Hitch hiking

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Hitch hiking

Post by johnh »

Letter in the Telegraph asking 'where have all the hitch hikers gone?' Set me thinking, I haven't seen a hitch hiker for ages. When I did my National Service I became an expert hitch hiker. Based for a short time at Hucknall near Nottingham, I used to hitch from there to Leeds on a week-end pass.
I got to know all the tricks of the trade and never got stranded, though being in uniform helped. My two 'best' lifts were: I had left camp in Hucknall and had walked about 100 yards when a car stopped and the driver asked me where I was going. I told him Leeds. He said 'is City Square OK?' That was my best and quickest. My second best was when I was on the A1 about 10 miles south of Doncaster. It was snowing, freezing and dark. A bread van stopped and the driver said that he could drop me north of Doncaster, which was good. There were two in the front so they said I would have to stand in the back. We had just started off and the driver opened the sliding window between the cab and the back and said 'help yourself to a pie'. On one of the racks were some lovely big pork pies and a pork pie has never tasted so good. I have always stopped for anyone in uniform but haven't given a lift for as long as I can remember. As the letter said 'where have all the hitch hikers gone?'.
I once played against Don Revie.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Hitch hiking

Post by Another Northern Soul »

First and last time I hitchhiked was to the WBA v Leeds game in 1982 :(
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

Me and my mate Hitchhiked back to Yorkshire from Blackpool in the mid 90's cos we were skint. Overall after a slow start it took us about 4 hours. I can't remember if it was 2, or 3 lifts but I remember the last couple we got picked up bye went out of their way and dropped us off in our local village. We was well chuffed!

The way society reports the negative stuff in the media these days i'm not sure we would have made it out of Blackpool if it were today.?
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Last time I hitch hiked, 1982 dropped off on an exercise in Warcop fell Cumbria and had to be in Aldershot within 24 hours, no money etc. Would love to say I hitched with a car load of girls but sadly it was an 30 stone Welsh trucker who took me south
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

Whatever floats your boat Davy. ;) :thumbup: :D