Worcester Area

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Worcester Area

Post by Selby White »

Can anyone recommend any good restaurants or eating pubs in the Worcester/Droitwich area.
Got a overnight stop weekend after next and no very little about the area.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: Worcester Area

Post by NottinghamWhite »

When we stayed for the cricket this year we stayed at the Premier Inn & ate there both nights it was actually above decent. Talking of the cricket ground there's a fabulous little cafe called Foleys which hasn't been open long I highly recommend it. Fantastic coffee & views over the most picturesque cricket ground in the land. All of which are an easy walk from the city centre. If it's a nice day have a beer at Browns at the Quay, lovely views of the river & all that's going on from rowers to the bevy of swans you see, the food looked nice as well.
Winner of the Europa League
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Last time we visited Worcester we ate at a tapas bar called The Olive Branch we shared a paella which was delicious can't honestly say whether it was expensive or not as we were treated.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

NW/Chilly,
Thanks
We are actually staying Friday night at the Holiday Inn express Droitwich which does have an Harvester next door so may end up eating there.

Plan is to go down early and spend Friday lunch and afternoon in Worcester so will have a look at the places you suggest.

Saturday (weather permitting) we are doing a walk in the Malverns before moving south to Taunton for a couple of nights.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

I know you know Taunton well but we were hooked on eating at Brazz which is at The Castle Hotel thought the food was top drawer in there.
Winner of the Europa League
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

NottinghamWhite wrote:I know you know Taunton well but we were hooked on eating at Brazz which is at The Castle Hotel thought the food was top drawer in there.
Yes know that one although not eaten there. have had a beer at the bar opposite and also at the Winchester Arms nearby. Cathy was brought up in Taunton and her brother has moved back there, actually bought there old family house since their Dad passed away. We spent a bit of time house sitting and gardening while it was up for sale (before her brother stepped in) so got to know the area.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Try and get hold of DLW, he lives down that way and will no doubt be able to point you in the right direction.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Barlow Boy wrote:Try and get hold of DLW, he lives down that way and will no doubt be able to point you in the right direction.
The problem is, he spends most of his time all over the country visiting football grounds. Probably can't find is way around Worcester. :D
I once played against Don Revie.
dlw10
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by dlw10 »

You boys will be the death of me with your sarcasm!!!!!
yep, I lived in Great Malvern for the first 18 years of my life.... but that was now a long time ago!!! Someone asked about Worcester a while ago and I mentioned the only place I have really used lately and that was the Swan at Whittington which is just off junction 7 of the M5 (follow signs for city centre to the right after the slip road and then turn right at the next roundabout- you can't miss it) If you were after a lunchtime pint and food or an early evening meal it's perfect.
Other than that there are some great pubs in Malvern or Upton on Severn most of which these days do food. If you are doing the walk on the hills and you don't know the area head for the British Camp Hotel
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserR ... re_En.html

If you wanted to know anything specific give me a shout.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

That's great DLW looking at the walk we are intending to do its a circular and one of the places you can park and start from is at the British Camp (others are Colwall station, Gardiners quarry or Black Hill).
Don't know the area at all but Cathy said she wanted to visit the Malverns and as we often drive past heading to the south west, we've booked to stay in the area and planned the walk. In fact the website we found had 7 walks so we'll be visiting again I'm sure to do each one in turn on future trips.
Probably will not get to the Swan this time as will take packed lunch on the walk then will be driving to Taunton and out for a meal there. All info is good even if not on this trip on future visits.

We are staying just off the M5 but near junction 5, just at a holiday inn express but planning to go into Worcester the day we arrive.