Confusion on 'Yorkshire'

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
daib0
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Confusion on 'Yorkshire'

Post by daib0 »

I've just read this:

"Have an opinion about the newest parts of Yorkshire...
Even people from within Yorkshire can get into a bit of bother about this one. There is some confusion about which are the newest bits of the county; some say the East Riding is the newest, after the abolition of Humberside in the 1980s; others believe it is traditionally South Yorkshire, as there were originally three ridings (meaning thirds) – North, West and East. This discussion is not advisable, particularly with those from the East Riding."

Can some of you fill me in here, please, I'm lost on this?!
A friendly Reading FC fan! He is a moderator here: http://www.extremefootballforum.com/forum
Deleted User 2747

Re: Confusion on 'Yorkshire'

Post by Deleted User 2747 »

I think you are right there regarding South Yorkshire.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

You are correct there was always 3 Ridings of Yorkshire the North, East & West each subdivided into wapentakes. I'm originally from The North Riding & still refer to it as that. Ridings is of Viking origin & derives from Threthingr meaning a third part. Lots of Yorkshire has been lost to Teeside & Humberside but they folk that live in these new counties will tell you they're Yorkshire, maybe the next generation will accept coming from Humberside as opposed to The East Riding. Yorkshire Day is celebrated on the 1st August. There is a place you must never that lies over The Pennines that we refer to as The Darkside ( insert shudder emoji) Not sure if I'm answering your question or not but my final word is when I've been on cruises or in The USA & I'm asked where I come from I tell them in the UK's equivalent of Texas, where every thing is bigger & better. :D
Winner of the Europa League
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

NottinghamWhite wrote: Not sure if I'm answering your question or not but my final word is when I've been on cruises or in The USA & I'm asked where I come from I tell them in the UK's equivalent of Texas, where every thing is bigger & better. :D
So you're really Norn Irish then :D :D :D :D
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
daib0
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by daib0 »

NottinghamWhite wrote:You are correct there was always 3 Ridings of Yorkshire the North, East & West each subdivided into wapentakes. I'm originally from The North Riding & still refer to it as that. Ridings is of Viking origin & derives from Threthingr meaning a third part. Lots of Yorkshire has been lost to Teeside & Humberside but they folk that live in these new counties will tell you they're Yorkshire, maybe the next generation will accept coming from Humberside as opposed to The East Riding. Yorkshire Day is celebrated on the 1st August. There is a place you must never that lies over The Pennines that we refer to as The Darkside ( insert shudder emoji) Not sure if I'm answering your question or not but my final word is when I've been on cruises or in The USA & I'm asked where I come from I tell them in the UK's equivalent of Texas, where every thing is bigger & better. :D
really interesting post! :thumbup:
A friendly Reading FC fan! He is a moderator here: http://www.extremefootballforum.com/forum
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Humberside was abolished in 1996 with the northern part returning to Yorkshire (East Yorkshire) and the southern bit becoming North Lincolnshire.
Hence we now have North, South, East and West Yorkshire.

Where I live in Selby is very close to each, currently we are the southern tip of North Yorkshire but less than 8 mile in various directions we can be in East, West or South.

Back in the day we were classed as West Riding.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Davycc wrote:
NottinghamWhite wrote: Not sure if I'm answering your question or not but my final word is when I've been on cruises or in The USA & I'm asked where I come from I tell them in the UK's equivalent of Texas, where every thing is bigger & better. :D
He said Texas not Arkansas ;)
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Selby White wrote:
Davycc wrote:
He said Texas not Arkansas ;)

:lol: :lol:
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Back in the 60's & 70's Yorkshire used to play county games at Acklam Park in Middlesbrough & The Circle in Hull. As an aside Acklam was my house at school represented by the colour green.
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

As a Yorkshireman living in the East Midlands I still believe in the old Ridings system. I'm originally from the West Riding and as others have said I still refer to it as that. I am asked if Yorkshire is so wonderful why do I live here, my answer is I'm on missionary work, preaching the virtues of Gods County. It is written that the Lord created heaven and earth in six days and on the seventh created Yorkshire :D