Sports you don't get

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Deleted User 728

Re: Sports you don't get

Post by Deleted User 728 »

One thing I did get in to for a year was speedway.
I was working down in Poole and one of my colleagues used to go with his young son and I tagged along one night and found it really exciting.

It's very loud and there's a (beautiful) strong smell of methanol in the air as it's the fuel the bikes use.
They only have one gear, no brakes and accelerate up to 80mph on the straights, but it's really about how you take the first bend that decides each heat.
Sometimes riders cut each other up deliberately and then - literally - the gloves come off and they beat seven shades out of each other.
It's a bit like in NHL when the players lose it and sometimes there's a brawl :D

It's amazing.
A great spectacle if you're there, but I've tried watching it on TV and it doesn't translate very well.
Deleted User 1022

Post by Deleted User 1022 »

For me it has to be basketball. I love most sports but basketball irritates me. I think its the squeaking of the players shoes on the Court. What makes it worse is that I moved to the Philippines where they love it as a national sport and football is not so well liked.
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

Water polo. I just don't know what kind of sick mind came up with that as an idea for a sport. It's so cruel. Those poor horses.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

CorkWhite wrote:For me it has to be basketball. I love most sports but basketball irritates me. I think its the squeaking of the players shoes on the Court. What makes it worse is that I moved to the Philippines where they love it as a national sport and football is not so well liked.
Makes your neck sore too, swinging from one end to the other.

I hate American sports generally because they all score so highly, ice hockey being the exception and the closest thing to football. Coincidence ? I doubt it ..

I'm with the Italians : the perfect game is a 0-0.
That Milan - Juve final a few years back was absolutely riveting stuff.
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Sniffer wrote:Water polo. I just don't know what kind of sick mind came up with that as an idea for a sport. It's so cruel. Those poor horses.

:lol: :lol: