yes, sort of, but a band are unlikely to write something they couldn't play. They may well have a level of expertise but, to a certain extent they will be playing in their comfort zone or at least in their style of playing. And then there are the "happenstance moments". There are some incredibly messy guitarists, who make a beautiful noise, who have found their mistakes and sounds away from the main line recorded for posterity and tribute acts have had to try and copy that. My favourite was Steve Marriot of the Small Faces. He had a beautiful left hand that knew exactly where he wanted any guitar line to go but he just chucked his right hand at the strings and hoped for the best. But that's what made his playing exciting. So, in a way, a tribute act has a harder job. They have to learn a style of playing, they have to learn the tune and they have to replicate any mistakes made on original recordings. ;)
I could replicate countless mistakes.... thats about it tho :D . Always loved my music, but never had the time to take up an instrument. To this day I'm jealous of anyone that can hold a tune :(