Worcester Area

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: Worcester Area

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Not a million miles away but the black & white villages of Herefordshire are truly spectacular. We have a favourite B&B just outside the village of Dilwyn. Weobley which recently featured on the one show is one of the prettiest villages I've ever been to.
Winner of the Europa League
cheffy007
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by cheffy007 »

My mum and my sister both live in Droitwich. Last time I was up (sadly for my Dads funeral) we had a great meal and a good pint at the Castle in Droitwich. Also Portofino Italian restaurant (Droitwich) comes very highly recommended. I was at college in Worcester but it's changed a lot in past 33 years. I think Browns down by the river is still there, it was top notch back in the day. If you fancy a short drive out for a great carvery I can recommend the Eagle and Sun at Hanbury wharf. You can walk off your meal afterwards with a cracking stroll up the canal back to Worcester or up to Stoke Pound and pop into the Navigation Inn for a nice pint of Banks' Mild. Hope that helps and enjoy my old stamping ground.
For homemade pickles, chutneys and tomato ketchup, go to www.stuckinapickle.co.uk
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Thanks Cheffy :thumbup:

One of the great things about this forum it doesn't matter where you are going or what you are doing someone will be able to offer useful advice.

As we will be visiting the area a few times all the advice from everyone is very much appreciated.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Not a million miles away but the black & white villages of Herefordshire are truly spectacular. We have a favourite B&B just outside the village of Dilwyn. Weobley which recently featured on the one show is one of the prettiest villages I've ever been to.
Not heard of those NW will look up the area as are often looking for good places to visit and stop over on our trips.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Main Street Weobley the rest of the village is equally stunning

Winner of the Europa League
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

cheffy007 wrote:My mum and my sister both live in Droitwich. Last time I was up (sadly for my Dads funeral) we had a great meal and a good pint at the Castle in Droitwich. Also Portofino Italian restaurant (Droitwich) comes very highly recommended. I was at college in Worcester but it's changed a lot in past 33 years. I think Browns down by the river is still there, it was top notch back in the day. If you fancy a short drive out for a great carvery I can recommend the Eagle and Sun at Hanbury wharf. You can walk off your meal afterwards with a cracking stroll up the canal back to Worcester or up to Stoke Pound and pop into the Navigation Inn for a nice pint of Banks' Mild. Hope that helps and enjoy my old stamping ground.
cheffy, my son was at Worcester College mid-1980's, sounds like you were there about the same time?
I once played against Don Revie.
cheffy007
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by cheffy007 »

johnh wrote:
cheffy007 wrote:My mum and my sister both live in Droitwich. Last time I was up (sadly for my Dads funeral) we had a great meal and a good pint at the Castle in Droitwich. Also Portofino Italian restaurant (Droitwich) comes very highly recommended. I was at college in Worcester but it's changed a lot in past 33 years. I think Browns down by the river is still there, it was top notch back in the day. If you fancy a short drive out for a great carvery I can recommend the Eagle and Sun at Hanbury wharf. You can walk off your meal afterwards with a cracking stroll up the canal back to Worcester or up to Stoke Pound and pop into the Navigation Inn for a nice pint of Banks' Mild. Hope that helps and enjoy my old stamping ground.
cheffy, my son was at Worcester College mid-1980's, sounds like you were there about the same time?
Small world Johnh. I was doing the city and guilds cookery course from 1983- 1986. What course was Johnh Jr doing?
For homemade pickles, chutneys and tomato ketchup, go to www.stuckinapickle.co.uk
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Cheffy, he was there 1981 - 1984. His course was Combined Studies but I can't remember the subjects. He lives in York now but still has contact with some of the guys he met at Worcester. Remember going to his degree ceremony in Worcester Cathedral, remember it as a very attractive place.
I once played against Don Revie.
dlw10
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by dlw10 »

Selby White wrote:That's great DLW looking at the walk we are intending to do its a circular and one of the places you can park and start from is at the British Camp (others are Colwall station, Gardiners quarry or Black Hill).
Don't know the area at all but Cathy said she wanted to visit the Malverns and as we often drive past heading to the south west, we've booked to stay in the area and planned the walk. In fact the website we found had 7 walks so we'll be visiting again I'm sure to do each one in turn on future trips.
Probably will not get to the Swan this time as will take packed lunch on the walk then will be driving to Taunton and out for a meal there. All info is good even if not on this trip on future visits.

We are staying just off the M5 but near junction 5, just at a holiday inn express but planning to go into Worcester the day we arrive.
Have a great time, all you need is the weather to be decent... you don''t want to be up there on there on the hills if the wind is howling or it's pouring down! Believe it or not I saw the hills almost every day of my life for 18 years yet only went up on then a handful of times!!!!
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

dlw10 wrote:
Selby White wrote:That's great DLW looking at the walk we are intending to do its a circular and one of the places you can park and start from is at the British Camp (others are Colwall station, Gardiners quarry or Black Hill).
Don't know the area at all but Cathy said she wanted to visit the Malverns and as we often drive past heading to the south west, we've booked to stay in the area and planned the walk. In fact the website we found had 7 walks so we'll be visiting again I'm sure to do each one in turn on future trips.
Probably will not get to the Swan this time as will take packed lunch on the walk then will be driving to Taunton and out for a meal there. All info is good even if not on this trip on future visits.

We are staying just off the M5 but near junction 5, just at a holiday inn express but planning to go into Worcester the day we arrive.
Have a great time, all you need is the weather to be decent... you don''t want to be up there on there on the hills if the wind is howling or it's pouring down! Believe it or not I saw the hills almost every day of my life for 18 years yet only went up on then a handful of times!!!!
Weather can be a gamble so fingers are crossed. The write up for the walk must mention the wind because Cathy said if it's windy we need to do the route in the right direction so it's a back wind for the high section.

We've started logging our walks with photos so will put a link up on here for this one once it's done.