What TV platform

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

What TV platform

Post by Davycc »

OK her indoors wants to re assess our viewing sources. At present we have;

Sky - Used for terrestrial TV, Sky Sports, HD and Discovery etc no Movies
Netflix - shared with the kids (kids being 25 -30) we get 5 log ins for about £7
A Kodi box - rarely used but the odd movie watched.

I must admit that as much as I hate it I keep sky mainly for the sports just to watch the Leeds games without issues and the Discovery Channel which is now repeating a lot so I'm tempted to cancel at the end of our contract.
TBH I'm finding I'm watching more Netflix than anything else lately, some of their "Netflix Originals" i.e. Bloodline, Star Trek, Helix, Swiss Family Robinson are very watchable and their other shows are great such as Fargo, Ozark (brilliant TV and excellent viewing).

Kodi - I find I only look at every now and then but it costs nothing after the initial box purchase.

Anyone else switch between platforms or have other viewing ideas?
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
BrighouseWhite
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Re: What TV platform

Post by BrighouseWhite »

The only platforms we have is the TV's built-in Freeview and an Amazon firestick thingy to watch Netflix, though it's mainly Mrs BW that uses it.
As I work 4 nights a week it's not really worth having Sky, if there's a Leeds match on while I'm at home I usually find a stream for it somewhere.
There's light at the end of the tunnel and the future's looking very bright indeed.
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

BrighouseWhite wrote:... it's not really worth having Sky, if there's a Leeds match on while I'm at home I usually find a stream for it somewhere.
Same as. Can't justify paying for sports that I just don't have the time to watch.
For a Leeds match, I find a stream and cast it to the TV using a Chromecast.
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

kk_white wrote:
BrighouseWhite wrote:... it's not really worth having Sky, if there's a Leeds match on while I'm at home I usually find a stream for it somewhere.
Same as. Can't justify paying for sports that I just don't have the time to watch.
For a Leeds match, I find a stream and cast it to the TV using a Chromecast.

Yep agreed, we cut back from the movies etc a few months back and are just waiting until our contracts up then Skys gone :wave:
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

I'd cut the SKY platform out completely, but it's just so handy for recording programmes, especially things for the kids. Once they are out of baby/junior TV etc, I'll cut it completely. They thankfully are sporty/active kiddies and don't watch a lot of TV, but with the West of Ireland weather, it's always good that they can take a little couch time when we're cooking dinner etc.
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

We switched from Sky to Virgin a couple of years ago. Whilst we were with Sky I reduced our bill by getting rid of CCTV, MTV which they lump on automatically & the movie channel. If there's a movie we want to see we simply buy the DVD.
Winner of the Europa League