Musical Concerts or live gigs you have been to see

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
cheffy007
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Re: Musical Concerts or live gigs you have been to see

Post by cheffy007 »

It’s all coming back to me now reading other posts, Pixies, Hamsters, Black Sabbath with Ozzy and Dio, Rainbow, AC/DC with Bon Scott and Brian Johnson, Guns and Roses, Roger Waters, The Who, Badly Drawn Boy, Fairport Convention, Eric Clapton on many nights at The Royal Albert Hall with guests including Phil Collins, Mark Knopfler, Buddy Guy, Cab Calloway, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Andy Fairweather Low. Genesis, Tina Turner, The Cult, Marillion, Bryan Adams, Squeeze, Pretenders.
For homemade pickles, chutneys and tomato ketchup, go to www.stuckinapickle.co.uk
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

SelmaBamaMan wrote:Best one was the Grateful Dead in the 1970s not only for the music but because my 5 year old son begged to go for his 6th birthday and he danced throughout the show.

Other great ones were: Muddy Waters in a small nightclub near Pittsburgh, PA, sitting less than 15 feet from the stage (close enough to see the white powder on the harmonica player’s sleeve). Early 1980s. Talking Heads in the same city around the same time performing in an old 1930s movie theatre that was built with acoustics in mind. Kinks in the same venue. John Cougar in the same venue. Asleep At The Wheel, infamous for their song “My Baby Thinks She’s A Train.” in the same small nightclub. B.B. King in Tallahassee, Florida in 1970-1971 a friend opened a backstage window so I could crawl through it and I heard the concert from the first row – I had no money and was eating Milkbone dry dog food at the time. Tennessee Red, an old blues man, at the Trailways Bus Station in Tallahassee, Florida in the late 1960s to 1971. He played Delta Blues and Piedmont Blues for me several times with stories in between songs.

Those are the best.
Welcome to the forum pal, enjoy :thumbup:
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

SelmaBamaMan wrote:
Other great ones were: Muddy Waters in a small nightclub near Pittsburgh, PA,

Those are the best.
Welcome SBM :thumbup:

Never saw Muddy but his eldest son Mud Morganfield played Selby Town Hall couple of years ago. Would have been rude not to go along.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

cheffy007 wrote:j, Squeeze, Pretenders.
Yep memories flooding back two more on my list there.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

SelmaBamaMan wrote:Best one was the Grateful Dead in the 1970s not only for the music but because my 5 year old son begged to go for his 6th birthday and he danced throughout the show.

Other great ones were: Muddy Waters in a small nightclub near Pittsburgh, PA, sitting less than 15 feet from the stage (close enough to see the white powder on the harmonica player’s sleeve). Early 1980s. Talking Heads in the same city around the same time performing in an old 1930s movie theatre that was built with acoustics in mind. Kinks in the same venue. John Cougar in the same venue. Asleep At The Wheel, infamous for their song “My Baby Thinks She’s A Train.” in the same small nightclub. B.B. King in Tallahassee, Florida in 1970-1971 a friend opened a backstage window so I could crawl through it and I heard the concert from the first row – I had no money and was eating Milkbone dry dog food at the time. Tennessee Red, an old blues man, at the Trailways Bus Station in Tallahassee, Florida in the late 1960s to 1971. He played Delta Blues and Piedmont Blues for me several times with stories in between songs.

Those are the best.
Beautiful list right there and it shows the difference between the US and UK concert market down the years.
I'm not saying one is better than the other but I always think it's a shame that a lot of American/country/blues artists rarely perform here when there's a big market for them to do so.

I really like Asleep At The Wheel, but Lyle Lovett is the man for me.
I'm seeing TTB here next year and met Susan Tedeschi at BB Kings after a gig in Memphis twenty years ago.
Love both Nashville and Memphis - there's always something going on, even on a Tuesday lunchtime :)

Incidentally, I had a gf from Tennessee years ago and she was very proud to have seen Elvis live when she was six years old.
I said that's nothing : when I was six my parents took me to see Dick Emery in Lyme Regis 8-)
Nic
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Nic »

:clap: respect to all your memories, not sure how you remember them all. I've been to far too many to remember them. Maybe like some have said, start a list and then come back?

A few:
Seeing Metallica at Milton Keynes Bowl in the 90's and getting into the mosh pit - intense!
Seeing Stone Roses at Reading festival and Ian Brown being extremely out of key - almost too painful to listen
Seeing Bad Manners in the 00's in Sheffield having seen them in Leeds in 80's was a blast, esp as went with friends known online for ages but not met in person before.
Seeing Reverend and the Makers a few years ago and then being invited to an impromptu gig at a house they were doing the next night.
Seeing tons of rising bands as support acts and then seeing them on headline tour a few years later.
Deleted User 728

Best gig : Anita Baker.

Most memorable/important to me personally : Lewis Taylor. It was his second to last ever before he retired and disappeared.
Felt really special to be there to see an artist I consider to be a genius at work.
I could've touched his feet but resisted and having read sniffer's hilarious post earlier, I'm glad I did now ;)
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

One I forgot. Once went to see Ronnie Hilton live in Leeds. :oops: Can't remember why. Think I got the tickets for free. In the middle of one song, my youngest son started crying about something, can't remember what. Really loud it was and Ronnie Hilton was singing and laughing at the same time, which, to be fair, made us feel a little bit less embarrassed. A bit less embarrassed than me, now, admitting that I went to see Ronnie Hilton live. :shock:

PS That son, now aged 56, is coming down from York to see us today. Really looking forward to it. :thumbup:
I once played against Don Revie.
Deleted User 728

I have no idea who Ronnie Hilton is .. :wtf:
PockWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by PockWhite »

rigger wrote:I have no idea who Ronnie Hilton is .. :wtf:
rigger, liar, liar, pants on fire! A man of your musical background? ;) :D