Politics

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Deleted User 3289

Re: Politics

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

The financial pressures must be tough at the top? Maybe they are all skint?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 29141.html

Time to do away with Cronyism. I think the the Lords will end up being the next target for Farage now Brexit is over. Providing they don't try and bribe him beforehand.
White Knight
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by White Knight »

There’s real disappointment in both Northern Ireland and Ireland that Julian Smith, Northern Ireland Secretary of State, was sacked by Johnson/Cummings today. He seemed to have been one of those few people that can reach across divides and bring people together. Hence he was key to getting the Northern Ireland executive back up and running. This ultimately stabilizes NI and allows normal politics and life to resume.

After his sacking he has received high praise from all sides in Ireland - very rare. Poor consideration for the unique challenges NI has by Johnson - not surprising but worrying for the future :roll: !
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

White Knight wrote:There’s real disappointment in both Northern Ireland and Ireland that Julian Smith, Northern Ireland Secretary of State, was sacked by Johnson/Cummings today. He seemed to have been one of those few people that can reach across divides and bring people together. Hence he was key to getting the Northern Ireland executive back up and running. This ultimately stabilizes NI and allows normal politics and life to resume.

After his sacking he has received high praise from all sides in Ireland - very rare. Poor consideration for the unique challenges NI has by Johnson - not surprising but worrying for the future :roll: !
This
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Deleted User 3289

White Knight wrote:There’s real disappointment in both Northern Ireland and Ireland that Julian Smith, Northern Ireland Secretary of State, was sacked by Johnson/Cummings today. He seemed to have been one of those few people that can reach across divides and bring people together. Hence he was key to getting the Northern Ireland executive back up and running. This ultimately stabilizes NI and allows normal politics and life to resume.

Ireland would say that wouldn't they? :D Joking apart and dare i say it? (well yeah) i think it has more to do with Brexit than anything else, all parties realising they wouldn't have much influence on the sidelines so it was time to get their acts together (and not before time). I'm sure over the last couple of years there has been some warm words from other Northern Ireland secretaries to no avail.

From my perspective Dominic Cummings is constantly being thrown to the sharks in the media, but he has got very little wrong if he really is the font of all pervading knowledge in Government. I'm even in the (we probably could have spent the HS2 money more wisely camp) but i'm also aware that modern Britain needs urtra modern trains, even if it only means you serve London quicker by about 20mins. :shh:
hashtagleedsunited
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by hashtagleedsunited »

Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:

Ireland would say that wouldn't they? :D Joking apart and dare i say it? (well yeah) i think it has more to do with Brexit than anything else, all parties realising they wouldn't have much influence on the sidelines so it was time to get their acts together (and not before time). I'm sure over the last couple of years there has been some warm words from other Northern Ireland secretaries to no avail.

From my perspective Dominic Cummings is constantly being thrown to the sharks in the media, but he has got very little wrong if he really is the font of all pervading knowledge in Government. I'm even in the (we probably could have spent the HS2 money more wisely camp) but i'm also aware that modern Britain needs urtra modern trains, even if it only means you serve London quicker by about 20mins. :shh:
@whiteknight
You are correct and right in your assessment, and indeed the reaction!! :clap:

As for Cummings, he is a strategist WITH POWER. (i.e. open to abuse)
IMHO his reformation of combining 10 and 11 into an integrated approach might actually be successful,
however the jury is still out in that regards, as centralization / decentralization has its own pitfalls.

In Summary.
Life is too short for confrontation, and I am not knocking your opinion at all,
but please remember that a little knowledge is often a dangerous thing,
especially where the politics of NI are concerned. :twisted:
Try asking those of us liberal minded people who actually live here :|
Deleted User 3289

hashtagleedsunited wrote:
Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:

@whiteknight
You are correct and right in your assessment, and indeed the reaction!! :clap:

As for Cummings, he is a strategist WITH POWER. (i.e. open to abuse)
IMHO his reformation of combining 10 and 11 into an integrated approach might actually be successful,
however the jury is still out in that regards, as centralization / decentralization has its own pitfalls.

In Summary.
Life is too short for confrontation, and I am not knocking your opinion at all,
but please remember that a little knowledge is often a dangerous thing,
especially where the politics of NI are concerned
. :twisted:
Try asking those of us liberal minded people who actually live here :|

Tbf i have no idea what role Julian Smith played in getting Storemont back up and running but for you guys i'm glad it is. Thanks for agreeing about my political environment main point. :thumbup: I'm not sure what POWER Dominic Cummings has? If you mean that the PM listens to him then i guess that's what he pays him for. :thumbup:
Sovietmule

Post by Sovietmule »

Viduka Hits The Mark wrote: From my perspective Dominic Cummings is constantly being thrown to the sharks in the media, but he has got very little wrong if he really is the font of all pervading knowledge in Government.
I think we have different views on Cummings - nothing wrong with that - I see him more as one of Putin's useful idiots.
Interested to hear what you think about Cummings' latest:

1. His appointment of Andrew Sabisky, a proponent of eugenics.
2. His hostility towards the BBC and promise to remove the licence fee.
Deleted User 3289

Sovietmule wrote:
Viduka Hits The Mark wrote: From my perspective Dominic Cummings is constantly being thrown to the sharks in the media, but he has got very little wrong if he really is the font of all pervading knowledge in Government.
I think we have different views on Cummings - nothing wrong with that - I see him more as one of Putin's useful idiots.
Interested to hear what you think about Cummings' latest:

1. His appointment of Andrew Sabisky, a proponent of eugenics.
2. His hostility towards the BBC and promise to remove the licence fee.
Never heard of the guy tbf Sov. He did call for more weirdo's tho Dom so i guess he's answered the call. The term Eugenics went out with the Dinosaurs, Class & wealth does the job, doesn't it? Anyway there is a new God in town called CRISPR and sadly this time its not going away. We all better start saving up!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000dt7d

Fascinating watch for anyone with a passing interest in that sort of thing.

Its not just Cummings with hostility towards the BBC. :D If anyone ever watched Question time during the last 3 years as a Leave voter? well it was the equivalent of going to a seal sanctuary at feeding time with Alastair Campball throwing the fish. It became embarrassing for a supposed impartial broadcaster. And anyway apparently the young generation hardly watch the BBC so they shouldn't be saddled with more debt. From a personal perspective its worth the price just to watch a program without adverts. ;) Although now catch up cuts them out anyway.
Sovietmule

Post by Sovietmule »

Viduka Hits The Mark wrote: Never heard of the guy tbf Sov. He did call for more weirdo's tho Dom so i guess he's answered the call. The term Eugenics went out with the Dinosaurs, Class & wealth does the job, doesn't it? Anyway there is a new God in town called CRISPR and sadly this time its not going away. We all better start saving up!

Its not just Cummings with hostility towards the BBC. :D If anyone ever watched Question time during the last 3 years as a Leave voter? well it was the equivalent of going to a seal sanctuary at feeding time with Alastair Campball throwing the fish. It became embarrassing for a supposed impartial broadcaster. And anyway apparently the young generation hardly watch the BBC so they shouldn't be saddled with more debt. From a personal perspective its worth the price just to watch a program without adverts. ;) Although now catch up cuts them out anyway.
Maybe that's why it's it's kicked off a bit, people thought the idea of eugenics being promoted by those either close to or in power had indeed been consigned to the way back, to the 1930's and 40's. Seems not. I've read a bit about CRISPR and, in my limited understanding, see the difference between that and eugenics as being CRISPR is a specific technique (which could be used by individuals or as part of a programme of eugenics or as a stand-alone treatment) and eugenics is an advocacy for and belief in selective breeding.

I agree with you on social class and wealth, it makes sure the best jobs got to those (and only those) from the correct social class with the correct amount of wealth, doesn't it?

Thanks for the heads-up to the CRISPR prog. Haven't watched it yet but will do. That Storyville stuff is often brilliant, isn't it? I re-watched the Duterte one recently and watched the Mladic one last week, interesting stuff. ‘Found’ another storyville about Daag Hammerskjold’s killing. Doesn’t sound very interesting but it’s defo worth a watch if you’re interested in that kind of thing.

Your bbc comments are interesting, I feel exactly the same. I haven't watched any BBC current affairs or news output for ages for exactly the same reasons as you gave. Only from exactly the opposite viewpoint. I voted Remain and saw the BBC coverage as very heavily Leave biased. Seems we both looked at the same things and came to different conclusions. Confirming our own biases maybe?

I'm feeling generally uneasy especially about the direction of things given the well-trodden 'fascist' narrative path trodden by Cummings and Johnson (same as Trump, Putin, Erdogan, Orban etc) in their bid for power. Particularly now the eugenics thing has been raised, the attacks on BBC and Channel4 and not forgetting their ‘constitutional reform’ of the Supreme Court.

How far will they go? Who knows, time will tell I suppose.

I've banged on abit ... sometimes I do!!

... just heard Sabisky has resigned. Maybe a storm in a teacup or, as Fintan O'Toole puts it, maybe it was a 'trial run'

Cheers.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Sovietmule wrote:
Viduka Hits The Mark wrote: Never heard of the guy tbf Sov. He did call for more weirdo's tho Dom so i guess he's answered the call. The term Eugenics went out with the Dinosaurs, Class & wealth does the job, doesn't it? Anyway there is a new God in town called CRISPR and sadly this time its not going away. We all better start saving up!

Maybe that's why it's it's kicked off a bit, people thought the idea of eugenics being promoted by those either close to or in power had indeed been consigned to the way back, to the 1930's and 40's. Seems not. I've read a bit about CRISPR and, in my limited understanding, see the difference between that and eugenics as being CRISPR is a specific technique (which could be used by individuals or as part of a programme of eugenics or as a stand-alone treatment) and eugenics is an advocacy for and belief in selective breeding.

I agree with you on social class and wealth, it makes sure the best jobs got to those (and only those) from the correct social class with the correct amount of wealth, doesn't it?

Thanks for the heads-up to the CRISPR prog. Haven't watched it yet but will do. That Storyville stuff is often brilliant, isn't it? I re-watched the Duterte one recently and watched the Mladic one last week, interesting stuff. ‘Found’ another storyville about Daag Hammerskjold’s killing. Doesn’t sound very interesting but it’s defo worth a watch if you’re interested in that kind of thing.

Your bbc comments are interesting, I feel exactly the same. I haven't watched any BBC current affairs or news output for ages for exactly the same reasons as you gave. Only from exactly the opposite viewpoint. I voted Remain and saw the BBC coverage as very heavily Leave biased. Seems we both looked at the same things and came to different conclusions. Confirming our own biases maybe?

I'm feeling generally uneasy especially about the direction of things given the well-trodden 'fascist' narrative path trodden by Cummings and Johnson (same as Trump, Putin, Erdogan, Orban etc) in their bid for power. Particularly now the eugenics thing has been raised, the attacks on BBC and Channel4 and not forgetting their ‘constitutional reform’ of the Supreme Court.

How far will they go? Who knows, time will tell I suppose.

I've banged on abit ... sometimes I do!!

... just heard Sabisky has resigned. Maybe a storm in a teacup or, as Fintan O'Toole puts it, maybe it was a 'trial run'

Cheers.
Yes, I believe the BBC were biased towards Leave too. They had the cheek to put one Leaver in a Remainer Question Time panel on a regular basis.
I once played against Don Revie.