Achilles Tendon problems

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Achilles Tendon problems

Post by Another Northern Soul »

I think I've started getting tendonitis in both Achilles tendons. I don't do much jogging but plenty of walking and I think, even though I've worn the same footwear for ages, something has caused tendon issues. Very sore and inflexible on a morning.

Anyone had it or suffer from it, can you advise best ways to treat it or help not get it again? Thanks v much :)
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Achilles Tendon problems

Post by Selby White »

"Not get it again" may not be an option, I get it at times, in fact just getting over it.

I've actually developed a small lump at the back of the Achilles.

Reason for mine is basically over the years I've suffered a few joint (knee/ankle/foot) problems due to sports injuries and gout (now that is painful).

The problems with the Achilles is basically due to hobbling around and not walking correctly, it comes and goes and is very tight and sore when it happens.

So how to help - I've been to the physio and was given a few exercises to do which mainly involved stretching the calf. Its not an overnight cure but believe it does help.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Do you stretch before going walking ??
I don't mean to the shops for a paper, but for longer distances ?
Stretching is actually a good idea anyway, once you get to 50 or so.

I do some before work every morning, once I'm actually there I mean.

I have a problem with my right elbow - I think it's tennis elbow, which is a form of RSI from my job - and I wear a support for it every day when I'm working.

I would suggest getting a couple of elastic bandages and wearing them, or actual ankle supports. They come in different sizes so make sure you get one that isn't too tight or else you'll cause other problems.

About a year ago I twisted/sprained my ankle really badly at work and it took about nine months to heal properly because I'd twang it again every so often. Again, I wore a support and it helped me a lot to get through the shift.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Thanks guys. In all my 'career' of footie playing and trying/failing to keep in shape and bad injuries, I've been lucky with my knees and with Achilles, this problem just seemed to flare up out of nowhere and for no apparent reason. Osteo arthritis in my right hip doesn't help, obvs :P
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

Were you shot with an arrow from Paris?
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

SiMamu wrote:Were you shot with an arrow from Paris?
Pretty certain that the only guy who lives in Paris and owns a bow and arrow, doesn"t know where ANS lives. :lol:
I once played against Don Revie.