What book ?

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Deleted User 728

Re: What book

Post by Deleted User 728 »

johnh wrote:
rigger wrote:A collection of short stories by Ray Bradbury featuring the groundbreaking "A Sound Of Thunder" about time travel and the butterfly effect.

That's the main reason I bought it because I'd heard such a amazing things about that particular tale, but the others are all top notch hard sci-fi, on a par with HG Wells short stories.

Got loads lined up though : a couple of football titles (including one of David's), a Danny Baker bio, a Len Deighton Harry Palmer story I missed back in the day plus a second world war title I picked up in a second-hand place in Sherbourne before Xmas, entitled "Onward To Malta". I'm expecting it to be a bit like Geoffrey Wellum's First Light, which was superb.
Rigger, that reminded me of a letter I had published in the Business section of the Daily Telegraph. It was several years ago, at the height of the economy 'crash'. The letter said:

'Chaos theory stipulates that the flapping of a butterfly's wing in one part of the world can cause an earthquake in another part of the world (or something like that). Does this mean that if I have my bathroom re-tiled it will solve the world's economic crises?'

I didn't think they would publish it - but they did!

Brilliant :mrgreen:

It didn't work though, did it ?? :lolno:
PockWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Re: What book ?

Post by PockWhite »

Have just finished 'The Wrong Side Of Goodbye' by my 2nd most fave author Michael Connolly, absolutely riveting read.
Will be starting later tonight 'Secret Smile' by another author that I really like Nicci French.
Wigan White
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Wigan White »

Just about to start "Star Of Africa" by Scott Mariani.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

DLW last book that i got at Xmas, haven't got to his trip to Oz part yet!
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Mr Russell wrote:DLW last book that i got at Xmas, haven't got to his trip to Oz part yet!
Don’t believe everything he says about his ‘mates’ Mr R :D.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
SCOTTISH LEEDS
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

My pal gave me Dan Walker's book Magic, Mud and Maradona and also Gary Edwards No Glossing Over It for my birthday on Sunday past.
Wigan White

Post by Wigan White »

Barlow Boy wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:DLW last book that i got at Xmas, haven't got to his trip to Oz part yet!
Don’t believe everything he says about his ‘mates’ Mr R :D.
What!!!!!

He's got mates???????

:lol: :lol: :lol: ;)
Sniffer

Post by Sniffer »

Rigger's list of books has pricked my conscious somewhat. I used to have all the time in the world to read and did so voraciously. Nowadays, well to be honest I still have plenty of time to read but now there's this bloody internet thingumabob - the Great Time Waster.
So here's a list of books that I've been aiming to read for the last 12 months:
Life of Pi - Yann Martel
The Martian - Andy Weir
Filth - Irvine Welsh
Diary of a Nobody - George and Weedon Grossmith
A Game Of Thrones - George RR Martin
Out Of The Silent Planet/Perlandra - CS Lewis
The Ice Schooner - Michael Moorcock
The Whispering Swarm - Michael Moorcock
The Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out Of The Window And Disappeared - Jonas Jonasson
Arlott On Cricket : His Writings On The Game - Edited by David Rayvern Allen
The Fort - Bernard Cornwall

I'm also reading Junky by William S Burroughs,

There are a few there that Mr Rigger will be interested in and one that Mr NW may already have. ;)
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

The only Moorcock I ever read was the sublime Behold The Man.

I sincerely believe that it should be on the national curriculum.
Amazing, astounding and astonishing.
What a genius idea and so beautifully realised.

Incidentally, if you know the book and enjoy movies, I can't recommend The Man From Earth highly enough : low budget, similar subject matter, perfectly crafted. I guarantee it'll be a film you show to as many people as you possibly can once you've watched it.

I've actually got a further 500 sci-fi titles to read on my Kindle too, but haven't even started on them yet ..
Sniffer

Post by Sniffer »

As I've said before I do like Moorcock. Not something to be said out loud in certain areas. :shifty:

Have you tried any of the early sci-fi books? I'm thinking of the CS Lewis that I mentioned and HG Wells First Men In The Moon among others. I find them fascinating but difficult to read because of how far science has come.