Weird coincidences .. tell us yours

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Deleted User 728

Weird coincidences .. tell us yours

Post by Deleted User 728 »

In case you don't know, I load parcels on to vans for UPS from 4am-8am in the mornings, Monday to Friday.
It's a great physical work-out - a bit like being in the gym for four hours - with lots of heavy lifting and every day a shift will see me cover around 8,000 steps. After years of being a manager it's a fantastic job for me, given I'm diabetic, with very little responsibility and I enjoy it despite the anti-social hours.
Scratch that : maybe because of the anti-social hours now I come to think about it.
I get the days free, after all ..

My supervisor is a young man called Jason who's about 26 or 27 and about to become a dad for the third (!!) time and yesterday something really spooky happened. His wife was due last Friday but he said she was three days late the first time and seven with their second so he knew it would probably be the week after the due date.
He knew it was going to be a boy and I asked if he'd got a name ready yet and he bashfully replied : "Bentley".
After I'd finished laughing I asked if he chose the name and he said "No !! It's the wife ! I got to choose the first couple so now it's her go."
I then asked if he was going to paint the baby's room British racing green but he didn't get that so we moved on ..

About an hour into the shift, a box came down the belt with the company name "Bentley" on it. I can't remember what product it was - we get everything coming down for all kinds of industrial and residential use - and it was on his side of the conveyor so I nodded at it when he picked it up and he took a closer look before exclaiming "It's a sign ! It's a sign !" like an extra from The Life Of Brian.
I didn't say that to him as I knew he wouldn't get that, either ..

He's a lovely bloke, just a lot younger than me :wtf:

About half an hour later, he showed me a padded envelope he was about to load on to a van addressed to ... Mr Bentley.

You can probably see where this is going by now ..
It happened twice more : two separate deliveries, four in total, all either to a Mr or Mrs Bentley, or the address was Bentley Road or the product was made by a company called Bentley.

We finished at around quarter past eight and I told him I expected to see him in two weeks time (UPS allow one week's paternity leave plus he's got a week of holiday left to take).

Sure enough, around lunchtime little Bentley came in to the world, mother and baby doing fine :D

What a bloody name, though :crazy:
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Re: Weird coincidences .. tell us yours

Post by johnh »

Weird that. However, this thread has been done before (page 15 Dec 2015) titled Coincidences, unless its time for an update? :D
I once played against Don Revie.
Deleted User 728

Was it me who started it ??

:wtf:
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Think its a bit like when you're thinking of buying or have just bought a new car, you see one around every corner. It's in your head so you notice it more. Parcels for Bentley are probably passing by every day, they just now mean something so your subconscious mind picks up on them.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

rigger wrote:Was it me who started it ??

No, it was me. :D

Edit: Sorry, it was page 16 and there were 2 pages of responses.
Last edited by johnh on 18 Apr 2018, 11:49, edited 1 time in total.
I once played against Don Revie.
Deleted User 728

Yeah, maybe.
Or like when you've been to a new city and you come home raving about the women you saw.

That would be your conscious mind at work .. or maybe that's just me :D
Deleted User 728

johnh wrote:
rigger wrote:Was it me who started it ??

No, it was me. :D
That's a coincidence : I nearly said it was probably you, rather than me :shh: :D
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Coincidence 1 .... For a mates stag do we had promised the wives/girlfriends we would not to go to a well known "cattle market" of a nightclub called the Airport 2000 so had agreed to go to an up market place in Belfast. I got picked up in the taxi and was told we were now heading to said cattle market. I ended up being that sensible one for a change staying sober. At the end of the night I was rounding the groom to be etc up to get taxis home when the best man said we were giving 2 girls a lift home dropping them off on the way. I ended up in the back seat and chatted to the girls until they got out of the taxi. The next morning I was asked by my not long new wife how the night had went and what was the nightclub like. Being young and naive I made up a load of tosh about the Belfast club etc. That afternoon we had to go into town (a one street town at that) and as we walked down the street my wife ran off and threw hers arms around 2 girls coming towards us, she dragged them back and introduced me to them
as old school friends she hadn't seen for years to which one replied "oh we know David, he gave us a lift last night from the Airport 20001"

Things were pretty quiet in our house for a few days later.

Coincidence 2 .... I had been dating a nurse for about 6 months when I started a new job when I was 21. During the training course we split up and went our separate ways. Now jump forward 15 years. One day whilst really bored stuck in a small office/waiting room when away with work the only things in the room was a small black and white portable TV that was broken and a phone with local phone books. I lifted the phone book and flicked through the pages coming to a stop totally randomly on the surname of my ex girlfriend. Being really bored I thought sod it and phoned the number. A girl answered the phone and I asked for (lets call her Ann Bingham) The girl on the phone was her sister who said "Ann" didn't live there anymore as she had got married but she remembered me and thought Ann would love to hear from me. She gave me her number and said give her a call. I did think about it for a while but boredom got the better of me again. I thought "whats the worst thing that can happen?" and rang the number. As soon as I heard the voice I knew it was her but when I told her who it was her tone changed, why are you calling me she asked, I mumbled something about looking for some stuff I'd gave her years ago and was wondering if she still had it, which she did but conversation dried up pretty quickly so we ended the call.

Later that day whilst back in work I was called into the HR office and asked if I'd called the regional managers house earlier that day. "Why the hell would I call the RM house." I replied. I didn't even get on with him in fact we disliked each other immensely ...then it hit me I asked the HR manager to check the staff records to see if the RMs wife was called Ann, she was. What was her maiden name "Bingham" came the reply. I never, ever got promoted nor do I play around..I'D GET CAUGHT
Last edited by Davycc on 18 Apr 2018, 12:06, edited 2 times in total.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
The Thrones Murders
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

rigger wrote:Yeah, maybe.
Or like when you've been to a new city and you come home raving about the women you saw.

That would be your conscious mind at work .. or maybe that's just me :D
No its not. Its called the Tallinn effect...I've had it.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
The Thrones Murders
Deleted User 728

Davycc wrote:Coincidence 1 .... For a mates stag do we had promised the wives/girlfriends we would not to go to a well known "cattle market" of a nightclub called the Airport 2000 so had agreed to go to an up market place in Belfast. I got picked up in the taxi and was told we were now heading to said cattle market. I ended up being that sensible one for a change staying sober. At the end of the night I was rounding the groom to be etc up to get taxis home when the best man said we were giving 2 girls a lift home dropping them off on the way. I ended up in the back seat and chatted to the girls until they got out of the taxi. The next morning I was asked by my not long new wife how the night had went and what was the nightclub like. Being young and naive I made up a load of tosh about the Belfast club etc. That afternoon we had to go into town (a one street town at that) and as we walked down the street my wife ran off and threw hers arms around 2 girls coming towards us, she dragged them back and introduced me to them
as old school friends she hadn't seen for years to which one replied "oh we know David, he gave us a lift last night from the Airport 20001"

Things were pretty quiet in our house for a few days later.

Coincidence 2 .... I had been dating a nurse for about 6 months when I started a new job when I was 21. During the training course we split up and went our separate ways. Now jump forward 15 years. One day whilst really bored stuck in a small office/waiting room when away with work the only things in the room was a small black and white portable TV that was broken and a phone with local phone books. I lifted the phone book and flicked through the pages coming to a stop totally randomly on the surname of my ex girlfriend. Being really bored I thought sod it and phoned the number. A girl answered the phone and I asked for (lets call her Ann Bingham) The girl on the phone was her sister who said "Ann" didn't live there anymore as she had got married but she remembered me and thought Ann would love to hear from me. She gave me her number and said give her a call. I did think about it for a while but boredom got the better of me again. I thought "whats the worst thing that can happen?" and rang the number. As soon as I heard the voice I knew it was her but when I told her who it was her tone changed, why are you calling me she asked, I mumbled something about looking for some stuff I'd gave her years ago and was wondering if she still had it, which she did but conversation dried up pretty quickly so we ended the call.

Later that day whilst back in work I was called into the HR office and asked if I'd called the regional managers house earlier that day. "Why the hell would I call the RM house." I replied. I didn't even get on with him in fact we disliked each other immensely ...then it hit me I asked the HR manager to check the staff records to see if the RMs wife was called Ann, she was. What was her maiden name "Bingham" came the reply. I never, ever got promoted nor do I play around..I'D GET CAUGHT

That's you off the drug mules list then :D