Pet Peeves - Get it off your chest!

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Re: Pet Peeves - Get it off your chest!

Post by johnh »

kk_white wrote:
Another Northern Soul wrote:... Noticed how many people answer a question, or even start a conversation with 'So...' ? That's getting annoying now too :lol:
Latest peeve, at least on this side of the water, is people answering questions with 'Yeah, no..' when agreeing with a negative question:

"John, I put it too you that there is no longer any need for the offside rule...''

''Yeah, no, it should be abolished.'' :x :x
I don't remember saying that! :lol:
I once played against Don Revie.
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

johnh wrote:
kk_white wrote:
Another Northern Soul wrote:... Noticed how many people answer a question, or even start a conversation with 'So...' ? That's getting annoying now too :lol:
Latest peeve, at least on this side of the water, is people answering questions with 'Yeah, no..' when agreeing with a negative question:

"John, I put it too you that there is no longer any need for the offside rule...''

''Yeah, no, it should be abolished.'' :x :x
I don't remember saying that! :lol:
Ooops, should have used a non forum members name :thumbup:
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

When people at a bar, for example, ask 'Can i have a pint of bitter please?'

My personal theory :crazy: is that this approach is part of the 'scarcity mentality' that evolved after WW2. (Older members may want debate; rationing ended the year I was born)

I would suggest the correct grammar is 'May I have a pint of bitter please?'

But when I'm in that situation I say 'I'd like a pint of bitter please'

I attribute this to my sojourn in the USA, where the customer is always king. At least I would never start the request with 'Gimme....'
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

mapperleywhite wrote:When people at a bar, for example, ask 'Can i have a pint of bitter please?'

My personal theory :crazy: is that this approach is part of the 'scarcity mentality' that evolved after WW2. (Older members may want debate; rationing ended the year I was born)

I would suggest the correct grammar is 'May I have a pint of bitter please?'

But when I'm in that situation I say 'I'd like a pint of bitter please'

I attribute this to my sojourn in the USA, where the customer is always king. At least I would never start the request with 'Gimme....'
At least it's not "Can I get …". Personally I would just say " a pint of bitter please". Or cider considering my current location.
cheffy007
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by cheffy007 »

People constantly asking me if I’m ok when I’m at work. If I wasn’t ok I’d ask for help. The one that really gets me at the moment is the dumb arse question “are you in a good place?” No, because I’m at bloody work, if I was in a good place I’d be in the pub.
For homemade pickles, chutneys and tomato ketchup, go to www.stuckinapickle.co.uk
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

Like Peter Kay says in one of his stand-up shows. When you get a Taxi after a few pints you can't seem to stop yourself saying the 2 phrases. Have you been busy? and what time do you knock off. Everytime :D
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Bought a new Bosch dishwasher, installed last Friday. Half-way through second load, got an error message on the display. Looked it up in handbook and it said 'phone the helpline'. Phoned and was kept on hold for 10 minutes while it played almost non-stop adverts on Bosch products. Finally got a human and they told me an engineer would call on Thursday NEXT WEEK. :wtf:
I once played against Don Revie.
Deleted User 2747

Post by Deleted User 2747 »

johnh wrote:Bought a new Bosch dishwasher, installed last Friday. Half-way through second load, got an error message on the display. Looked it up in handbook and it said 'phone the helpline'. Phoned and was kept on hold for 10 minutes while it played almost non-stop adverts on Bosch products. Finally got a human and they told me an engineer would call on Thursday NEXT WEEK. :wtf:
Can completely empathise. :x

I had similar trouble recently with LG over my washing machine. Spent a bit more than usual and the thing is a nightmare. Have had to put up with ear-fulls of company speak. The amount of times I was told 'Yes I completely understand' - from their scripted replies.

Then I was expected to wait 1 week for an engineer to come and do a report; then another week for the port to arrive in the correct email box of an LG customer service operator; then nearly another week to have a different engineer come and say that the first engineer was wrong and that it didn't need those two parts. He then tightened a few screws and told me it was normal for it to sound and smell like a 30 year old Hotpoint when it spins with a load in!

I am saving my strength now to ring them up and tell them the issue has not been solved.., Should it really smell of hot rubber and make a thumping noise when spinning?

They refused to send me a new machine, even though it would most likely have been cheaper for them to do that.

:twisted: :evil:

Good Luck with your dishwasher!
Last edited by Deleted User 2747 on 09 Nov 2018, 09:04, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 2747

Post by Deleted User 2747 »

Just writing a post now reminded me of another pet peeve...
American English dictionary on websites and on my laptop, since I switched to Linux.

No there isn't a 'x' in every single word ending in 'ise'...And the rest of their nasty Americanizzzations! :x
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

When i'm on a till at work and the total is £10.60 say. Anyway some customers take the £10 out of their wallet/purse, then precede to blow on it, wave it in the air, lick it and stick it on their forehead. Then give it me and say. Just make sure that i've only given you one note there!!!!!