What Music?

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

What Music?

Post by Sniffer »

To complement NW's What Book thread.
I am currently listening to Tokio Myers' debut album "Our Generation".
He won one of those talent shows but don't let that put you off. He is a seriously good musician and producer from what I can tell. This album is a bit of an update on Moby's Play, I suppose. He's even got a Vera Hall sample on one of the tracks.
Deleted User 728

Re: What Music?

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Mostly classical at the moment, but I did get a 3-disc Serge Gainsbourg compilation for Xmas with some of the 60s stuff that I didn't have so I've been on that along with some instrumental James Brown band stuff :)
Sniffer

Post by Sniffer »

I must get some Serge. I had a sort of Best of cassette that a French girlfriend taped for me aeons ago. Mostly brilliant, some of it downright strange. Needless to say the tape has disappeared and I've nothing to play it on anyway.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

My preference is classical with a modern twist. Love Pavarotti, Catherine Jenkins & Paul Potts so any of those plus Subo gets a fair bit of air time as well.
Winner of the Europa League
Deleted User 728

Sniffer wrote:I must get some Serge. I had a sort of Best of cassette that a French girlfriend taped for me aeons ago. Mostly brilliant, some of it downright strange. Needless to say the tape has disappeared and I've nothing to play it on anyway.
I've got loads of his stuff. I'll check how much of a dupe this 3CD set is with the rest and may be able to send you some as I've got at least two other 3-disc collections as well as the Melodie Nelson album and about another eight individual CDs.
Deleted User 728

NottinghamWhite wrote:My preference is classical with a modern twist. Love Pavarotti, Catherine Jenkins & Paul Potts so any of those plus Subo gets a fair bit of air time as well.
Not so much into the opera unless it's live or a full one.
Love Wagner's Tristan Und Isolde and have seen a couple of Bizet's and a Puccini live.

I did hear something amazing a couple of years ago on ClassicFM which made me go out and buy an album though, that you might like.
It was a jazz version of Mahler's 5th, his most famous - and a very bombastic - symphony.
I first heard it in my teens when a mate played it to me and he said it was like the heavy rock of classical .. and he was right.
The jazz take on it blew my mind :ugeek:

This is a more sedate segment, though it still gets quite rousty :

SCOTTISH LEEDS
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

Just got Jeff Lynne's ELO double CD and DVD of them playing Wembley stadium last year.

Also a double CD of Kansas live in 2017.
Sniffer

Post by Sniffer »

I got the Tokio Myers CD from my better half for Christmas. She also got me a Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac compilation with lots of wonderfully obscure stuff I'd never heard before. My son bought me a vinyl copy of Tame Impala's Lonerism. He bought me the CD version last year so I think it reflects his taste in music rather than mine but I look forward to comparing the two formats. :)
Deleted User 728

Kansas !
Now there's a band .. didn't know they were still going, though.

Peter Green, eh ?
Saw him live a few years back - what a miserable git. He gives Van Morrison a run for his money ..
Great guitarist, terrible people person. He slagged his band off once he'd sent them from the stage so he could play some "proper music" on his own.
That's just disrespectful, no matter how much of a virtuoso you are.
Sniffer

Post by Sniffer »

rigger wrote: Peter Green, eh ?
Saw him live a few years back - what a miserable git. He gives Van Morrison a run for his money ..
Great guitarist, terrible people person. He slagged his band off once he'd sent them from the stage so he could play some "proper music" on his own.
That's just disrespectful, no matter how much of a virtuoso you are.
Really?
I saw Peter Green about 10 years ago on a double bill with John Mayall at the City Hall, Salisbury. He just seemed so fragile. They were about to play Man of the World and Peter said "I can't sing this it's still too raw" and so his guitarist sang it. He had some serious mental health problems brought on by drugs in the early 70s. I really don't think he's got over them.