Gigs

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
LAsouthcoast
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Gigs

Post by LAsouthcoast »

There seems to be a fair bit of interest in music on here, so I thought it might be good if we could put up any future shows, gigs or concerts that you have booked in and then maybe give a little run down on where it was and what you thought of it.
I have three to look forward to, which are The Libertines in Brighton, Future Islands in Bournemouth and Public Broadcasting Services in Bexhill, I have not seen any of them live before so I am looking forward to seeing them.
Deleted User 728

Re: Gigs

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Love PBS - really wanna see them live at some point :)
PockWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by PockWhite »

Recently went up to Glasgow to see a young up and coming band I really like called Stone Broken.
My best mate lives up there and we had a cracking night and they were really good.
Couple of days later we met up in Manchester to see one of our all time fave bands who we've followed for 40 odd years, Cheap Trick. They were awesome as ever & were supported by Stone Broken who, again, we're terrific.
And finally for now I've just booked us tickets to my all time top act, Alice Cooper, in B'ham in November. Even better he's touring with the 3 surviving members of his original band, so can't wait!!
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

Public Service Broadcasting are playing at Beautiful Days Festival that I'm going to in August. Looking forward to seeing them amongst many others. Also booked to see Godspeed You! Black Emperor for my son's 21st. I know very little about them but they're his favourite band and they'll be in Bristol... And I've got tickets for Gaz Brookfield's Christmas gig. That's all so far but I'm sure I'll get to some more by the end of the year.
Deleted User 728

I'm going to the Bingley Music Festival the first weekend of September.
Anyone else from here gonna be there ??

Looks alright - quite cheap, decent line-up - but the main reason I'm coming up is because a friend of mine up there double-booked hotel rooms and can't get a refund :D
PockWhite

Post by PockWhite »

Oh yes also 2 weeks ago today me & Mrs PW had tickets to see Adele's last show of her world tour at Wembley Stadium.
Sadly she cancelled at last minute due to throat problems.
Totally understandable, but we were both really disappointed!
Just shows I have a cultured side to me anorl! ;)
Deleted User 728

PockWhite wrote:Oh yes also 2 weeks ago today me & Mrs PW had tickets to see Adele's last show of her world tour at Wembley Stadium.

I don't get the adulation for Adele though .. I really don't.

Having said that, it's not my kind of music so I don't really care either.
Same with The Libertines. I can't stand their stuff, but again it's not my bag anyway ..
PockWhite

Post by PockWhite »

rigger wrote:
PockWhite wrote:Oh yes also 2 weeks ago today me & Mrs PW had tickets to see Adele's last show of her world tour at Wembley Stadium.

I don't get the adulation for Adele though .. I really don't.

Having said that, it's not my kind of music so I don't really care either.
Same with The Libertines. I can't stand their stuff, but again it's not my bag anyway ..
Musically she's not my bag either really, but hopefully her show would've been spectacular with 90,000+ at Wembley etc?
And, we'd made a long weekend of it in that there London, so all was not lost and we saw a few sights etc? :o
Deleted User 728

I much prefer smaller gigs, myself.
I saw Bowie and the Stones at Wembley stadium and didn't enjoy either gig that much.
Obviously it was great to see a couple of the best acts ever to take the stage, but I would take a smaller arena or theatre every time.
I saw John Lee Hooker at Hammersmith and he was incredible, at times just him with a National steel guitar and nobody else accompanying him.
That felt intimate.
Similarly, I finally saw Yes in Brighton and they had a 40-piece orchestra with them but it still felt like a "small" gig compared to their overblown shows of the 70s.

Weirdly enough, the only big place I like is the O2 in London. I've seen Leonard Cohen, Carmen and Jerry Seinfeld there and each has been magnificent. The sound quality is particularly astounding. But also the view.

Mind you, I was in the VIP bit for all three shows and everything was free, so that helped :)
SCOTTISH LEEDS

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

Three weeks ago saw Blue Oyster Cult at Manchester Academy as they celebrated 45 years on the road.

Had thought about the Cheap Trick gig as well but decided against it due to work, But just bought the new Cheap Trick album last weekend and they are still as good as ever.

Also kicking myself for not going to see them know.