You never know who you might run into.

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

You never know who you might run into.

Post by johnh »

I had been told by my work that I had to move to head office in Windsor. In the summer of 1968 I was allowed three days to look for a house. Through Estate Agents, I had arranged to view about a dozen houses in Windsor, Old Windsor, Ascot, Bracknell, Taplow and Maidenhead. Our last day was Maidenhead. I had never been to Maidenhead so did not know my way around. It had been a tiring few days and we were looking forward to getting home to Leeds. I was driving through the centre of Maidenhead and my two lads, aged 8 and 5 were fighting in the back seat of the car. I half turned to shout at them when a guy on the pavement with a bicycle suddenly scooted across the road in front of me. Fortunately, I was going fairly slowly and managed to stop quickly, but I made contact with the guy and he sat up on the bonnet and his bike crashed to the ground. I got out to see if the guy was OK and a passer-by came over and picked his bike up. I said the the passer-by 'he came straight across in front of me, I didn't have a chance'. The passer-by gave me an odd look and said 'do you know you are driving the wrong way up a one way street?' I apologised to the guy on the bike and explained that it was my first visit to Maidenhead from Leeds and we were looking for houses. The guy was very well spoken and obviously 'officer class'. He said that he was stationed in Leeds during the war and we discussed many places of mutual interest. I then said that perhaps we should report the incident to the police and he said that as there were no injuries and no damage to his bike, then there was no point. We shook hands and he wished me the best of luck with our house hunting.
We decided on a house in Maidenhead and moved in January 1969. In the first week I went to the local Newsagent to order the papers including the local weekly 'Maidenhead Advertiser'. On receiving our first edition of the Advertiser, there, on the front page was a photo of the guy I knocked off his bike - he was Chairman of the Magistrates!
I once played against Don Revie.
PockWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Re: You never know who you might run into.

Post by PockWhite »

There would've been a claim there johnh if it had been 2017.
Another great story though! :thumbup: :D
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

John

Did you ever by chance go to 'The Bull' in Wargrave? In the short time I lived there Richard Gibson - most famous later as Herr Flick in Allo Allo - was the landlord.
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

mapperleywhite wrote:John

Did you ever by chance go to 'The Bull' in Wargrave? In the short time I lived there Richard Gibson - most famous later as Herr Flick in Allo Allo - was the landlord.
mapperleywhite, yes I have been to The Bull in Wargrave a couple of times but that was quite some time ago. As I remember its a very nice location and good food.
I once played against Don Revie.
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

:lol: That's great John. Christ can you imagine if it was today. Its not just football where rolling about on the floor acting as taken hold. Something along the lines of. Look if you help me break afew bones we could split the proceeds. :D

How times have changed. Someone asked me if I was from Russia the other day? I said no, I voted for Brexit after reading the leaflet the Government spent millions of pounds on and was shoved through my door without my consent. Now that's what I call 2017..... propaganda! :shifty: