Helicopter Crash

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Helicopter Crash

Post by Selby White »

Last night a tourist helicopter crashed in the East River in New York.
Although didn't see was was sat in a bar having a meal on Roosevelt island a few hundred yards from where it happend. First we knew was when emergency services kept streaming past the window.
Sadly 5 people lost their lives with only one survivor.

Brings it all home been so close, you just don't know what the future holds, probably just tourists like ourselves.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Helicopter Crash

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Blimey, sad news.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Never been in a helicopter. Don't fancy it - they don't glide very well if the engine fails.
I once played against Don Revie.
PockWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by PockWhite »

That's a really tragic story. :(
RIP and thoughts to those involved/affected by it.
There was a helicopter crash in the Grand Canyon recently, I recall, in which half a dozen people perished.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Very sad news.

Mrs B got me a helicopter flight for my birthday, you actually get to fly it too. Waiting until the summer to take it, can’t say these stories make me feel much better.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

This is sad given it wasn't that long ago that one went down in The Grand Canyon. I've been on one to the Scillies I'll never forget the wind was that strong the return journey normally 20 minutes only took 8, the pilot told us it was a new record :D
Winner of the Europa League
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Apparently the pilot jumped clear and was rescued from the water while the passengers failed to get out of their harnesses.
The local news reports according to the pilot somebody accidently knocked the emergency fuel cut off switch with their bag.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Selby White wrote:Apparently the pilot jumped clear and was rescued from the water while the passengers failed to get out of their harnesses.
The local news reports according to the pilot somebody accidently knocked the emergency fuel cut off switch with their bag.
According to the Telegraph the pilot told investigators about luggage hitting the fuel cut-off switch. However, this has been discounted as the switch is in the ceiling of the helicopter and has a guard lock. Also, how did 'somebody' knock the fuel switch off with their bag if they were strapped in?
I once played against Don Revie.