Deleted User 5081

Re: Grandstand

Post by Deleted User 5081 »

rigger wrote:
CorkWhite wrote: Just some happy memories of my childhood up until my 30's

That's am impressive childhood.
When did you hit puberty :26 ??

;)
not until i hot 40 i'd say and i'm starting to regress back into it again thinking about grandstand. :D
Deleted User 5081

Post by Deleted User 5081 »

kk_white wrote:
CorkWhite wrote:...Final score was where i loved grandstand the most. I used to love the commentator reading out the scores of every team...
We didn't have BBC until I was in my mid teens, so Sports Stadium on Irish tv (RTE 2) was the highlight of my week.

Getting those final scores was the only access we had until Match of the Day that night (which felt like 3am to me in the late 70/early 80's). Not even a half time score... The excitement scanning the page to see Leeds result.

I would have sworn that Dickie Davies presented Grandstand for a while, but just googled it and now realise it was World of Sport...

Davycc, do you remember BBC Norn Iron cutting off the results half way to go to the Irish League matches? Used to drive us crazy. It felt like Ards played Coleraine every bloody week :lolno:
Yes, i remember that well KK very frustrating indeed. I think Dickie Davis was always on the ITV world of sport show.
Emley White
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by Emley White »

Does anyone remember Frank Bough on his last show saying someone had written in asking why has he always got a scowl on his face when he mentions Leeds United? That has stayed in my mind for many a year. He denied it of course lol
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Emley White wrote:Does anyone remember Frank Bough on his last show saying someone had written in asking why has he always got a scowl on his face when he mentions Leeds United? That has stayed in my mind for many a year. He denied it of course lol
My two sons were at the same primary school as Frank Bough's two sons. All four played for the school football team. Whenever I was able to get to watch a game, Frank Bough was always there. Apparently, he never missed a game. His second son is now Chairman of Maidenhead Rugby Club.
I once played against Don Revie.
zigzag
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by zigzag »

I liked the teleprinter & later the vidiprinter whenever there was a big score (over 6 goals if I remember correctly), it would also say the score in words just to make sure you knew it wasnt a mistype of the score

For example
Leeds United 7 (SEVEN) - Manchester United 0
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

zigzag wrote:I liked the teleprinter & later the vidiprinter whenever there was a big score (over 6 goals if I remember correctly), it would also say the score in words just to make sure you knew it wasnt a mistype of the score

For example
I missed that game, who scored for Leeds? :lol:
Wigan White
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Wigan White »

johnh wrote:
zigzag wrote:I liked the teleprinter & later the vidiprinter whenever there was a big score (over 6 goals if I remember correctly), it would also say the score in words just to make sure you knew it wasnt a mistype of the score

For example
I missed that game, who scored for Leeds? :lol:
Billy Paynter, all 7 of them. :lol:
cheffy007
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by cheffy007 »

Used to love James Alexander Gordon reading the football scores, pausing for the late results and of course the pools panel when the weather caused a lot of postponements. I still think the best commentators were on Grandstand and the BBC in general. Motty, who can forget him stood in that blizzard in his famous sheepskin? Ron Pickering and David Vine on athletics, Bill McLaren and Eddie Waering on rugby union and league respectively, Richie Benaud on the cricket and Murray Walker on formula 1, when it was exciting and worth watching. Oh, and my dad waiting for the pools news. Happy days, glad I lived through them, shame sport is all about money these days.
For homemade pickles, chutneys and tomato ketchup, go to www.stuckinapickle.co.uk
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

Used to love James Alexander Gordon reading the football scores
I almost felt in a trance listening to the football results being pronounced on a sat afternoon. It was a big occasion back then.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

cheffy007 wrote:Used to love James Alexander Gordon reading the football scores, pausing for the late results and of course the pools panel when the weather caused a lot of postponements. I still think the best commentators were on Grandstand and the BBC in general. Motty, who can forget him stood in that blizzard in his famous sheepskin? Ron Pickering and David Vine on athletics, Bill McLaren and Eddie Waering on rugby union and league respectively, Richie Benaud on the cricket and Murray Walker on formula 1, when it was exciting and worth watching. Oh, and my dad waiting for the pools news. Happy days, glad I lived through them, shame sport is all about money these days.
Unless my memory is at fault (regular occurrence these days) Motty, stood in the blizzard, was at Wycombe Wanderers ground. The reason I remember this is that I was watching it 'live' and looked out of the window with no snow anywhere to be seen. We live 10 miles, maybe less, from Wycombe's ground!