George Galloway Dismissed

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Deleted User 2066

George Galloway Dismissed

Post by Deleted User 2066 »

Found out some days ago that George Galloway has been dismissed by Talk Radio for alledegly sending a anti-semetic tweet congratulating Liverpool on their Champions League win. The line "No Israel Flags on the Cup" .
He defended what he had written and actually backed it up with evidence to justify. Looking around the web I found an article
that said the exact same things as George Galloway had stated. The article was written by Simon Kelner, he wrote "Tottenham has traditionally been regarded as a Jewish club, although I am sure the profile of its fanbase merely reflects the ethnic mix of north London. Tottenham fans wave Israeli flags, and they proclaim that they are the “Yid Army”. They sing loudly to that effect. This is clearly offensive, but nothing seems to be done about it." Tottenham fans were waving Israel Flags at the Champions League Final!!!!!!
Although I disagree with some of George Galloways past comments it really looks to me that he has done absolutely nothing wrong on this occasion.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Re: George Galloway Dismissed

Post by johnh »

cybermaf wrote:Found out some days ago that George Galloway has been dismissed by Talk Radio for alledegly sending a anti-semetic tweet congratulating Liverpool on their Champions League win. The line "No Israel Flags on the Cup" .
He defended what he had written and actually backed it up with evidence to justify. Looking around the web I found an article
that said the exact same things as George Galloway had stated. The article was written by Simon Kelner, he wrote "Tottenham has traditionally been regarded as a Jewish club, although I am sure the profile of its fanbase merely reflects the ethnic mix of north London. Tottenham fans wave Israeli flags, and they proclaim that they are the “Yid Army”. They sing loudly to that effect. This is clearly offensive, but nothing seems to be done about it." Tottenham fans were waving Israel Flags at the Champions League Final!!!!!!
Although I disagree with some of George Galloways past comments it really looks to me that he has done absolutely nothing wrong on this occasion.
Not sure I understand this post. Why is it 'clearly offensive' for Tottenham fans to wave Israeli flags and proclaim that they are the 'Yid Army'. They have been doing this for years and it is no different to Celtic fans waving the Republic of Ireland flags. The fact that I, like you, would prefer that they didn't is irrelevant. They are not breaking any law.
I once played against Don Revie.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

I think it's a lot like the Danny Baker sacking a couple of weeks ago : anyone who's ever listened to him broadcast knows there's not a racist bone in his body. It was a genuinely honest misjudgement and actually proves it's just him on social media, unlike a lot of celebrities who employ a service to run publicity for them.

I think Galloway's an interesting character and used to listen to his late night talkSPORT show from time to time. He's a curious, intelligent individual who has, as you said, come out with a few clangers in the past but is a humanitarian at heart.

I am staunchly PC as most people on here are acutely aware, but there are times when everybody needs to take a breath.
Deleted User 728

johnh wrote:
cybermaf wrote:Found out some days ago that George Galloway has been dismissed by Talk Radio for alledegly sending a anti-semetic tweet congratulating Liverpool on their Champions League win. The line "No Israel Flags on the Cup" .
Not sure I understand this post. Why is it 'clearly offensive' for Tottenham fans to wave Israeli flags and proclaim that they are the 'Yid Army'. They have been doing this for years and it is no different to Celtic fans waving the Republic of Ireland flags. The fact that I, like you, would prefer that they didn't is irrelevant. They are not breaking any law.
John, it's because "Yid" is often used as a derogatory remark.
It's a bit like me using the n-word - I can't do that, but two of my old Sunday league team-mates are black twins and they call each other it all the time.

This goes back to what I've said elsewhere about the language we use : if there's a chance a term can be deemed offensive, just don't use it.
But it's complicated. Some women lovingly call each other "b**ch" or "cow" same as I often call mates the c-word.
I would be guarded about who I say it in front of though, for obvious reasons, because that's what you do ..
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Very simply put, if black guys call each other the n-word it's likely to be a term of endearment, if you're white and you consider using such language to black folks, friends or enemies, you're asking for trouble and are a bit dim TBH :D
Deleted User 728

Another Northern Soul wrote:Very simply put, if black guys call each other the n-word it's likely to be a term of endearment, if you're white and you consider using such language to black folks, friends or enemies, you're asking for trouble and are a bit dim TBH :D
Exactly.
You ****.

:D
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Spot on, I must work in the most un-pc company ever when it comes to name calling etc. I, apparently am a vertically challenged annoying C you next Tuesday and that is the least offensive thing said to me today. We have all sorts work here, it's a case of knowing you're audience, friends and colleagues. It's amazing how you switch that off when you know the one or two who whilst they wouldn't complain you know it's not for them even if it's not aimed at them. It's just not done in their company.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Davycc wrote:Spot on, I must work in the most un-pc company ever when it comes to name calling etc. I, apparently am a vertically challenged annoying C you next Tuesday and that is the least offensive thing said to me today. We have all sorts work here, it's a case of knowing you're audience, friends and colleagues. It's amazing how you switch that off when you know the one or two who whilst they wouldn't complain you know it's not for them even if it's not aimed at them. It's just not done in their company.
Davy, that answers a lot of questions. When we met up in High Wycombe, I thought you said all those things because you didn't like me. :lol:
I once played against Don Revie.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

johnh wrote:
Davycc wrote:Spot on, I must work in the most un-pc company ever when it comes to name calling etc. I, apparently am a vertically challenged annoying C you next Tuesday and that is the least offensive thing said to me today. We have all sorts work here, it's a case of knowing you're audience, friends and colleagues. It's amazing how you switch that off when you know the one or two who whilst they wouldn't complain you know it's not for them even if it's not aimed at them. It's just not done in their company.
Davy, that answers a lot of questions. When we met up in High Wycombe, I thought you said all those things because you didn't like me. :lol:
John I only insult those I like, you are in the "circle of trust" as Mr De Niro would say :thumbup:
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Deleted User 728