What job ?

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: What job ?

Post by Mr Russell »

What do you do?

I work as an administration officer for Hunter New England Area Health District, the department I work in is the Drug & Alcohol and the area is the Methadone clinic in Newcastle NSW, I have been here for over 16 years and one thing I can say every day is different in so many ways.

What did you do?

Came out of school and did a YTS called Business studies and worked 4 years at Damart in Bingley, no thermal underwear jokes please I’ve seen and heard them all, worked in various departments there and it was so mismanaged it was so unfunny. People who were mangers there for the first 3 years I was there were a disgrace and should never be in charge of a paper bag. When I go back I’m still in contact with about 4 people (none who still work there now) and we reminisce about the old days and how silly they were. Left England after that!

Did various course on computers and basically taught myself how to use one, could have gone to TAFE college or University but ended up working for nearly 4 years for Centrelink (UK version of Department of Social Security, does that still exist?) in Cardiff (no not the Welsh one) as a call centre operator for family payments, was only ever abused once in that time which I think was a record. New government came in change things and had to apply for our jobs, did not succeed and became unemployed.

Passed a course to be a cricket umpire

Did a 6 month work for the dole scheme as a gardener/handyman etc at Newcastle University (see I got there in the end)

Broke my leg in 2 places that ended my soccer career and was incapacitated for 8 months

Did another work for the dole at Hunter New England Health District in the Migrant Health, Dental and Accounts Departments and got my foot in the door and have been there ever since.

What do you want to do?

Had no idea, looked at Air Traffic Controller then figured out what it involved and that was the end of that. To this day I still don’t know what I’d like to do even though I’ve ended up in Administration!
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

It's amazing how many places are badly run.

I'm not just talking about those who go into administration either - I've also been made redundant. Twice actually and one time when I jumped before it happened knowing from experience it was around the corner. And it proved to be, unfortunately for those I left behind. Still one behind Mapp though ;)

The two worst run companies I've worked for are both international names : UPS (my current role) and Tower Records.

Tower UK actually called a meeting near the end of all the managers and assistant managers plus the entire head office staff in London.
The purpose ? To tell us all that the UK arm of the company was folding.
The venue ? Kensington. Right opposite our head office in a rather nice hotel.
The reason I cite this example ? There was a perfectly good boardroom that was plenty big enough in our building directly across the road, but hey let's spend the last bit of money we've got on a few posh bottles of sparkling water and some sandwiches with the edges cut off, shall we ? I mean, don't worry about paying the staff or anything ..

As for UPS .. sheesh.
Archaic.
In every way.
Do you know that every morning they don't actually know how many parcels they have coming into the depot to be sorted on the four belts ?
My belt (Southampton) is the busiest and I probably handle 7-800 per day, off peak. During December we hit 1000 each regularly. That's a lot of parcels going on to vans. But every morning we have to unload parcels we've already handled, sorted and loaded on to one van and take them to another van because driver A has too many but driver B is a bit lighter today.
I've been there a year and despite them obviously having SOME KIND OF RECORD of the customer booking the delivery in the first place (or else how would the parcel even arrive) they cannot work out how to extrapolate the information on the customer order database into any meaningful data for the loading team to use to avoid double-handling parcels.
Every morning.
Of the year.
Without fail.

Oh, and speaking of archaic, we had a management team of six, three of whom are normal, planet earth kind of people - the three youngest - while the other three are knuckle-dragging, mouth-breathing, racist, sexist, Sun-reading morons with about three brain cells between them.

.. you'll never guess which three are actually in charge :wtf:

Other than that, many places I've worked at people staying there long enough just seem to be promoted in the end until you get secretaries on £30k pa because they've gone up a pay band every few years just through sheer longevity.

The UK is an insanely unproductive country.

I think it's Denmark or Holland that's adopted a four day week, isn't it ?
Businesses are open from 8am-7pm Monday to Thursday and Friday is part of the weekend so that everyone gets a better work/life balance.

It's so bloody simple.
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

rigger wrote:I think it's Denmark or Holland that's adopted a four day week, isn't it ?
Businesses are open from 8am-7pm Monday to Thursday and Friday is part of the weekend so that everyone gets a better work/life balance.
It's so bloody simple.
I have a slight problem with your assertion "everyone gets a better work/life balance". Does the world stop ala Sundays of old?
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Sniffer wrote:
rigger wrote:I think it's Denmark or Holland that's adopted a four day week, isn't it ?
It's so bloody simple.
I have a slight problem with your assertion "everyone gets a better work/life balance". Does the world stop ala Sundays of old?
No. There are still some shops open. It's mainly public services and banks, etc that close.
But then there will always be some people working anti-social hours .. like me ! :shh:

Some people prefer those hours because they themselves are inherently anti-social .. like me ! :shh:
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Left School and did an Electrical apprentiship and stayed in the trade moving through the ranks (electrician, charge hand, supervisor, assistant engineer, engineer, department manager).
This was all industrial stuff not house bashing dealing with maintenance and installation of machinery.
Worked for a few big multi national companies such as Rhone Polenc, Bayer, RTZ, Tate & Lyle eventuallytunity of early retirement with a good redundancy package.

Now spend my time fulfilling my ambitions best I can which involves a lot of travel among other things. I've learnt to appreciate time is more important than money.

Best time working was when just a Electrician working with a installation team.

Worst - Never really enjoyed Management it's a lonely place but pays better money.

Also never took to shift work but only did it for a short period.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.