What book ?

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
One Eyed Thompson
Brian McDermott's optician

Re: What book ?

Post by One Eyed Thompson »

Sniffer wrote:As I've said before I do like Moorcock. Not something to be said out loud in certain areas. :shifty:

Have you tried any of the early sci-fi books? I'm thinking of the CS Lewis that I mentioned and HG Wells First Men In The Moon among others. I find them fascinating but difficult to read because of how far science has come.
'Out of the Silent Planet' was on my O level curriculum. I never fully appreciated how good it was until many years later when I read it again and the two (I'm sure there were 2) sequels. As a side note I live just round the corner from CS Lewis' childhood home.

I love, absolutely love Stuart MacBride books. Would recommend them to anyone who likes a bit of dark humour. I've just started a book called 'Girl in the Ice' by Robert Bryndza. A friend bought me it for Christmas and I'm about 100 pages in - hooked already!
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

You're really talking about "hard sci-fi" there, when you talk of the earlier stuff.

Not so much Wells because that really was early, but the mid-20th century stuff was all about the science.

I know what you mean about how things have changed, but just last night I read a great tale from that Bradbury collection called "The Murderer".
Rather than have me try to explain it, the plot summary on Wiki does it superbly :
The scene is set in the near future, in an apparently sterile and clinical building. There is music coming from every direction; each person, it seems, is listening to classical music, talking on a phone, using a computer, or communicating constantly in some other way. Most people seem to be engaged in several of these activities at the same time.

A psychologist exits the noisy environment to confront a patient confined to a small safe-room. The psychologist notes that the man has ripped the radio out of the wall to silence it. The room seems unnaturally quiet to the psychologist, yet the patient seems perfectly at ease, even happy. The patient calls himself 'the Murderer', and demonstrates his murderous ability by destroying the psychologist's wristwatch radio.

Questioning reveals that the man had one day been driven mad by the constant expectations of communication inflicted upon him by society - his wife and children could speak with him whenever they wished, wherever they were; any person could call on him, and many did, simply to make use of their communications devices. He gives a striking image of a world in which humans are constantly bombarded by music, advertisement, propaganda and communication. He then describes his revelation; that if he shut off his phone, he could not be bothered by it. When he arrived home on that day, he discovered his wife, frantic at being out of touch with him for so long. This apparently drives home to him their terrible addiction to technology of communication. He begins to destroy things - his phone, his wristwatch, the television, any thing that could disrupt the peace he seeks. The man regrets only destroying the 'Insinkerator', which he used to mangle another piece of equipment. The Insinkerator, a sink drain disposal, he says, was a machine with a good solid purpose which did not disturb him with its functions, did not demand his attention, which only functioned when he asked it to.

The man then describes his wonderful state of calm and relaxation, moments of total freedom of all responsibility and worry inflicted upon him by machines. The psychologist makes due note of this, prompting him with questions, even seeming to perhaps understand what the man feels. At the end of the Murderer's tale, however, the psychologist steps back into the world of music and talk, quickly relaying information on the man's condition to an aide over another communication device, and re-immerses himself into the glare of technology's power.

I think that's staggeringly prophetic, don't you ??
The vision of the man .. :wtf:
Just to reiterate : this was written in 1953.

There's a few hard sci-fi titles I would recommend to anyone as tasters and if you don't like them you probably won't like the genre in general (a bit like suggesting Miles Davis' Kind Of Blue album for anyone who thinks they might enjoy jazz but don't know where to start) :

ARTHUR C CLARKE - Rendezvous With Rama (my all-time favourite sci-fi)
ROBERT HEINLEIN - Stranger In A Strange Land
LARRY NIVEN - Ringworld
ARTHU C CLARKE - Childhood's End
Deleted User 728

Sniffer, I've got half a dozen of those titles suggested by you on my kindle - just checked - from when I got that top 500 e-book sci-fi collection :thumbup:
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

A sad sign of the times we have 3 bookcases rammed with books, lots of Rough Guides & such. However I have noticed less & less people have books these days. I tried a kindle but just couldn't get on with it, there's nothing quite like holding a book. Saying that I'm not against the odd audio book. I have a son in law, bright guy who's almost 43 & has never read a book since leaving school.
Winner of the Europa League
Deleted User 728

NottinghamWhite wrote:I have a son in law, bright guy who's almost 43 & has never read a book since leaving school.
I know so many people like that ..

Funnily enough, most of my friends aren't that type and pretty much all of them do read.

The weird thing is, every man jack of the rest of 'em spend hours reading every single day so why they can't pick up a book for pleasure is beyond me.
It's like women saying they don't like video games. They actually mean football sims and shooters - they happily play Candy Crush on their phones for three hours a day .. but of course that doesn't count :wtf:
Deleted User 728

And I'm not being sexist when I say that - I'm using the direct example of my sister and a couple of exes !
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

rigger wrote: I know so many people like that ..

Funnily enough, most of my friends aren't that type and pretty much all of them do read
On Christmas Day my grandson insisted on his uncle reading him a bedtime story. So after 26 years his first book was Thomas the Tank Engine. The rest of us took the mickey out of him for the rest of the night :D
Winner of the Europa League
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

https://twitter.com/OckleyBooks/status/ ... 9294328833

After a long wait due to publisher delays, a new novel on John Charles in 1957 ''The Gigante' is finally on its way.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

I'm not a book reader as such and it's ages since I did (other than travel books).
Did have a bit of a spell a few years back of reading autobiography's though, mainly of Sports celebrities. Last I remember reading was Tiger Woods.

Mrs SW always has a book on the go, likes hard copies but uses a Kindle when we are away.
We often use the local library both for research (me) and books (her).
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Selby White wrote:I'm not a book reader as such and it's ages since I did (other than travel books).
Did have a bit of a spell a few years back of reading autobiography's though, mainly of Sports celebrities. Last I remember reading was Tiger Woods.

Mrs SW always has a book on the go, likes hard copies but uses a Kindle when we are away.
We often use the local library both for research (me) and books (her).
Same here in virtually all respects, SW :D

I have a very long list of books on my To Read list, and a couple of years ago a mate sold me a load of music and crime books - 90 books or so for £20 I think it was. I gave a few away but there are still around 60 of them I've yet to read.