Pet Peeves - Get it off your chest!

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Deleted User 3289

Re: Pet Peeves - Get it off your chest!

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

When a big word pops in my head I don't know what's worst? Not knowing what it means, or not being able to spell it. :D
Deleted User 5081

Post by Deleted User 5081 »

rigger wrote:Go to sleep, mate.

Come back in the morning and see if you remember writing all that :D
I remembered it all, I have no apologies for it either. I stand by what i said.

I respect people here and always will. Its a good website one that has given me a connection to everything LUFC for a few years now.

I get touchy when I see the language police out and about, maybe because of my own dyslexic tendencies. I also have an issue with old fashioned teachers who like to put a person down for language difficulties. Anyhow, I'm not here to argue or point fingers at anyone. I'm here to read, type and keep on doing so.
Deleted User 5081

Davycc wrote:Yep Corky have a nap as we know you've been on the sauce. Have a read back there were no fingers pointed at forum members here. I know you are defending others, and I respect that, admire it but your a tad jumpy this time. Believe me i know the feeling you will have in the morning, I've have that " oh crap did I write that moment.

No harm done mate :thumbup:
Its all good Mate. Sometimes, i'm blunt and to the point. But in truth I'm harmless and a cool guy. :D
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

CorkWhite wrote:
Davycc wrote:Yep Corky have a nap as we know you've been on the sauce. Have a read back there were no fingers pointed at forum members here. I know you are defending others, and I respect that, admire it but your a tad jumpy this time. Believe me i know the feeling you will have in the morning, I've have that " oh crap did I write that moment.

Its all good Mate. Sometimes, i'm blunt and to the point. But in truth I'm harmless and a cool guy. :D
We're all passionate about something, makes us who we are and blunt is not the worst thing someone can be .... and moving on :thumbup:
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Deleted User 5081

Davycc wrote:
CorkWhite wrote:

We're all passionate about something, makes us who we are and blunt is not the worst thing someone can be .... and moving on :thumbup:
I'm loving your new profile pic by the way. Always brings back fond memories of Jack and Vera, now we can say Marcelo and Vera :lol:
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

The purpose of 'communication' is to ensure that others understand the message you are trying to convey. From time to time I see spelling mistakes and grammar issues but can't remember them ever preventing me from understanding the message (except on the odd occasion the poster is pi**ed. :lol: ). As it's also near the end of another year, perhaps it is time to highlight what an excellent job the Mod's do on this site which is why it is top quality. :thumbup:
I once played against Don Revie.
Deleted User 5081

johnh wrote:The purpose of 'communication' is to ensure that others understand the message you are trying to convey. From time to time I see spelling mistakes and grammar issues but can't remember them ever preventing me from understanding the message (except on the odd occasion the poster is pi**ed. :lol: ). As it's also near the end of another year, perhaps it is time to highlight what an excellent job the Mod's do on this site which is why it is top quality. :thumbup:
Agreed 100% Sir John. I know i can be rash with my views But i do want to say happy Christmas to the MODS the people who make this website survive for us all. I wish that 2019 can be the year for us all to say bye bye to the Championship also.

MOT
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

johnh wrote:The purpose of 'communication' is to ensure that others understand the message you are trying to convey. From time to time I see spelling mistakes and grammar issues but can't remember them ever preventing me from understanding the message (except on the odd occasion the poster is pi**ed. :lol: ). As it's also near the end of another year, perhaps it is time to highlight what an excellent job the Mod's do on this site which is why it is top quality. :thumbup:
Thank you John, I'm a bit busy at the moment banning scummy threads & infiltrators :D

I've kept out of this debate because I do genuinely get peeved when I see people using 'of' instead of 'have' and other 'mistakes', not necessarily on here BTW. Those examples are nothing to do with dyslexia and, in all seriousness, if there was a general attitude of slagging anyone off for being dyslexic then I'd be up for more bans before leaving the forum myself. It just doesn't happen here.
Deleted User 5081

Another Northern Soul wrote:
Thank you John, I'm a bit busy at the moment banning scummy threads & infiltrators :D

I've kept out of this debate because I do genuinely get peeved when I see people using 'of' instead of 'have' and other 'mistakes', not necessarily on here BTW. Those examples are nothing to do with dyslexia and, in all seriousness, if there was a general attitude of slagging anyone off for being dyslexic then I'd be up for more bans before leaving the forum myself. It just doesn't happen here.
I never said anyone was slagging off people with dyslexia, i was referring to that condition myself which i have had all my life with I's and E's in words. I just wanted to make the point that sometimes i have noticed that it can be a little too much to see Mods pointing it out blatantly when someone makes a spelling or grammar error while typing. I am in no way meaning to create any stupid arguments with anyone, Trust me i don't want any kind of ill feeling about this. I do however believe that sometimes people can forget that we are not all the same in life and we all have our own issues to contend with. Language is something we all learn and continue to learn and yes if there are issues with someone posting grammatical errors or spelling errors then i do think it can be done in a more less embarrassing way.

I Tend to look at things as half full rather than half empty and I know you guys and girls are good folks. That's why i raised the point. Dismiss it if you want but someday you will face the same thing. you have not only English speakers here but a blend of international Leeds fans that also need a little bit more subtlety in how you address the incorrectness of language. Remember that sometimes although its an English speaking community we aspire to we also have some who are using the website as a second language, I am not personally as i'm a Yorkshire man born and bred but that doesn't give me the right to tell someone watch their P's and Q's.
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

Sniffer wrote:The use of the word "been" for the word "being". A present participle of "to be" being replaced by a past participle of "to be". From the imperfect to the almost perfect if you will.
This is the post that seems to have started this off. As soon as I find this Sniffer character I'll give him a piece of my mind. ;)

I'm sorry it upset you, CW, but, as I said to Rigger, it wasn't aimed at anyone on here. I appreciate I could have come across as a bit of a pedant or a know-all which is why I took the p155 out of myself in a later post.

MOT