The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Re: HS2

Post by mapperleywhite »

rigger wrote:
rss1969 wrote:
rigger wrote:
How about building 6 lanes on our current motorways and ditching this nonsense?
Yep, I'd go along with that, or indeed any other plan to ease congestion.

I know in Lagos and Tokyo they've tried alternate days for cars with plates ending in even numbers one day and odd the next, Monday to Friday.
It sounds laughable but if it means a percentage of people get into car sharing and exploring public transport then it could be worth experimenting with. Also, the lane thing in the US where only cars with at least one passenger can use them.

I also really like the M6 toll - it saves AGES coming down that way.
Very constructive that Paul. The alternative days for car plates is, as I recall, used in quite a few cities worldwide; and also had experience of the HOV lanes in the US, another good idea.

One of the issues in the UK is that we have a unique and challenging topography. Everybody wants to live in London and the south east. France and especially Germany have no such constraints, AND they have much more land on which to build houses, new roads and railways.

We might be cynical about 'northern powerhouses' but maybe if HS2 served the needs of northern cities, rather than being focussed on getting everyone to London it would generate more support.
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....