What job ?

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
SCOTTISH LEEDS
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Re: What job ?

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

What do you do.
I am a Bookkeeper doing both Accounts and Payroll at Batley Carr Beds, I started working for them in March of last year and although their business practices are strange due to them being Pakistani's,I am slowing turning things around as they have been in the bed game for over 20 years but have had to re-invent themselves every 8-10 years as they kept falling into the same trap.

What did you do.
Once I left college in the late 80s with my HNC in accounts I worked from 88 to 97 for an engineering firm in Forfar doing accounts. I then worked for haulage company for a year before working in a furniture warehouse doing goods inwards from mid 99 to the end of 2002 as the owner moved the warehouse out of Dundee. 2003 I started working for a parcel delivery firm in Dundee running the Nightfreight franchise for them and I also started a home study course doing the IAB diploma course in account and payroll eventually sitting the exams in Jan 2006. The summer of 2008 I went self employed and had a fair degree of success getting clients when in 2012 I got a client in Aberdeen which made me serious money and so started the Leeds story in 2013 when my pal and myself both got season tickets for the 13-14 season. In Nov 14 after my client liquidated his company I got job in Heckmondwike so I moved down and have been down here over three years know having worked for a businesses doing accounts and payroll.

What do you want to do.
If things go to plan at the bed company we will be moving to bigger and better premises sometime in the future so hopefully they can grow and I will be there till i retire at whatever age that might be, which will hopefully be in the next 10-12 years or so.Since turning 50 time has flown these last five years and I just wish I could slow it all down as the years are just flying by.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Scottish Leeds, sorry to pee on your parade but the years go by even faster as you get older. :shock:
I once played against Don Revie.
SCOTTISH LEEDS

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

johnh wrote:Scottish Leeds, sorry to pee on your parade but the years go by even faster as you get older. :shock:
Thanks Johnh.
PockWhite

Post by PockWhite »

johnh wrote:Scottish Leeds, sorry to pee on your parade but the years go by even faster as you get older. :shock:
:lol: that is so true john.
Deleted User 1022

Post by Deleted User 1022 »

NottinghamWhite wrote:What a diverse group we are :D Good luck Howard with the jobs, I'm actually going to pick up my OAP next month, this will actually double my monthly income.
That means more travelling, well you deserve it NW. You gave a good service to your working life and the government should look after its citizens for paying into the national taxes and insurance throughout the years.

Hope you enjoy the extra cash mate. :D
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

What Do You Do -
Retired at 45, now do volunteer work for Guide Dogs For The Blind.

What Did You Do -
An insurance broker for 28 years, started at a company aged 17, doing the post and fetching the sandwiches.

Rose through the ranks very quickly, and by the age of 23 was earning the same as my dad who was a boss at a colliery. Through long hours, exams and a lot of hard work, made Account Executive by the age of 27 (unheard of in those days) and started swapping my annual salary increase for shares in the company (I didn’t know it at the time, but the best decision of my life). I was made director in my early 30’s, still swapping salary increases for shares. Disaster struck, aged 38, when my wife became ill during pregnancy resulting in the loss of our baby daughter, and my wife remaining in hospital for one and a half years. From that point on, my life changed.

Aged 44, my bosses were looking to sell the business and a few of us were offered first refusal at £18 Million (it was a very good price, but other priorities in my life mentioned above meant I had to say no). The company was sold to another broker, and I agreed a golden handcuffs deal for 5 years. Then, just 18 months later, the company we sold to sold themselves, meaning the shares I’d accrued when I was swapping my salary increases became payable there and then. I took the money and ran, now enjoying my retirement.

What Do I Want To Do -

Happy as I am for now, but my take some form of employment with Guide Dogs in the future. The ability to help people in their lives, is far greater reward than salary,
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

NottinghamWhite wrote:What a diverse group we are :D Good luck Howard with the jobs, I'm actually going to pick up my OAP next month, this will actually double my monthly income.
Diverse indeed. One of the best threads I've read in a long time...
I've loved this forum for slowly bringing me out of the devastation of losing my brother last year (46 years young) and looking after his 2 young kids (7 and 4 years). Been really tough, but the honesty in this thread simply reminds you that everyone has their problems. Of course we always know this, but sometimes need a little reminder that we all have tough times!

Anyway, apologies for the aside, keep the job/life stories coming... :thumbup:
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Beautiful.

And there was me in a bit of a funk when I started it :)
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

CorkWhite wrote: That means more travelling, well you deserve it NW. You gave a good service to your working life and the government should look after its citizens for paying into the national taxes and insurance throughout the years.

Back in 2012 I went to the Job Centre & tried to sign on but like a story of a friend of mine was told I'd get nothing due to my savings. I then asked could I just sign on to keep my stamp up to date. Think he felt a bit sorry for me & fed stuff into his PC & said I had actually paid enough contributions to qualify for a full pension, much to my relief because even if I was signing on for my stamp they would expect me to be actively looking for work, even though I had no intention of finding another job. Anyway the paperwork came through a couple of weeks back & it appears I'm getting my full entitlement :D
Winner of the Europa League
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

NottinghamWhite wrote:
CorkWhite wrote: That means more travelling, well you deserve it NW. You gave a good service to your working life and the government should look after its citizens for paying into the national taxes and insurance throughout the years.

Back in 2012 I went to the Job Centre & tried to sign on but like a story of a friend of mine was told I'd get nothing due to my savings. I then asked could I just sign on to keep my stamp up to date. Think he felt a bit sorry for me & fed stuff into his PC & said I had actually paid enough contributions to qualify for a full pension, much to my relief because even if I was signing on for my stamp they would expect me to be actively looking for work, even though I had no intention of finding another job. Anyway the paperwork came through a couple of weeks back & it appears I'm getting my full entitlement :D
and there's an example of whats wrong with social services etc. When I got injured and had to leave work but I received my injury pension straight away I was not eligible for benefits etc because of the pension amount (which I fully understood ) BUT I was told I HAD to sign on every week or it would impact on my state pension which made sense. They also told me I MUST actively seek employment even though I was retired and my pension was taxed. Good job I'm not one for just lying around and got a job pretty quickly.

One
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders