Politics

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Deleted User 3289

Re: Politics

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

Sovietmule wrote:
Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:It was always going to be a loosening of the purse strings wasn't it? I mean the Tories have done the hard fiscal work over the last 10 years. Austerity just wasn't a option this time.
I suppose they had to promise spending today on the back of all the talk of 'levelling up' whatever that means.

Austerity was a political choice last time, driven by the idiocy and ideology of the Chuckle Brothers aka Cameron and Osbourne; nothing more or less. There are two main aims to the policy - 1 to reduce the deficit, 2 to reduce debt. Whilst they may have reduced the deficit to 1.3% or thereabouts of GDP (by cutting public spending by something like 30 billion or so) they have failed miserably in reducing debt - surprise, surprise.

If by 'hard fiscal work' you mean increased the debt then I would agree, as since austerity began they have increased the debt from 65% of GP to 83% (approx) this year. Austerity doesn't work and arguably never has. Mark Blyth is a renowned expert on the subject and has written extensively on the pointlessness of austerity and has some decent videos on youtube too.

So, I suppose we'll see what happens with their spending plans but I'll concede it seems like a political shift.
I agree that i think the cuts went to far to quickly but cutting public spending by £30 billion must be hard fiscal choices for anyone? The Mrs has had to re-apply for her job twice in 10 years so we were right at the sharp end of the cuts. I will never forgot she received a letter on Christmas eve telling her her job was under review and we had not long taken out our mortgage. The Tories have done a decent job on overall employment imo.

Levelling up just means spending more money i guess? As i'm a bit older i don't tend to look at Politics has whats in it for me (i did when i was younger) i cast my ear far and wide. A couple of examples. The Mrs works with children in care, the service here in West Lancs is a good one, they cater for a lot of their needs and try and help where they can but the sense of entitlement by the teenagers demanding money is off the scale. They even had a all expenses paid big awards ceremony the other week to really empower the teenagers.

A mate of mine is a support worker. He works 2-1 staff full-time with a guy who does nothing but abuse the staff all day and he gets an allowance of £88.000pa from the state. He has leaning difficulties and his parents own a swanky hotel and they collect his money and decide how much allowance to give the support workers each week. Do we live in a caring society? I like to think so.

I even thought the Social care policy Philip Hammond was going to introduce was a good one. Where people were expected to use their property to pay for care but would be left with £100,000 instead of the current £26,000 after the value had decreased. It didn't fly with Tories.
White Knight
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by White Knight »

It may be old news now but this is an interesting read on what kind of parliament there could have been after the election with a different voting system;

https://www.electoral-reform.org.uk/lat ... sentation/
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

White Knight wrote:It may be old news now but this is an interesting read on what kind of parliament there could have been after the election with a different voting system;

https://www.electoral-reform.org.uk/lat ... sentation/
A perfect example of PR. Nothing would ever get done because there is no majority. Everyone voting according to vested interests. Deals being done behind closed doors (just like in the EU). Yeah, sounds like real democracy.
I once played against Don Revie.
Deleted User 3289

I used to think proportional representation was a god idea before the Brexit fiasco. Now we know Politicians do what they feel is right, i'm against it personally.

I see Working class hero Keir Starmer has won the LLC. There was a massive surge in membership in places like Hammersmith & Richmond borough. He's a popular man down in the South East.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:I used to think proportional representation was a god idea before the Brexit fiasco. Now we know Politicians do what they feel is right, i'm against it personally.

I see Working class hero Keir Starmer has won the LLC. There was a massive surge in membership in places like Hammersmith & Richmond borough. He's a popular man down in the South East.
Wrong route for me, I’d have gone for Lisa Nandy, straight talking, down to earth woman.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Barlow Boy wrote:
Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:I used to think proportional representation was a god idea before the Brexit fiasco. Now we know Politicians do what they feel is right, i'm against it personally.

Wrong route for me, I’d have gone for Lisa Nandy, straight talking, down to earth woman.
As long as it wasn't Rebecca Long Bailey, I wasn't worried TBH BB. She's the one who gave JC 10 out of 10 for his campaign in the election :shock: I liked Lisa Nandy but she knew she was the outsider... I think Starmer is a good choice, personally
Deleted User 3289

It will now be interesting to see what policies he carries over from Corbyn? I think its a safe bet he will move back towards the center ground which will be difficult because that's where Boris has set up his stall. We have no idea what the finances will be like after the Virus crises is over? Will it be more Conservative austerity? Or will it be even more Labour borrowing and taxation on the wealth creators leaving the next generation to pick up the tab? interesting times ahead.

It will be interesting to see what demographic Starmer appeals to after the Brexit debacle. We know he already appeals to the staunch remain camp. He's a lawyer so will know his way around the jargon and detail, something Boris gets criticised for unfairly imo. I think after Corbyn he will base his appeal around credibility, but that will constrain him significantly imo, especially in the current climate. The bottom line of politics is how much you can connect with the people in need? Starmer lost credibility with me personally with his stance on Brexit that cost alot of good Labour colleagues their jobs. He comes across has being dour as dishwater but can be quite witty and inventive. Will it be enough to bridge the divide? Not for me.

I think Lisa time will come. She will no doubt have a good job in the Shadow cabinet. Interestingly my Dad who is Labour to the core didn't like her which was strange to me because i thought she connected best with Northerners? RLB was too close to Corbyn to ever be in with a realistic chance imo. After the party got battered in the last GE, the last thing you need is the outgoing leaders offering you their support. She reminds me of Theresa May in many ways. Loyal, diligent, wooden, & robotic but i would give her more credit, and say she may have gone pea-picking rather than just running through a wheat field has a kid.
Wigan White
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Wigan White »

Barlow Boy wrote:

My local MP, and you are correct in your assessment.

Think that the Labour Party have missed an opportunity there.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Wigan White wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:

My local MP, and you are correct in your assessment.

Think that the Labour Party have missed an opportunity there.
Definitely a future leader IMHO but for now, I think Starmer's the most suitable. Just my POV but I think he has started well. Let's face it, there isn't much any opposition can do to change things, it needs an experienced, respected and realistic leader to face the government in this kind of era. I do doubt LN would have been respected enough or supported enough to have much impact.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Not sure about Starmer, time will tell, I see Lisa Nandy made it into the shadow cabinet (Foreign Secretary), definitely a leader in the making.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.