Great Covers of Great Songs

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Deleted User 3289

Re: Great Covers of Great Songs

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

Nice little cover/remix of Wicked Game Originally by Chris Isaac...

Deleted User 3289

Not really a cover more like a alternative version of Lennon's I'm losing you (with Cheap Trick)

Deleted User 3289

Nothing will ever beat the original for me. Great cover tho imo.

Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:Nothing will ever beat the original for me. Great cover tho imo.

Chrissie does a great cover but nothing can compare/compete with Nick Drake.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Cover of a Kinks classic
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Saxon
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by Saxon »

I haven't figured out how to get videos posted yet, but I have 3/4 songs I am recommending to anyone interested.
Today I am in a bit of a somber mood, don't know why, so if you listen to these songs you won't have to move the furniture back to dance.
I have picked a few songs with meaning and sometimes a story line behind them.

First off I'll go with Bryan Ferry/Roxy Music's Tribute to John Lennon, their version of 'Jealous Guy'. Easier listening but still retains John's feelings.
Next up,' Hey Jude', by Wilson Pickett. When I first heard this years ago I dismissed it maybe because it wasn't a stax original I don't know. The guitar work on this was pointed out to me several years ago, superb, so tasteful and appropriate for the song, none other than Duane Allman. Further listening, Pickett really gives this song extra meaning, which I thought nobody could as it is such a personal song by Paul Mcartney.
Next ,Rod Stewart and the faces covering the Temptations 'I'm loosing you'. Well, this week I'm listening to a Motown compilation in the car, this song get's to me, something missing, there's a suggestion of something else, an undercurrent menacing feeling, but Motown records,they have to have love/pop songs, why don't they turn the band loose and play what they feel? That's what Rod and the faces do with this, and an excellent drum solo to boot.
Back in the day, a band I saw several times live, The Nice, Keith Emerson's band before ELP. Their version of "America' from the play/film West Side story turns the song upside down. The song is now only instrumental, people say soul music is a transferring of an emotion, well this is, but the emotion is anger, protest, you feel it, Vietnam, gun violence on the streets, race discrimination, it's a picture of what we were back then.There is one vocal line at the end of the song by a 3 year old boy, child of soul singer PP Arnold, "Dawn is pregnant with promises and anticipation but is murdered by the hand of the inevitable".If you don't feel what I'm talking about, listen to the song, loud, you will.
I'll wrap it up with Brook Benton's Rainy Night in Georgia, written and first recorded by Tony Joe White, I never heard of him, I thought Ray Charles owned this song, anyway, some smooth laid back vocals. Strange thing, I'm just reading original songwriter was inspired to write this song after moving to another state and listening to "Ode to Billie Joe", which I just mentioned in a post on new members, long odds that.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Saxon wrote:I haven't figured out how to get videos posted yet, but I have 3/4 songs I am recommending to anyone interested.

Saxon, Go to YouTube and find the video you want then copy the Share" code which will look something like this -

https://youtu.be/LHey3FIyujQ

Then select youtube option on your forum post and you will get this -

[youtube][/youtube]

Paste the code between the two sets of brackets but only the number letter combination at the end (delete the first part of the link) -

LHey3FIyujQ
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Paloma Faith making her own kind of music with someone else's song (Mama Cass Elliott) -

Saxon

Post by Saxon »

Thanks SW, I will give it a shot later.
My Grandson is coming over, I might need him.
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

[youtube][uvjTo-hRD5c]
First heard this cover version about 20 years ago when out in Indiana repairing machinery.
Went over to the kid who was playing it, "Who the hell is this?" "Pearl Jam, Last kiss". Must have been 30 years earlier since I last heard it and still as poignant. Good job Pearl Jam.