Pet Peeves - Get it off your chest!

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Re: Pet Peeves - Get it off your chest!

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Mobile phones I hate them, no so much the phones but the folk using them. I don't want to know what you're having to eat, how your date went or what you're doing at the weekend. :evil:
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Said it before..... stupid cups in cafes that you couldn't put a pinkie finger through the handle never mind a forefinger.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

The use of "pinkie" to denote the smallest finger on a hand.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Davycc wrote:Said it before..... stupid cups in cafes that you couldn't put a pinkie finger through the handle never mind a forefinger.

Davy, surely you wouldn't want to put your 'pinkie' finger through the handle anyway? I always imagined you holding your cup with your 'pinkie' finger sticking out and up. :D
I once played against Don Revie.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Frankie wrote:Just writing a post now reminded me of another pet peeve...
American English dictionary on websites and on my laptop, since I switched to Linux.

No there isn't a 'x' in every single word ending in 'ise'...And the rest of their nasty Americanizzzations! :x
It goes further than that I think, Frankie, as US Word adds in punctuation where it's not needed, such as semi-colons in place of full stops, and a comma after 'but' virtually every time. It's more than a pet peeve if you're writing official documentation etc etc :x
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Sniffer wrote:The use of "pinkie" to denote the smallest finger on a hand.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
zigzag
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by zigzag »

Women in supermarkets who insist on packing up all their shopping before then getting their money/card out of their purse to pay for it, Ladies when the checkout operator tells you the total hand over your payment method there and then and whilst that payment is being processed you can carry on packing away your shopping (and dont get me started on when they then have to rummage around for every voucher that they possess)
Deleted User 2747

Post by Deleted User 2747 »

American English dictionary on websites and on my laptop, since I switched to Linux.

No there isn't a 'x' in every single word ending in 'ise'...And the rest of their nasty Americanizzzations! :x

Of course that should say 'z' in every single word ending in 'ise'...Again this reminds me now of another thing that drives me mad :x and that is my tendency to make stupid typos all the time. :oops:
Deleted User 2747

Post by Deleted User 2747 »

Another Northern Soul wrote:

It goes further than that I think, Frankie, as US Word adds in punctuation where it's not needed, such as semi-colons in place of full stops, and a comma after 'but' virtually every time. It's more than a pet peeve if you're writing official documentation etc etc :x

And the shortening of many words particularly like oriented instead of orientated.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

zigzag wrote:Women in supermarkets who insist on packing up all their shopping before then getting their money/card out of their purse to pay for it, Ladies when the checkout operator tells you the total hand over your payment method there and then and whilst that payment is being processed you can carry on packing away your shopping (and dont get me started on when they then have to rummage around for every voucher that they possess)
And the women who wait until everything is done before rummaging in their bag for their purse, which always seems to take an age. Then, they insist on paying the exact amount in cash which results in further rummaging to find the exact coins. Then having failed to find the exact coins, they give coins that require change. The cashier gets the change and then the woman finds the exact coin and insists on taking the coin which required change back and hands over the 2p piece, or whatever. This further confuses things and adds further delay of several seconds. This has happened to me on a number of occasions. Its bad enough when you are next in the queue but sends me potty when I'm third or fourth! :crazy:
I once played against Don Revie.