Christmas

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Spiderman
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Christmas

Post by Spiderman »

Just had the best Christmas ever as at two years old my Granddaughter is starting to understand & show genuine joy & wonder.

Went into Wakefield today & bumped into an old colleague who retired about ten years ago, he was showing signs of his age (70's) white hair, walking stick.

He smiled when he saw me & we shook hands, "how's things? Have you had a good Christmas" I asked.
"No not really, I lost my wife on 17th" he replied, poor guy then started crying, I took his arm & offered my condolences, he declined my offer of treating him to a coffee.
I thought as I was walking away this guy had a distinguished career in the Royal Marines before I met him & in the time I worked with him he was an absolute gentleman, he even shared my humour.
Was treating him to a coffee really the best I could offer?

He is now in my thoughts & thinking what a miserable Christmas he has had, I know if he had lost his wife earlier in the year his Christmas would still have not have been pleasant but he would have had some time to grieve.

Can't help thinking I should have given my phone number & told him to ring whenever he wanted a chat even though he probably wouldn't ring.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Christmas

Post by Davycc »

Spidy

believe me the offer of a coffee may have been like offering the world to him. With his past service he may have felt at the time it was showing some kind of weakness (I know many that think like that believe me) in accepting it. but he will always remember the offer that was made. We could offer the world to someone in his situation and it would mean so much less than a simple coffee and a chat ..... you did right mate. :thumbup:
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Deleted User 728

Re: Christmas

Post by Deleted User 728 »

I agree with Davy - he's proper old school by the sounds of it so he would only have declined out of embarrassment I would have thought.

It's not too late to get back in touch though, is it ? I'm sure someone like that would have a listed phone number in the book, so you could probably find him and send a card with your contact details.

Don't feel bad though - a lot of people prefer to be on their own at times like these (I mean both Xmas and when you've lost someone).