What are you having for dinner tonight

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Re: What are you having for dinner tonight

Post by mapperleywhite »

ChilwellWhite wrote:
mapperleywhite wrote:Scampi, fish and chips from the magnificent Cods Scallops....
There's one in Long Eaton now so we will be giving it a try :thumbup:
Yeah, Long Eaton just opened last weekend. Our local (Carrington) recently finished in the top five in the UK; we got a portion of scampi and just one cod because the fish are so big we can't finish two.

Must say last nights chips were down on their usual high standard.

But eveything done the proper (Yorkshire) way in beef dripping.
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
mapperleywhite

Post by mapperleywhite »

Sniffer wrote:I had teriyaki donburi: beef brisket in a teriyaki sauce with sticky white rice. topped with shredded carrots, pea shoots, spring onions and sesame seeds. served with a side of kimchee at Wagamama up Cribbs. The better half had a chicken Pad Thai. We then went to see Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. A REALLY good film (just in case you didn't believe the BAFTAs). ;)
Sniffer - how did you rate Wagamama? I've only ever been once in London and wasn't impressed and it looks pricey for what it is.
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

mapperleywhite wrote:
Sniffer wrote:I had teriyaki donburi: beef brisket in a teriyaki sauce with sticky white rice. topped with shredded carrots, pea shoots, spring onions and sesame seeds. served with a side of kimchee at Wagamama up Cribbs. The better half had a chicken Pad Thai. We then went to see Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. A REALLY good film (just in case you didn't believe the BAFTAs). ;)
Sniffer - how did you rate Wagamama? I've only ever been once in London and wasn't impressed and it looks pricey for what it is.
That was the first time I've been to one. We'd been meaning to go to one for years but never got round to it. It wasn't cheap - £30 for the two meals, a small beer and a coke - but the food was good. I would probably go again to try other things on the menu but there are cheaper, more authentic noodle bars, in the centre of Bristol that I would prefer. Ramen's got a bit trendy with the youth it seems and that, coupled with the east Asian student population, has meant a growth in basic but tasty Japanese/Korean restaurants here. All good with me as I've been doing that sort of thing since I got back from Thailand 25 years ago. :)
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Just a sandwich tonight as I have just made myself - Lamb chop (big one) new pots, sprouts, peas, gravy and mint sauce. Her indoors comes home tomorrow.
I once played against Don Revie.
mapperleywhite

Post by mapperleywhite »

Sniffer wrote:
mapperleywhite wrote:
That was the first time I've been to one. We'd been meaning to go to one for years but never got round to it. It wasn't cheap - £30 for the two meals, a small beer and a coke - but the food was good. I would probably go again to try other things on the menu but there are cheaper, more authentic noodle bars, in the centre of Bristol that I would prefer. Ramen's got a bit trendy with the youth it seems and that, coupled with the east Asian student population, has meant a growth in basic but tasty Japanese/Korean restaurants here. All good with me as I've been doing that sort of thing since I got back from Thailand 25 years ago. :)
Nottingham used to be, and may still be, the only British university with a campus in China (near Shanghai, I think). As a result we have a sizeable Chinese student population and there is one sector of the city centre that has developed into restaurants, shops etc catering for their needs. We ate at a place that does Sechuan food recently and no concessions are made to European's tastes; fortunately we chose well and had a fabulous meal with generous portions meaning we got take-away too! We've also got - much like Bristol I imagine - Korean/Japanese eateries which do things like gyoza with fish eggs and cheese (wonderful!) and Vietnamese tray coffee (haven't tried it). These places all do a variety of noodle dishes that I'd rather try before a chain like Wagamama.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Not a lot for dinner been for a carvery at Drax club for lunch.
Totally stuffed.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Have had no appetite for a week with this cough and cold. Just been snacking. Woke up yesterday feeling a lot better. Went out for the first time in a week, called in the butcher's and treated myself to a nice large fillet steak. Had it earlier with new pots, broccoli and sprouts plus mandatory glass of red. Cleared the plate.
That will do me until breakfast tomorrow. Just a mug of tea and a biscuit this evening.
I once played against Don Revie.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

We had a Chinese takeaway last night & as usual our eyes were bigger than our bellies. Just had the remainder for lunch, why does it always taste better the day after :roll:
Winner of the Europa League
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Chilli con carne in fact I've just finished making it. Rice and garlic bread to accompany it.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

NottinghamWhite wrote:We had a Chinese takeaway last night & as usual our eyes were bigger than our bellies. Just had the remainder for lunch, why does it always taste better the day after :roll:
I know with an Indian curry, it tastes better the day after as the sauce and spices etc, soak into the meat/veg overnight. It was on a television programme regarding Indian cooking.

We get Indian takeaways from a regular place, and the portions are way too big for us so we spread them over two nights. Always better the day after.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.