Booked my tickets for the World Cup

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Booked my tickets for the World Cup

Post by Selby White »

Nope not flying to Russia its the World Team cup in Table Tennis which is in London in February.

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles ... in-britain

Making it a mini break as booked four nights (Thurs to Mon) and only attending the TT on the Friday giving us Saturday and Sunday free to explore London.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Deleted User 728

Re: Booked my tickets for the World Cup

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Hmmm ... not played since I was at school.

Does it lend itself to viewing as a spectator sport ?
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

rigger wrote:Hmmm ... not played since I was at school.

Does it lend itself to viewing as a spectator sport ?
I've played since school at decent level (county league) so a little biased. Currently compete on the national veterans (over 40's) circuit which is far more sociable the the main circuit we also tie competitions with a few days away.
its much better to watch live at top level than on the TV which seems to slow it down and much prefer it to watching other racket sports.

Saying that I wasn't bothered about going but Mrs SW wanted to see it, she took it up a year ago and is getting keen. Still plenty of free time in London will make for a good few days away.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

Played when i was younger and really enjoyed it but due to it being a sport that you play with your hands i was not as good as i'd like to be, my partner enjoys it and is really good at it.

Many moons i remember when i lived in the UK and on the TV they had a couple of French (i think they were French) guys who played table tennis and could do all the trick shots and sometimes they end up in the audience playing ralleys etc, it was fascinating watching them play.

It would be something worth watching! Enjoy
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Mr Russell wrote:Played when i was younger and really enjoyed it but due to it being a sport that you play with your hands i was not as good as i'd like to be, my partner enjoys it and is really good at it.

Many moons i remember when i lived in the UK and on the TV they had a couple of French (i think they were French) guys who played table tennis and could do all the trick shots and sometimes they end up in the audience playing ralleys etc, it was fascinating watching them play.

Nothing wrong with your memory Mr R they were indeed French, many copycats tried to copy their display.
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

I would think the Asians are the real draw Selby? Some of the reflexes shown by the Chinese for instance are unreal. I'm not a fan, but on the odd occasion its caught my eye its usually a Asain player standing 10ft away from the table and still managing to land the pp on the table. :crazy:
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

Selby White wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:Played when i was younger and really enjoyed it but due to it being a sport that you play with your hands i was not as good as i'd like to be, my partner enjoys it and is really good at it.

Nothing wrong with your memory Mr R they were indeed French, many copycats tried to copy their display.
Thanks SW good to hear it.

Isn't it usually the Chinese/Japanese/Korean and Scandinavians who are the best players at this time?
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Mr Russell wrote:
Selby White wrote:

Isn't it usually the Chinese/Japanese/Korean and Scandinavians who are the best players at this time?
Yes the Asians are likely to dominate and China look invincible in both the Mens and Ladies events to be honest.
Sweden were the last country to win for Europe but that was around 20 years ago.
At the last Workd Champonships England were Europes top team gaining a very unexpected Bronze medal (behind China and Japan). Be amazing if that could be repeated. Only the top 12 countries are invited in both events, top four from World Championships (this is world cup so different event) plus all 6 continents top team plus 2 others selected from world rankings although our Ladies get in as host nation.

We are there from the Friday morning matches (last group games) and Friday evening for the quarter finals.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

Selby White wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:
Selby White wrote:

Yes the Asians are likely to dominate and China look invincible in both the Mens and Ladies events to be honest.
Sweden were the last country to win for Europe but that was around 20 years ago.
At the last Workd Champonships England were Europes top team gaining a very unexpected Bronze medal (behind China and Japan). Be amazing if that could be repeated. Only the top 12 countries are invited in both events, top four from World Championships (this is world cup so different event) plus all 6 continents top team plus 2 others selected from world rankings although our Ladies get in as host nation.

We are there from the Friday morning matches (last group games) and Friday evening for the quarter finals.

Hope you have a great time and let me know who wins the tournament :thumbup: