Weird coincidences .. tell us yours

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Re: Weird coincidences .. tell us yours

Post by johnh »

When I was doing my National Service in Singapore, I was friendly with a guy who I played cricket and football with. He was demobbed a year before me and we exchanged letters when he was back in civvy street (Leicester). He mentioned that he had got a job but didn"t give any details. When I was demobbed I got a job with a Caterpillar Tractor Dealership in Leeds. After a few weeks a letter from the Caterpillar Tractor Company came across my desk and I recognised the signature, it was my mate from Singapore.
I once played against Don Revie.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

johnh wrote:When I was doing my National Service in Singapore, I was friendly with a guy who I played cricket and football with. He was demobbed a year before me and we exchanged letters when he was back in civvy street (Leicester). He mentioned that he had got a job but didn"t give any details. When I was demobbed I got a job with a Caterpillar Tractor Dealership in Leeds. After a few weeks a letter from the Caterpillar Tractor Company came across my desk and I recognised the signature, it was my mate from Singapore.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

I've mentioned this before on another thread so sorry for the repetition.
In late December 1990 I went travelling on my own, to find myself ;) , looking to arrive in Australia in May. I had a year-long Work Visa that was due to start then. Anyway, I had been in Queensland for about 6 months when I decided to move down to Sydney. I'd been in Sydney a day when I was hailed, by name, by someone a few yards behind me. I turned around only to see my sister's boyfriend and, then, coming in to view a few yards behind him was my sister. Unbeknownst to me they had left the village in which we'd all grown up a couple of months earlier while I was working the zucchini fields of southern Queensland. As if that wasn't coincidence enough the following day I bumped in to a lad who was in the year above me at school in Bristol. And who also came from the same small village. An hour later I bumped in to a lad who was in the year below me at school in Bristol, who also came from the same village and who's dad used to take it in turns with my dad to drive us to school. It was the first time I'd seen either of these blokes in over a dozen years. And I don't think I've seen them since.

In case you're interested, I did find myself, we swapped addresses and agreed to send Christmas Cards and such but ... it's sad but we eventually lost touch again.
I still occasonally type my name in to google or FaceFart to see if I'm out there somewhere... No luck so far but I'll keep trying.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

johnh wrote:When I was doing my National Service in Singapore, I was friendly with a guy who I played cricket and football with. He was demobbed a year before me and we exchanged letters when he was back in civvy street (Leicester). He mentioned that he had got a job but didn"t give any details. When I was demobbed I got a job with a Caterpillar Tractor Dealership in Leeds. After a few weeks a letter from the Caterpillar Tractor Company came across my desk and I recognised the signature, it was my mate from Singapore.
Nothing to do with this thread but my mate above, worked for Caterpillar for over 40 years until he retired. When I started with the Caterpillar Dealership I remember saying to my Dad "It will do until I find something better". I stayed there for 30 years!
I once played against Don Revie.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

The word "Avalon" keeps appearing everywhere to me, from Roxy Music on the radio to Avalon Airport in Geelong where i go each year, to Avalon Beach which is on the Central Coast (not far away) and the amount of boats, planes, street names etc which have been called Avalon are in the hundreds. At this rate if i ever have another child i'm sure the name Avalon would crop up somewhere!
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

I live not far from Glastonbury in the original Vale of Avalon. A beautiful place.