The Masters

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
SCOTTISH LEEDS
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Re: The Masters

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

Selby White wrote:On that note do we have any Golfers on here ?

How good are you ?

I've had 3 attempts at the game for between 5 and 10 years each time.

First time in my 30's and got handicap down to 14.
2nd time in my 40's actually got down to 11
Had another go in my early 50's and only got to 17.

Always wanted to get to a single figure handicap just never quite made it.
I joined Forfar golf club as a junior way back in the late 70s and then was still a member till the late 80s when I had to give my membership up due to work.

Never had a handicap as just wasnt interested in playing competions.

My pal and myself just played for the fun of it.

Would have the odd game each year but work meant not a lot of time left to play.

Around 2000 played a lot as the warehouse manager where I worked was a keen golfer and he got me back playing on a weekly basis but that only last a couple of years.

When I came down to Yorkshire I played a lot in the summer of 2016 with friends I had made down here and unfortunately havent played since.

Also cant believe how expensive it is to be member down here, Scottish clubs are usually between £400 and £500 down here it £800+ for a years membership.
90 miles a hour
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by 90 miles a hour »

Love the golf and play twice a week some times three weather permitting
Played a lot in the late 80s to middle of 90s then stop due to work
Started again around 3 years ago and play off a handicap of 16 at the moment but did get down to a 8 handicapper in the 90s
And I'm at that good old age now we're i can play in the seniors opens at different clubs and have booked 6 tournaments in June this year up in Scotland
Just love the competitive aspect of it and the friendship you have with golfers
Plus it keeps you fit (that's what I tell the wife ) and gets you out for 4/5 hours :D :D
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Selby White wrote:
johnh wrote:

How good are you ?

Got down to 10 once. Played off 14 most of my golfing life. (Don't play now) Best ever round was a 76 which included a 7 on a par 3! Once won a 'pairs' competition at Moor Park with 53 Stableford points. (Had 3 consecutive birdies, two with shots for a haul of 11 points). Highlight: Played in the Pro-Am of the World Matchplay Championship at Wentworth.
Remember best round I had was in a match play competition, was actually 3 under the course after 11 holes (and getting abuse from my opponent), won the match on the 12th. Carried on but slumped a little to finish 4 over (that was 12 under as playing off 16 at the time).

My mate and I got to the inter-works pairs final twice and first time the company paid for us to play it at the Belfry, other time we played at Ganton (near Malton) which is one of the top Yorkshire Clubs.
Didn't start playing golf until after I moved South, so haven't played much in Yorkshire. Headingley, Low Laithes and Abbeydale (Sheffield). Also played a new course near Harrogate but can't remember the name. Abbeydale is a very nice course.
Used to keep a list of all the courses I played (lost it!) got up to 110.
I once played against Don Revie.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

johnh wrote:
Selby White wrote:
johnh wrote:

How good are you ?

Got down to 10 once. Played off 14 most of my golfing life. (Don't play now) Best ever round was a 76 which included a 7 on a par 3! Once won a 'pairs' competition at Moor Park with 53 Stableford points. (Had 3 consecutive birdies, two with shots for a haul of 11 points). Highlight: Played in the Pro-Am of the World Matchplay Championship at Wentworth.
Remember best round I had was in a match play competition, was actually 3 under the course after 11 holes (and getting abuse from my opponent), won the match on the 12th. Carried on but slumped a little to finish 4 over (that was 12 under as playing off 16 at the time).

My mate and I got to the inter-works pairs final twice and first time the company paid for us to play it at the Belfry, other time we played at Ganton (near Malton) which is one of the top Yorkshire Clubs.
Didn't start playing golf until after I moved South, so haven't played much in Yorkshire. Headingley, Low Laithes and Abbeydale (Sheffield). Also played a new course near Harrogate but can't remember the name. Abbeydale is a very nice course.
It's a small world I've a mate who lives near Sheffield and is a member of Abbeydale I believe.

Also have friends from Harrogate that are members of Pannal golf club, wonder if that was where you played ?

About 15 to 20 years ago we used to have a Ryder Cup style competition with the head office. One year we entertained them and the following we had a weekend down south and played them at Marlborough golf club in Wiltshire.
4 of us went down a day early and played at West Berkshire golf club, assume that will be close to you ?
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
90 miles a hour

johnh wrote:
Selby White wrote:
johnh wrote:

How good are you ?

The new one near harrogate John was it rudding park that's the only won i can think off
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Selby White wrote:
johnh wrote:
Selby White wrote:
johnh wrote:

How good are you ?

It's a small world I've a mate who lives near Sheffield and is a member of Abbeydale I believe.

Also have friends from Harrogate that are members of Pannal golf club, wonder if that was where you played ?

About 15 to 20 years ago we used to have a Ryder Cup style competition with the head office. One year we entertained them and the following we had a weekend down south and played them at Marlborough golf club in Wiltshire.
4 of us went down a day early and played at West Berkshire golf club, assume that will be close to you ?
Pannel is one of the old mature courses. Never played it but wish I had. Played Marlborough and West Berks, though West Berks is not as good as East Berks. 90 mph has cracked it, it was Rudding Park.
90 miles a hour

Pannel is one of the old mature courses. Never played it but wish I had. Played Marlborough and West Berks, though West Berks is not as good as East Berks. 90 mph has cracked it, it was Rudding Park.[/quote]
Rudding park played there 4/5 times over the years there's a big hotel there as well all part of the complex
Played there one afternoon me and a friend played our shots from the tee down the fairway as we were walking down to our balls
3 men in black suits came walking towards us and said we would have to wait until they said it was ok to carry on playing
Asked what was going on and y we had to stop playing but they don't answer us after around 10 minutes they just said ok carry on and have a good game
Finish playing and asked in the clubhouse what was going on and told them we had been stop on the course bye the blue's brothers :D
To be informed that BILL CLINTON the former USA president was staying at the hotel and was having a game of golf and they were his security men :? :?
It was the first and only time I have been stopped by the FBI :D :D
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

My top 10 best courses I have played (alphabetical).

St. Andrews
The Belfry
Gleneagles
Moor Park
Swinley Forest
Turnberry
Wentworth
Woburn
Woodhall Spa
Valderrama

My favourite top 3 are: 1. Turnberry 2. Woodhall Spa 3. Valderrama
cheffy007
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by cheffy007 »

johnh wrote:
Selby White wrote:
johnh wrote:
Selby White wrote:
johnh wrote:

How good are you ?

Pannel is one of the old mature courses. Never played it but wish I had. Played Marlborough and West Berks, though West Berks is not as good as East Berks. 90 mph has cracked it, it was Rudding Park.
I play off 12 but I have to have an op on my foot soon so have had to cancel all my society days and a few other competitions for this year. I’m hoping to maybe get a couple of shots back when I hopefully resume next year. Might have to bribe the handicap secretary with a couple of jars of chutney :thumbup:
For homemade pickles, chutneys and tomato ketchup, go to www.stuckinapickle.co.uk
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

If it’s the same chutney we purchased from you at Christmas, I’m sure the secretary will be easily bribed. Mrs B loves the stuff :thumbup:
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.