Women's Sport

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Deleted User 2747

Women's Sport

Post by Deleted User 2747 »

Just want to say how impressed I have been with the women's football and cricket teams. (I don't watch rugby)

Women's football and cricket have come a long way and I believe they have finally broken through so many of the barriers.

I am so proud of the England teams, the skills and the mental attitudes of the teams are truly impressive. The cricket team were amazing last weekend to win the world cup with their cool never say die approach and it was a tense and tantalising final. Now the football team are in the semi-finals of the European tournament, having just beaten France, with a gritty performance.

Long may it continue!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Women's Sport

Post by Selby White »

Didn't watch the cricket but have been following the football. Thought last night we were excellent against a very good team.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Deleted User 2747

Well done to the England Women's Rugby team for reaching the final of The World Cup.

Such an impressive side, play some fantastic rugby and never give up! Brilliant to watch!

Tonights match against France has been excellent!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

England's women showing the men a thing or two about 100% commitment!

(I know I said I don't watch rugby, but these women make it a fabulous game to watch!)
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

Didn't watch it. Great effort to reach any final tho. :thumbup: :clap:
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

The England womens rugby and cricket teams seem to play their games to a higher standard than the England womens football team. This could, of course, be because there is more (and better) competition in football. I don't know why, but in womens football the weakness, in most teams it should be said, is the goalkeeping and the heading.
I once played against Don Revie.
Deleted User 2747

Don't forget:

England vs New Zealand Women's Rugby World Cup final 2017
Live on ITV 7.15
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

I'm having the pleasure of watching the Australian Women's Team (The Matildas) playing tonight against Brasil. A few months ago the Aussie girls won a tournament which featured Japan, USA and Brasil. They had never beaten the US and gave Brasil a 6-1 flogging.

The game in Newastle NSW tonight is the second of the Brasilian tour as they played in Penrith NSW on Saturday which Australia won 2-1, i'm looking forward to seeing this game as the Women's team is on fire and outshining their male counterparts.
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

Mr Russell wrote:I'm having the pleasure of watching the Australian Women's Team (The Matildas) playing tonight against Brasil. A few months ago the Aussie girls won a tournament which featured Japan, USA and Brasil. They had never beaten the US and gave Brasil a 6-1 flogging.

The game in Newastle NSW tonight is the second of the Brasilian tour as they played in Penrith NSW on Saturday which Australia won 2-1, i'm looking forward to seeing this game as the Women's team is on fire and outshining their male counterparts.
Australia 3 (Kerr 2, Foord) Brasil 2 (Fabiano, Marta (p))
Att nearly 17000

Biggest crowd for a female fixture in Australia (bar Olympics of course).

Really good game and joy to see an Aussie team keen on attacking (take note Socceroos) their opponents and outplaying them for most of the game. Brasil actually took the lead in the 1st minute when Marta crossed for Fabiano to tap in from close range. Brasil were the better team at the start and look dangerous on the break but as the half wore on Australia started to take control and really should have scored before they did.

Kerr the star of the Matildas brought them level with a superb header (Lee Chapman like) which gave the keeper no chance, Emily Van Egmond had floated over the free kick which had caused all sorts of problems for the Brasil defense and Kerr did the rest. They should have take the lead but Raso shot wide and Gorry hit the post when she should have hit the net.

1-1 at half time

Foord came on as a sub and within a few minutes she had scored after Gorry had miskicked and the ball came to Foord and she slotted into an empty net for 2-1.

Australia were in firm control now and it was in the 66th minute when Kerr got her second after Van Egmond fed Logazo on the left and she whipped in a cross which Kerr met and blasted home from close range, she then did her traditional goal celebration which the crowd loved. She did have the ball in the net again but was judge off side.

Australia went into cruise control once they were 3-1 up and in the last 10 minutes was when Brasil looked dangerous again and it was their hero Marta who earned the one of the dodgiest penalties you will see as she was barely touched but went down as if a sniper had got her. She converted from the spot to make it 3-2.

Luckily it woke the Matilda's up and they closed the game out with ease to win 3-2 and earn me $80 :D , thanks for that ladies!

After the game some of the Brasilian girls refused to shake hands with the Aussies which was very poor and have been roundly given stick for, other than that it was really enjoyable and hope to see them again. Although Marta has been player of the season for many years i was disappointed in her actions as she fell to the ground (like the men do) way too easily whilst everybody else played hard and got on with the game.

For the Aussies Kerry and Van Egmond stole the show.
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Deleted User 2747

Mr Russell wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:I'm having the pleasure of watching the Australian Women's Team (The Matildas) playing tonight against Brasil. A few months ago the Aussie girls won a tournament which featured Japan, USA and Brasil. They had never beaten the US and gave Brasil a 6-1 flogging.

Australia 3 (Kerr 2, Foord) Brasil 2 (Fabiano, Marta (p))
Att nearly 17000

Biggest crowd for a female fixture in Australia (bar Olympics of course).

Really good game and joy to see an Aussie team keen on attacking (take note Socceroos) their opponents and outplaying them for most of the game. Brasil actually took the lead in the 1st minute when Marta crossed for Fabiano to tap in from close range. Brasil were the better team at the start and look dangerous on the break but as the half wore on Australia started to take control and really should have scored before they did.

Kerr the star of the Matildas brought them level with a superb header (Lee Chapman like) which gave the keeper no chance, Emily Van Egmond had floated over the free kick which had caused all sorts of problems for the Brasil defense and Kerr did the rest. They should have take the lead but Raso shot wide and Gorry hit the post when she should have hit the net.

1-1 at half time

Foord came on as a sub and within a few minutes she had scored after Gorry had miskicked and the ball came to Foord and she slotted into an empty net for 2-1.

Australia were in firm control now and it was in the 66th minute when Kerr got her second after Van Egmond fed Logazo on the left and she whipped in a cross which Kerr met and blasted home from close range, she then did her traditional goal celebration which the crowd loved. She did have the ball in the net again but was judge off side.

Australia went into cruise control once they were 3-1 up and in the last 10 minutes was when Brasil looked dangerous again and it was their hero Marta who earned the one of the dodgiest penalties you will see as she was barely touched but went down as if a sniper had got her. She converted from the spot to make it 3-2.

Luckily it woke the Matilda's up and they closed the game out with ease to win 3-2 and earn me $80 :D , thanks for that ladies!

After the game some of the Brasilian girls refused to shake hands with the Aussies which was very poor and have been roundly given stick for, other than that it was really enjoyable and hope to see them again. Although Marta has been player of the season for many years i was disappointed in her actions as she fell to the ground (like the men do) way too easily whilst everybody else played hard and got on with the game.

For the Aussies Kerry and Van Egmond stole the show.

Thanks for the report. :thumbup:
White Knight
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by White Knight »

A new world record for the attendance at a women's sporting event was set in Dublin yesterday. Dublin played Mayo in the All Ireland Gaelic Football final in Croke Park. The attendance was 46,286, which compares to 35,271 (the next largest attendance) that attended last May's FA cup final in Wembley.

It was shown live on TV and the audience viewing peaked at just over 409,000 which set another record in Ireland.

Interest continues to grow and that drives participation and quality. :clap: