I'm going to Newbury races on Saturday

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Deleted User 728

I'm going to Newbury races on Saturday

Post by Deleted User 728 »

.. and haven't been since I was about ten, somewhere in Wiltshire standing next to the finish line as the magnificent beasts thundered past.
It was amazing and very scary but I don't really like horses - far too dangerous and unpredictable and living so close to the New Forest I've grown up giving them a wide berth :wtf:

It's a mate's 40th birthday and this is what he wanted to do so off we go tomorrow morning, meeting at Wetherspoons in town for brekkie at 9am before jumping on a train.
I've seen him drink 12 pints with nary a wobble so it'll be a long day for me, not drinking, but hopefully it should be fun especially if it's not bloody raining !

I do quite well with football betting but haven't got a Scooby when it comes to the gee-gees.
Any tips would be welcome !

:)
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: I'm going to Newbury races on Saturday

Post by Selby White »

rigger wrote:.. and haven't been since I was about ten, somewhere in Wiltshire standing next to the finish line as the magnificent beasts thundered past.
It was amazing and very scary but I don't really like horses - far too dangerous and unpredictable and living so close to the New Forest I've grown up giving them a wide berth :wtf:

It's a mate's 40th birthday and this is what he wanted to do so off we go tomorrow morning, meeting at Wetherspoons in town for brekkie at 9am before jumping on a train.
I've seen him drink 12 pints with nary a wobble so it'll be a long day for me, not drinking, but hopefully it should be fun especially if it's not bloody raining !

I do quite well with football betting but haven't got a Scooby when it comes to the gee-gees.
Any tips would be welcome !

:)
A long time since I've been and like you have little idea what to go for when betting.

Best method is to just pick the ones with names you like it usually does better than those who think they know what they are doing. ;)
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
One Eyed Thompson
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by One Eyed Thompson »

There's one in the 3.50 called Plaisir D'Amour. Good horse this time last year (sometimes horses prefer a certain time of year). Given your French connections might be an omen as well.

Other than that have a look at them in the parade ring. For chasers (not so much hurdlers) it's a good sign if they carry their heads low and have a big backside!

Good luck.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

I really enjoy a day at the races, tend to go once or twice a month, although I generally prefer the flat to jumps, as there is far less risk of the horse getting hurt. Funnily enough, it’s the start of the turf flat season tomorrow.

I tend to pick my horses on form, going, jockey and trainer trends etc, but a mate of mine always backs number 1 and 3. Number 1, in handicaps, is generally the best horse in the race (but carries top weight) and, my mate feels number 3 is generally under handicapped. It’s weird how often one or the other wins, although he tends to back them both each way when the odds allow.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Deleted User 728

Wow, some really sound advice here - thanks chaps :thumbup:

You've made me look forward to it a lot more now :)
I've taken a screen-grab of the page because I know I'll forget what you all said this time tomorrow .. although, to be honest, SW's advice was what I was gonna do anyway :D
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

rigger wrote:Wow, some really sound advice here - thanks chaps :thumbup:

You've made me look forward to it a lot more now :)
I've taken a screen-grab of the page because I know I'll forget what you all said this time tomorrow .. although, to be honest, SW's advice was what I was gonna do anyway :D
Have not got a scoobie about horses but a hoof on each corner would be a start. Can never understand why the smart horse that can race itself without a pilot and who always wins is never allowed the prize!
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

Pick the prettiest horse in the field ;)

No seriously as mentioned go on form, breeding and jockey it should lead you in the right direction. Only being the races once in the last 6 years and did win on that method.
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Hope you took the numbers 1&3 advice Rigger, either one or the other, or both, made the frame in 6 out of the 7 races :thumbup:
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Deleted User 728

You're not wrong, Kev ! :o

In the end, I came out precisely .. even :D

I had 3 2nd places and a third, all of which I put on the nose :wtf:
But I did have one winner at 10/1 so I scooped £50 on that which meant I broke even for the day.

Bloody good fun though - met some great people, had a good craic, saw some wonderful animals (of all kinds ;) ) and would definitely go again :)
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

rigger wrote:You're not wrong, Kev ! :o

In the end, I came out precisely .. even :D

I had 3 2nd places and a third, all of which I put on the nose :wtf:
But I did have one winner at 10/1 so I scooped £50 on that which meant I broke even for the day.

Bloody good fun though - met some great people, had a good craic, saw some wonderful animals (of all kinds ;) ) and would definitely go again :)
As long as you had a good time, and the horses got back safe and sound which they did today, there’s no better day out (other than Elland Road on a Saturday afternoon :D). I always, always back each way when I can, i.e around 4/1 in a sixteen runner race or 5/1 in less.

Always fancied owning (or part owning) a racehorse, my ex-boss whom I’m still good mates with offered me it a few times but I never took up his offer. One of my big regrets.