Politics

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Deleted User 3289

Re: Politics

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

johnh wrote:
Sovietmule wrote:
Viduka Hits The Mark wrote: Never heard of the guy tbf Sov. He did call for more weirdo's tho Dom so i guess he's answered the call. The term Eugenics went out with the Dinosaurs, Class & wealth does the job, doesn't it? Anyway there is a new God in town called CRISPR and sadly this time its not going away. We all better start saving up!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000dt7d

Fascinating watch for anyone with a passing interest in that sort of thing.

Its not just Cummings with hostility towards the BBC. :D If anyone ever watched Question time during the last 3 years as a Leave voter? well it was the equivalent of going to a seal sanctuary at feeding time with Alastair Campball throwing the fish. It became embarrassing for a supposed impartial broadcaster. And anyway apparently the young generation hardly watch the BBC so they shouldn't be saddled with more debt. From a personal perspective its worth the price just to watch a program without adverts. ;) Although now catch up cuts them out anyway.
Maybe that's why it's it's kicked off a bit, people thought the idea of eugenics being promoted by those either close to or in power had indeed been consigned to the way back, to the 1930's and 40's. Seems not. I've read a bit about CRISPR and, in my limited understanding, see the difference between that and eugenics as being CRISPR is a specific technique (which could be used by individuals or as part of a programme of eugenics or as a stand-alone treatment) and eugenics is an advocacy for and belief in selective breeding.

I agree with you on social class and wealth, it makes sure the best jobs got to those (and only those) from the correct social class with the correct amount of wealth, doesn't it?

Thanks for the heads-up to the CRISPR prog. Haven't watched it yet but will do. That Storyville stuff is often brilliant, isn't it? I re-watched the Duterte one recently and watched the Mladic one last week, interesting stuff. ‘Found’ another storyville about Daag Hammerskjold’s killing. Doesn’t sound very interesting but it’s defo worth a watch if you’re interested in that kind of thing.

Your bbc comments are interesting, I feel exactly the same. I haven't watched any BBC current affairs or news output for ages for exactly the same reasons as you gave. Only from exactly the opposite viewpoint. I voted Remain and saw the BBC coverage as very heavily Leave biased. Seems we both looked at the same things and came to different conclusions. Confirming our own biases maybe?

I'm feeling generally uneasy especially about the direction of things given the well-trodden 'fascist' narrative path trodden by Cummings and Johnson (same as Trump, Putin, Erdogan, Orban etc) in their bid for power. Particularly now the eugenics thing has been raised, the attacks on BBC and Channel4 and not forgetting their ‘constitutional reform’ of the Supreme Court.

How far will they go? Who knows, time will tell I suppose.

I've banged on abit ... sometimes I do!!

... just heard Sabisky has resigned. Maybe a storm in a teacup or, as Fintan O'Toole puts it, maybe it was a 'trial run'

Cheers.
Yes, I believe the BBC were biased towards Leave too. They had the cheek to put one Leaver in a Remainer Question Time panel on a regular basis.
Its official. :D

https://www.spiked-online.com/2019/04/1 ... tronghold/
Sovietmule
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by Sovietmule »

Lol, Brendan O'Neill as a source of validation.
Deleted User 3289

Budget day today. Just as i was thinking we really are going to see a upward trend in Government spending in this budget, like a bad virus stuck in the system, corvid 19 will no doubt suck the air from the positive headlines. Being new to Politics i was looking forward to this tranformative Budget after the last 10 years of austerity.

I must be lucky living here in Blackpool the bus service's are fantastic. Wifi, usb points on both tram and bus. 4 Buses every hour both ways and the last time i caught the Train even they were modern. So the wheels are already turning up here. The worst train i have caught recently was the Crewe to Derby train, it was 1 carriage and it was literally raining in thru the windows. I guess it all depends on where you live.
Sovietmule

Post by Sovietmule »

Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:Budget day today. Just as i was thinking we really are going to see a upward trend in Government spending in this budget, like a bad virus stuck in the system, corvid 19 will no doubt suck the air from the positive headlines. Being new to Politics i was looking forward to this tranformative Budget after the last 10 years of austerity.

I must be lucky living here in Blackpool the bus service's are fantastic. Wifi, usb points on both tram and bus. 4 Buses every hour both ways and the last time i caught the Train even they were modern. So the wheels are already turning up here. The worst train i have caught recently was the Crewe to Derby train, it was 1 carriage and it was literally raining in thru the windows. I guess it all depends on where you live.
A Conservative chancellor delivering a Labour budget, who'd have thought? So there is a 'Magic Money Tree' after all.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Sovietmule wrote:
Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:Budget day today. Just as i was thinking we really are going to see a upward trend in Government spending in this budget, like a bad virus stuck in the system, corvid 19 will no doubt suck the air from the positive headlines. Being new to Politics i was looking forward to this tranformative Budget after the last 10 years of austerity.

A Conservative chancellor delivering a Labour budget, who'd have thought? So there is a 'Magic Money Tree' after all.
Events dear boy, events.
I once played against Don Revie.
Sovietmule

Post by Sovietmule »

johnh wrote: Events dear boy, events.
That was McMillan responding to the question "what would blow the government off course?" wasn't it?
I'm guessing you are referring to the direction the Conservative party has taken today, right?

To me today's statement seems to be more like a course being set. What do you reckon?
Deleted User 3289

It was always going to be a loosening of the purse strings wasn't it? I mean the Tories have done the hard fiscal work over the last 10 years. Austerity just wasn't a option this time. Its time to spend and move further into Labour territory. The sad thing is, i think it may have been even more ambitious without the Coronavirus outbreak? and tbh we still don't really know how this is going to affect economies around the world and more importantly for how long.

If i'm honest i watched the budget live and Rishi did inspire me once he got in his stride, but its all just a bunch of big numbers to me. I will wait until the penny drops and the media can pick apart what it means in reality after a few years in office. I'm not the type to get the calculator out and see if i'm better off, as long as we all benefit at some level that will do for me. I even heard Rishi talk about Football pitches being laid? I'm aware there is no magic wand to fix all the issues in society but Infrastructure, education, skills, jobs, technology & Science and a minimum wage of £10ph is not a bad start.

Despite the crisis of Caronavirus Labour are still busy choosing their next leader. Not like anyone cares its been going on that long. Its like that Ghost Train ride a Blackpool, you ride through it all and then just before the end, there is 3 skeletons riding bicycles and going round in circles. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if the Labour party thought the contest would be the main focus of the media. Well it was for about 2 weeks so that went well.
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

As I've probably said before Labour paved the way for the Tories to gain a large majority by proving to be inept opposition at a time when we needed a vigorous debate about Brexit. Just blocking everything that was put forward and sitting on the fence about whether they were pro or con Brexit was a disaster that drove voters away, amongst other things.

That can only be laid at the door of the leader. Any politician with integrity, credibility or desire to serve their country would have resigned after such a disastrous election result.

But here we are, four months later, and we still have to listen to Corbyn in his favoured 'critical observer' role. It's not good.
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
Sovietmule

Post by Sovietmule »

Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:It was always going to be a loosening of the purse strings wasn't it? I mean the Tories have done the hard fiscal work over the last 10 years. Austerity just wasn't a option this time.
I suppose they had to promise spending today on the back of all the talk of 'levelling up' whatever that means.

Austerity was a political choice last time, driven by the idiocy and ideology of the Chuckle Brothers aka Cameron and Osbourne; nothing more or less. There are two main aims to the policy - 1 to reduce the deficit, 2 to reduce debt. Whilst they may have reduced the deficit to 1.3% or thereabouts of GDP (by cutting public spending by something like 30 billion or so) they have failed miserably in reducing debt - surprise, surprise.

If by 'hard fiscal work' you mean increased the debt then I would agree, as since austerity began they have increased the debt from 65% of GP to 83% (approx) this year. Austerity doesn't work and arguably never has. Mark Blyth is a renowned expert on the subject and has written extensively on the pointlessness of austerity and has some decent videos on youtube too.

So, I suppose we'll see what happens with their spending plans but I'll concede it seems like a political shift.
mapperleywhite wrote:As I've probably said before Labour paved the way for the Tories to gain a large majority by proving to be inept opposition at a time when we needed a vigorous debate about Brexit. Just blocking everything that was put forward and sitting on the fence about whether they were pro or con Brexit was a disaster that drove voters away, amongst other things.

That can only be laid at the door of the leader. Any politician with integrity, credibility or desire to serve their country would have resigned after such a disastrous election result.

But here we are, four months later, and we still have to listen to Corbyn in his favoured 'critical observer' role. It's not good.
Yeah, I agree. At the time the UK needed a proper functioning opposition it had Jeremy Corbyn. It's almost unfathomable to me that, after an electoral defeat of historic proportions, he's still the leader of the Labour party! Corbyn, Milne, Lavery, McCluskey, Lansman etc. have a lot to answer for.

It seems the Labour left will always be content with being a party of opposition. Just look at Long-Bailey and Burgon.

Burgon's manifesto for deputy leader states his three priorities as: Open Selection, hardwired public ownership and a Peace Pledge. All laudable I'm sure but is that what people in the country really care about?

RLB goes on about not retreating from 'popular policies'. What popular policies is she talking about? The ones that were roundly rejected at the last election, surely not???

I watched 'Labour - The Wilderness Years' on youtube last year and the themes running through that series are echoing loudly and clearly today.

Rant over, I'm going out with the dog.
Deleted User 3289

mapperleywhite wrote:As I've probably said before Labour paved the way for the Tories to gain a large majority by proving to be inept opposition at a time when we needed a vigorous debate about Brexit. Just blocking everything that was put forward and sitting on the fence about whether they were pro or con Brexit was a disaster that drove voters away, amongst other things.

Corbyn couldn't lead the Brexit debate because he is a Euro-sceptic. So he left his mate in charge Starmer and we all know how that went. The media seems to have forgot but i haven't, and i'm sure most of the Labour MP'S who lost their seats have longer memories. It was Starmers 6 Brexit tests that paved the way for the Tory majority and to think that TM bent over backwards to meet all of them in the end to save her skin. Labour would STOP at nothing to thwart that first democratic referendum and the people were having none of it.