Christmas is coming

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Christmas is coming

Post by Selby White »

Is it just me or does everyone else think Christmas is getting earlier every year ?

Shops are full of Christmas stuff, all the adverts are on the TV and they even put the tree up in the centre of Selby this weekend,
Its still November and 5 weeks away :crazy:

While on the subject anyone got special plans for the festive season ?
Quiet one at home both Chrimmy and New Year this year for Mrs SW and myself, first time for 6 years not away for one or the other.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Deleted User 3289

Re: Christmas is coming

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

Tell me about it. I used to enjoy Crimbo before I worked in retail. Apparently shops can take as much in Oct-Dec than they do for the rest of the year. :crazy:

Bah humbug
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

After years in hotels I'd had enough of Christmas with all the do's that nearly always up at some stage with fights. Folks being sick & just general daftness when eventually I had a career move we decided ( well I did) that we would go away to get away from Christmas. We went to The Gambia, Eygpt,Goa, Nepal, Sri Lanka & Ethiopia for the first 6 years usually travelled with likeminded people. Last year we had an expensive but excellent break in a beautiful hotel but this year as our grandchildren are getting older we're spending it with them. However I do agree that decorations etc shouldn't go up till Christmas week & promoting it in November is a joke.
Winner of the Europa League
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Retail career means I loathe Xmas.

Can't even be arsed to say any more than that about it ..
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

I think I may have posted this before. In the 1970's I was booked into the Post House Hotel, just off the M1 near Wakefield. It was the last week in September and really sweltering hot weather. When I went into reception to register, there was a fully decorated Christmas Tree in reception. When I mentioned it to the receptionist she just shrugged and said 'orders from head office'.
I once played against Don Revie.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Yeah, I don't think it's anything particularly new, people getting into it early.

I went to Tesco on Saturday to grab some bread and a few bits and one of the managers was walking around in a Rudolph Xmas jumper, complete with wool-ball red nose on the front.

cheffy007
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by cheffy007 »

I have been cheffing for 34 years and still despise the Christmas thing. While most people are out partying, drinking, eating and generally having a good time, us poor sods who didn't fancy a life of 9-5 are normally 10 hours into a 13 hour shift when the office parties stumble into pubs, restaurants and hotels. Some of the behaviour is beyond embarrassing and the saying I hate more than any other is "its a good excuse for a good drink". If I want a drink I'll bloody well go for one, I don't need a festive excuse. Thats another thing, I hate not being able to get into my local pub because its full of office juniors who are struggling with a couple of halves of lager and no school in the morning, while us 12 month a year drinkers can't get anywhere near the bar because Tarquin and his mates have no pub etiquette.
This year I'm head chef of a large department store in Tunbridge Wells, where the Christmas tree has been up for 2 weeks, Wizzard have been wishing it could be Christmas everyday since 7.00am every morning and next Tuesday I have 300 staff members in for their Christmas bash and its still not even the end of November.
On a brighter note, I'm off on Christmas Day so will be able to spend time with the little one and the wife, working all the days before and after though.
Just need to sell enough chutney to pay the mortgage then maybe I'll start to enjoy the festive season.
For homemade pickles, chutneys and tomato ketchup, go to www.stuckinapickle.co.uk
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Have to agree it's way too early to be promoting Christmas but they're after our hand earned. I can guarantee on December 1st our neighbours opposite will have their lights up and their decorations. They have 2 young boys but surely that's too early.

Ba humbug :D
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Following my retirement last May, I couldn’t wait for Christmas last year (whilst not in the office, I was always on call for clients, and the floods the previous year didn’t help). However, a good pal of mine (we were best men at each other’s weddings) died of leukaemia aged 44 just before Christmas, so that effectively cancelled it for us last year.

Hoping for a much better one this time round (the one we should have had last year), and to be honest it can’t start early enough for me, I really, really want a cracker this time.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

Barlow Boy wrote:(A) good pal of mine (we were best men at each other’s weddings) died of leukaemia aged 44 just before Christmas, so that effectively cancelled it for us last year.
Over the past 7 years 2 close family members, and one on the periphery, have passed on in mid-December. It seems to be the time of year for that, unfortunately. Or maybe it's because it's the run-up to Christmas that it makes more of an impact. This year, obviously, we're hoping for a happier Christmas but we're also well aware that my better half's Nan, a wonderful woman I first met when she was a redoubtable 6o+ year old 30-odd years ago, seems to be on her last legs.
On a lighter note, working shifts throws all sense of time out the window and being away from the public creates it's own little bubble. I've not really noticed much Christmassy stuff this year. My usual route to and from work takes me past road works (lots of them) on a ring road, so not a lot of festive fun going on there. On the odd occasion that I drive through Bristol city centre (early morning after a Night shift) it's a pleasant surprise to see the lights have gone up. This year the majority of presents will be bottles and they have been ordered so when we go out a-Christmassing it will be on our own terms. We're off to Osborne House on the Isle of Wight for a Victorian Christmas in a couple of weeks and I reckon that will be the official start.