Eau de tap

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Eau de tap

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Watching the cricket & listening to the wonderful Michael Holding, he has a huge gripe with people buying bottled water. His argument is its free from the tap why buy it ? Was in Tescos yesterday & a guy in there had a trolley full of bottled water at 30p a bottle. On his polo was The Village Lesiure Centre where according to the daughter the same water sells at £1:50.
Winner of the Europa League
Deleted User 728

Re: Eau de tap

Post by Deleted User 728 »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Watching the cricket & listening to the wonderful Michael Holding, he has a huge gripe with people buying bottled water. His argument is its free from the tap why buy it ? Was in Tescos yesterday & a guy in there had a trolley full of bottled water at 30p a bottle. On his polo was The Village Lesiure Centre where according to the daughter the same water sells at £1:50.
I used to buy it in at 16p/bottle and sell it for £1.30 at the SU shop which I ran for Southampton Uni.
If students are willing to pay that price, it's alright because they moan about everything, despite many of them at that particular "Russell Group" establishment having an annual allowance from mater and pater that dwarfed my salary.

The fella in Tesco should go to a wholesaler ..
Deleted User 728

Since giving up alcohol, I've only drunk sparkling water in pubs.
I really like the stuff and it's usually about £1.50 a bottle, which is fine when you're out.
Stuff like J2O and the various sodas they have, either in tiny bottles or that syrupy crap through the pumps, are really over-priced and loaded with sugar so I might as well drink beer - similar effect on my body and not much difference in price.

The great thing about all this is the amount of money I'm not spending when I go out.
I saw a band the other night with a couple of friends. The tickets were £12 but mine was free as my mate got all three and said "Ah, forget it" when I asked how much I owed him. The venue is in a tricky part of town to get to usually, as there's no direct bus route (I'd need to take two) and a taxi would be £1O-12 from my place early evening and about fifteen quid on the way home.
I drove.
And I offered to buy them both a beer but when my round came up one of them said he was alright and the other also had a bottle of water.

Total spend : £3 :D

I should've done this years ago !

The best part is around half ten when you notice everyone else is wobbling a bit from the drinking.
Some girl started chatting to me at the bar and I didn't even realise - it was a reggae gig - until she prodded me in the back and asked if I was listening to her :D
She was ver', ver' drunk indeed ..
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

I tend to agree with the bottled water but my gripe is buying sandwiches. Seriously just buy the components and make a sandwich at home. My old dad will be turning in his grave at going to the shops to buy a bottle of water and a sandwich. We have become a very lazy nation, one would rather spend money than spend a couple of minutes in the kitchen.
One Eyed Thompson
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by One Eyed Thompson »

The absolute worst thing about bottled water is the bacterial level in it - particularly adhering to the plastic. Worst thing you can do is refill them from a water cooler. Pseudomonas, Staph. Aureus, coliforms, cryptosporidium if I remember rightly. Not surprising seeing what WC Fields had to say about what fish do in it!

Isn't there one of our Southern Irish friends studying microbiology? He/She could confirm this I'm sure.
Deleted User 728

ChilwellWhite wrote:I tend to agree with the bottled water but my gripe is buying sandwiches. Seriously just buy the components and make a sandwich at home. My old dad will be turning in his grave at going to the shops to buy a bottle of water and a sandwich. We have become a very lazy nation, one would rather spend money than spend a couple of minutes in the kitchen.
I bet he would recoil in horror if he saw someone eating while walking down the street too :o
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

rigger wrote:
I bet he would recoil in horror if he saw someone eating while walking down the street too :o
I class that the same as a woman drinking a pint of beer. Seriously though it's like as been said everyone's in such a rush these days. Going off topic but had a hospital appointment t'other day & the parking area was full of impatient idiots beeping their horns & calling out abusive & threatening language all for the sake of losing a couple of minutes parking their car. Modern society is so far removed from how things used to be, to think I used to mock those 'oldies' who harped on about the good old days :roll:
Deleted User 728

I agree about people being in a rush, but even more so about the abusive language associated with .. well, pretty much everything in these "entitled" times.
In the past, you had to earn something to have it, not just expect everything all the time but consumerism has changed all that.
I can't begin to imagine having the internet on a handheld device at 5 years old, for example.
That's gotta make people incredibly complacent, lazy, dumb and self-centred.

They should be outside eating mud at that time of life, surely ??

However, I cannot let this little nugget go without challenging it :
NottinghamWhite wrote: I class that the same as a woman drinking a pint of beer.
I know you said "but seriously" afterwards, but do you really feel that way ?
Is it just because it's not very ladylike to see a demure female, perhaps in a cocktail dress and heels, holding a pint pot ?
Or is it that you feel challenged ... ?? :lolno:
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

I suppose it's just me being old fashioned as a youngster it was classed as very 'tarty' for a lady to sup a pint, two halves was alright :D I was on the train to York a bit back & the carriage was sharing a phone conversation with a particularly foul mouthed young man, a lady approached him & asked him to stop swearing but after a couple of minutes he restated. 2 blokes got up & they said unless he stopped they'd stop him, they weren't kidding either.
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

NottinghamWhite wrote:I suppose it's just me being old fashioned as a youngster it was classed as very 'tarty' for a lady to sup a pint, two halves was alright :D I was on the train to York a bit back & the carriage was sharing a phone conversation with a particularly foul mouthed young man, a lady approached him & asked him to stop swearing but after a couple of minutes he restated. 2 blokes got up & they said unless he stopped they'd stop him, they weren't kidding either.
Yes women drinking pints was frowned upon back when....although I had two girlfriends at uni who often drank pints. Remember going to the famous Nellies in Beverley and the girlfriend went to get me a pint and was told, in no uncertain terms, that women were not allowed at the bar

Me and my ex-wife gave up buying daughter dear half pints, because you'd be back at the bar for another one in five minutes. Don't know where she puts it as she's only
5ft 3in
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....