Ray Wilkins

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Re: Ray Wilkins

Post by mapperleywhite »

My son met him in recent years at St George's Park and reported very positively on the experience.

RIP
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

Very Sad! RIP Mr Wilkins

Remember that great goal he scored in the 1983 FA Cup Final for Manure against Brighton in the 2-2 draw, sadly Smith did not score!
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
zigzag
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by zigzag »

Loved the tone of his voice and his turn of phrase, I could have listened to him all day.

And from what people are saying about him he seemed a very nice bloke, he will be missed.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

zigzag wrote:Loved the tone of his voice and his turn of phrase, I could have listened to him all day.

And from what people are saying about him he seemed a very nice bloke, he will be missed.
Listened to a good hour of H & J on talkSPORT yesterday and the people phoning in were fantastic, from just about every ex-footballer around, through journos, pros from other sports, punters, you name it .. really moving tribute to a great man.
SCOTTISH LEEDS
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

In an Instagram post paying tribute to his former manager, ex-QPR midfielder Nigel Quashie told the story of how Wilkins gave him his debut against Manchester United at Old Trafford.

I will always be proud to say how lucky I am to have been coached, managed and even to have met you. If it wasn't for you I would never have started my career playing football and I will never forget going to Manchester United as a YTS trainee to do all the kit and boots in the changing room for the first-team squad.

One hour and 30 minutes before kick-off you name the team and I was in it, and that's how my debut went. I didn't even get to think about it because all you said was: you're number 18, here are your boots and shin pads, just go and play, have fun and treat it like you're over the park with your mates.

My mum never had a mobile phone back then because we couldn't afford anything like that and everything went through her work or home phone. I asked you after the game if I could call home to speak to her. You said use my mobile and call this number - it was my mum on the other end of the line and she said she was outside by the away team bus.

I went outside to see her and asked how did you get here because I knew she couldn't afford it. She told me Ray had got the club to pay for her train ticket to come to the game and then told me Ray got the club to give us our first mobile phone in life during the week and he wanted to surprise me, knowing I was making my debut.

I was given a chance by Ray Wilkins, one of the legends of the game, and to this day you are the first person I mention when it comes to football and that will never change. You will be missed so much not just in the football world but as a real human being with such class. Thanks for everything and my thoughts go to all the family. Sleep well Sir Ray Wilkins.

What a fitting tribute from Nigel Quashie which sums up everything about Ray Wilkins.

RIP.
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

Brilliant...
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

That's absolutely beautiful :)
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

Really heart felt that by Quashie. I'm sure Ray would be overwhelmed by the outpouring of emotion and support. R.I.P