What book ?

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

What book ?

Post by NottinghamWhite »

What book are you currently reading ? I'm reading The Final Over ( the cricketers of summer 1914) by Christopher Sandford. It's about the 210 proffesional cricketers who signed up to fight in WW1. 34 sadly were killed. A lot of research has gone into this book & it's not an easy read but none the less enjoyable. So what you reading then :)
Winner of the Europa League
Deleted User 728

Re: What book

Post by Deleted User 728 »

A collection of short stories by Ray Bradbury featuring the groundbreaking "A Sound Of Thunder" about time travel and the butterfly effect.

That's the main reason I bought it because I'd heard such a amazing things about that particular tale, but the others are all top notch hard sci-fi, on a par with HG Wells short stories.

Got loads lined up though : a couple of football titles (including one of David's), a Danny Baker bio, a Len Deighton Harry Palmer story I missed back in the day plus a second world war title I picked up in a second-hand place in Sherbourne before Xmas, entitled "Onward To Malta". I'm expecting it to be a bit like Geoffrey Wellum's First Light, which was superb.
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

Isle Of Noise: Conversations with Great British Songwriters by Daniel Rachel.
A fascinating book wherein the author interviews British songwriters from the last 5 decades discussing songwriting techniques.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

One thing I've learned from my book is that the grandson of Alfred Lord Tennyson one Lionel Hallam Tennyson was a 1st class cricketer who captained Hampshire & England.

Think we're going to see some really diverse reading material. Note to PockWhite, pop up books don't qualify :lol:
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Re: What book ?

Post by kk white »

I'm reading something a bit easier, The Stone Roses: War and Peace.
Partly because I'm a 90's music fan, but more to do with the fact that I just can't invest much time reading as I'm in my 5th year of University while working full time, and have two little kiddies.
Like Rigger, I have a growing list of books to read (both my mother and wife buy me an autobiography for Christmas and Birthday, so they are piling up), but I can't rationalise reading them when I could be studying.... Just 2.5 more years to go :cry:
Let this be a lesson to any young person who wants to drop out of Uni thinking they will go back the next year!
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Fifty Shades Of White, by Gary Edwards.

A Christmas present from Mrs B, quite informative and funny in parts so far.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Just finishing The Midlight Line by Lee Child, without doubt my favourite author. Don't have long to wait for his next book No Middle Name which is due to be released in 2 days time.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Barlow Boy wrote:Fifty Shades Of White, by Gary Edwards.

A Christmas present from Mrs B, quite informative and funny in parts so far.
Snap! But I haven't started it yet.
I once played against Don Revie.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Barlow Boy wrote:, quite informative and funny in parts so far.
My wife banned me from reading Tom Sharpe on holiday because I just used to crack up & roar with laughter, which apparently didn't go well with those snoozing on their loungers. :oops: If anyone hasn't read any of his books please do try one.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

rigger wrote:A collection of short stories by Ray Bradbury featuring the groundbreaking "A Sound Of Thunder" about time travel and the butterfly effect.

That's the main reason I bought it because I'd heard such a amazing things about that particular tale, but the others are all top notch hard sci-fi, on a par with HG Wells short stories.

Got loads lined up though : a couple of football titles (including one of David's), a Danny Baker bio, a Len Deighton Harry Palmer story I missed back in the day plus a second world war title I picked up in a second-hand place in Sherbourne before Xmas, entitled "Onward To Malta". I'm expecting it to be a bit like Geoffrey Wellum's First Light, which was superb.
Rigger, that reminded me of a letter I had published in the Business section of the Daily Telegraph. It was several years ago, at the height of the economy 'crash'. The letter said:

'Chaos theory stipulates that the flapping of a butterfly's wing in one part of the world can cause an earthquake in another part of the world (or something like that). Does this mean that if I have my bathroom re-tiled it will solve the world's economic crises?'

I didn't think they would publish it - but they did!
I once played against Don Revie.