LUFCTALK Admin

Happy St Patrick's Day

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Winner of the Europa League
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Happy St Patrick's Day

Post by Davycc »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Yes indeed, for all those celebtating have good one :thumbup: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Will be indeed, still in Chicago and it's very big here. The City Pubs and restaurants are all decked out in green especially the many Irish establishments.
Lots of people here just to celebrate it.
We are off for a walk down Michegan Ave to the river shortly to see them dye it green.
Then on to Grant Park for the start of the Parade, gonna be a fun day :thumbup:
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

For our Irish Members here are some photos from the Chicago event (a bit late but just got round to downloading), includes the river turning green and parts of the parade.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/8308363@N ... 2399394272
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

Great pics Selby.

The US always seem to take the parades more seriously than we do here, but I suppose that population has a lot to do with it.
Almost every village in Ireland (I'm speaking from a Republic of Ireland viewpoint) has a parade of sorts, which means that there's not as much focus on the bigger towns and cities.

It's probably got to do with the old parochial thing here... GAA sports (Hurling and Football) are huge between the 32 counties (plus London and New York) but every parish and village also has a club team that they take great pride in, so that sometimes spills into other forms of life.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad thing at all, but it keeps everyone local instead of visiting the big cities.
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

There's me thinking all the celebrations are because its my birthday. :D
I once played against Don Revie.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

kk_white wrote:Great pics Selby.

The US always seem to take the parades more seriously than we do here, but I suppose that population has a lot to do with it.
Almost every village in Ireland (I'm speaking from a Republic of Ireland viewpoint) has a parade of sorts, which means that there's not as much focus on the bigger towns and cities.

It's probably got to do with the old parochial thing here... GAA sports (Hurling and Football) are huge between the 32 counties (plus London and New York) but every parish and village also has a club team that they take great pride in, so that sometimes spills into other forms of life.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad thing at all, but it keeps everyone local instead of visiting the big cities.
Have visited Chicago a few times but not on St Pats day, been told how big it was and it certainly was a major event. Amazing how many Americans became Irish for the day, was a crazy time.
Still will meet a few real Irish folk when I'm over there later this year :thumbup:
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

Selby White wrote:Have visited Chicago a few times but not on St Pats day, been told how big it was and it certainly was a major event. Amazing how many Americans became Irish for the day, was a crazy time.
Still will meet a few real Irish folk when I'm over there later this year :thumbup:
I've mentioned my home town Kilkenny in another thread, but if you need advice or a coffee/pint in Galway, just let me know :thumbup:
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

kk_white wrote:
Selby White wrote:Have visited Chicago a few times but not on St Pats day, been told how big it was and it certainly was a major event. Amazing how many Americans became Irish for the day, was a crazy time.
I've mentioned my home town Kilkenny in another thread, but if you need advice or a coffee/pint in Galway, just let me know :thumbup:
That sort of advice is more than welcome :thumbup:

Have put a bit of detail where we are actually staying on the UK Cities thread under your photo.