Musical Concerts or live gigs you have been to see

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Deleted User 5081

Musical Concerts or live gigs you have been to see

Post by Deleted User 5081 »

This is a topic for you Music Lovers to tell us what live bands or concerts you have attended over the years. Feel free to add as much as you want or in snippets.

Some bands/performers in my opinion are great live playing bands while others can't reproduce what we hear on a CD what did you think of your live Concerts?

U2 - X2 both times in Cork excellent live band and fantastic light shows they had. First time was in 1987 where UB40 were the back up band and where my like for UB40 began.
Michael Jackson - 1988 Cork. Without a shadow of doubt still has to be one of the best performers live and knew exactly how to give the crowd their money's worth.
UB40 - on many occasions and in various countries, Very good live for many years and I was lucky to be invited back for a drink with the band, I have since stopped going to thier concerts since three of the band left and set up another UB40.
Jimmy Cliff - Oxegen music festival along with Many other bands such as the Black eyed Peas, The kings of Leon, The Cure. Jimmy Cliff being my main attraction.
Oasis - Pairc Ui Chaoimh 1996 fantastic gig, always felt that Noel and Liam would kick off while on Stage though.
Robbie Williams - 1999 Slane Castle. Can sing quiet well but lacked a little entertainment with the crowd. Felt he wasn't at 100% for the live concert.
Red Hot Chilli Peppers x2, Slane Castle and the Phoenix Park - Dublin. Both times i came away feeling disappointed they were not a great band to watch live.
Madonna - 2012 Slane Castle, Co. Meath. I enjoyed watching the queen of pop for the first and only time.
Elton John - 2013 live at the Marquee, Cork. Very good performer and actually talks to the crowd a lot in between songs.
Bruce Springsteen - 2013 Cork. The Boss, can certainly still perform well. A true Legend of the music scene.

There were Many many other bands I have seen while I worked for a Music events company over the years some are more modern bands like Greenday, Coldplay, The foo Fighters and so on the list is long so i won't bore you with the details.

Now it's over to you guys - Enjoy
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Musical Concerts or live gigs you have been to see

Post by Mr Russell »

I do enjoy my music from time to time but have not really seen any big bands but what i have seen are -

Level 42 in Birmingham in the late 80's
Transvision Vamp in Manchester in the late 80's

did go to plenty local gigs (in Keighley) to see bands like the Bobby Charltons and Single File.

When i came back in 2006 i saw the Pigeon Detectives in Leeds as well as Forward Russia (about 4 times) plus a couple of battle of the bands gigs. Did to go a Sex Pistols Tribute gig in Keighley (was funny watching 50+ yr old guys jumping around). When i returned in 2013 I saw the Front Bottoms play in Leeds.

In Oz i've seen the Celebate Rifles in Newcastle and Area 7 in Melbourne.

On my cruise to NZ i saw Tribute bands of AC/DC, INXS and Queen, all 3 were brilliant especially INXS who i saw twice. All 3 i would have loved to have seen when they were at their peak of their profession and not a tribute band.

The only band i really wanted to see was Simple Minds and they have played in Leeds and here in Newcastle but each time its when i could not get there for their gigs.
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Christ, this might take a while and will probably need multiple visits as I try to remember them all, but selected highlights off the top of my head include :

The Smiths - Meat Is Murder tour, Portsmouth 1985ish
John Lee Hooker - Hammy Odeon, early 90s
Madness - Southampton Gaumont, their second tour I think, about 1979/80 - it cost £1 :)
Yngwie Malmsteen - Poole Arts Centre, early 90s - poodle rock guitar god & hilarious live
Reba McEntire - Grand Ole Opry, Tennessee
Level 42 - Shepton Mallet Cattle Market, Dorset early 90s - King on a highwire and it was the original line-up - cracking live

Lowlights :
Nina Simone - Bishopstock Festival, early 2000s - she was drunk as a skunk and played like Les Dawson
Stones - Wembley Stadium, 1990 ..
Bowie - Wembley Stadium, early 90s .. hate stadium gigs and won't go to another one because of those two - terrible, ridiculous settings.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

My main period for going to Gigs was the 70's starting with the Glam Rock era and at that time saw most of the main groups starting with Slade at the Queens Hall in Leeds in about 1972 (would have been 14). Loved it still one of my favourite concerts (your first is always memorable ;) )
Others I saw included T Rex & Mott the Hoople in that era, never got to see Sweet though but reckon they would have been great live.

Mid Seventies actually saw Showaddywaddy and Darts, both entertaining in their own way.

Late 70's saw quite a few possibly the highlight been "The Jam" at Bridlington Spa, cracking venue where I also got to see Annie Lennox and Dave Stewart in their early group "The Tourists" .
Although never into it saw few Punk bands such as UK Subs, Stiff Little Fingers, Angelic Upstarts along with a few I've blanked from memory as just wasn't my scene but went along with others.
One group I do remember from that period that I saw twice was Eddie and the Hot Rods, loved them, great live act (actually have a couple of their albums on the strength of those Gigs.
Thinking about it another Group less well known that i bought a album after seeing them was "The Photos", was touted as the UK Blondie but think they split up.
Talking Blondie they were a group i wanted to see (who didn't have a Debbie poster on their wall back then) but failed, something I put right 8 years ago when they played at York racecourse.

Honestly I saw nothing in the 80's or early 90's just a period where i lost interest in music, other things took over my life.

My thirst for music then returned but the last 20 years its been mainly small shows more by chance in some circumstances.

Remember catching Aussie group "Jet" giving a free show in Times Square in 2005 whe i was in New York and actually met the band 10 years later again in America. This time it was Chicago where they were having a quiet pint, was amazed we recognised them and bout me and a couple of friends a drink.

Talking Chicago was lucky to see Ray Davies (Kinks) play an outdoor concert in Grant Park on a trip to the City.
Add to that I also saw Buddy Guy play another I've also met but at a later date. He was in is own Club and was hoping he'd get up on stage but he was more interested in watching rounders on the TV and drinking beer.

Other big Blues names I've seen are BB King & Robert Cray.

Seen many more local based Blues acts in Clubs in many American Cities, some far better known over there than here.

Memphis I saw one of the best live acts ever called "The Dempseys", they were a Rockabilly Trio but so much fun, actually saw them two nights running enjoyed it so much. They broke up not long after but if anyone one sees the Johnny Cash film "Walk the Line" they play Johnnys backing band in it.

On our travels me and the Mrs often look for local Jazz Clubs, a meal and live Jazz is a cool way to spend the evening.

Recent years got into doing Shows but mainly the ones that tell the story of famous music acts. So far Sunny Afternoon , Jersey Boys, Simon & Garfunkel, Carpenters, Small Faces, Johnny Cash, Michael Jackson and arguably the best of the lot Beautiful (Carol King).

To be continued :D
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

Like the earlier posters, I have a passion for music, so this is just a few highlights:

The Cure (my all time fave's, going to see them headline Malahide Castle this Saturday) - multiple times, highlights being the record breaking 3hr 45mins in Point Depot 1992 and 'at home' in Wembley 2007.

Nick Cave - Dublin 2018 - wow, wow, wow. The Bad Seeds were on my list of bands to see before they/I die - even better than I ever imagined.

Morrissey - Dublin, 2018, still obscurely brilliant onstage.

James - multiple times, but twice in Dublins tiny 1200 capacity Olympia Theatre - talk about being within arms reach of the performers. A group whose albums I love, but live is taken to a completely different level.

Pixies - multiple times in stadia, but as above, Olympia Theatre was stunning - huge noise in a tiny venue

Stone Roses twice, 2012 comeback gig in Phoenix Park was phenomenal

Dinosaur Jr - loudest gig I've ever witnessed, yet every note was still recognisable

The Jesus and Mary Chain - saw them the night they broke up (Olympia again!!!). Brothers Jim and William fought onstage all night, brilliant for what it was, classic, crazy, drunk, stoned Mary Chain.
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
Deleted User 728

I saw Robert Cray as well - early 90s at Hammy Odeon again. He had a Japanese guitarist alongside him, an old fella with a walking stick, and he was amazing :o

Forgot about Wynton Marsalis Jazz Orchestra at The Barbican who played a concert entitled "The History Of Jazz". Stunning.

Oh, and I've DJed around The Brand New Heavies and a few others, Craig Charles among them, at the club I used to play at.
We also had James Brown's Soul Sister #1, Marva Whitney there, performing with a Japanese funk band - Osaka Monorail - and I had the pleasure of picking her up from the airport.
We spent three hours together, just talking about her life on tour with Mr Brown (as she called him) and it turns out he really was every much the tosspot that everyone claims him to be. She never earned a penny from royalties from songwriting or performing and he didn't file the correct paperwork for lots of his band for over a decade, meaning they never paid the right tax and national insurance over there.

That's why she was still touring and singing into her late 60s until her death a couple of years ago.
Sad. Brilliant singer, wonderful woman, but what a way to be treated.
Brown was undeniably a musical genius but a horror of a human being.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Another I came across by chance when at the other side of the pond was Bobby Whitlock (Eric Claptons mate in Derek & the Dominos). He was playing with his wife Coco Carmel in a Pub in Austin (can't remember the Pub name).
Very enjoyable show and apparently its a regular weekly show as they live there.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

In 1958 I went to Leeds Odeon on the Headrow to see Ella Fitzgerald, Oscar Petersen trio and a few other jazz greats who I can't now remember, but probably will when I awake at 2.30 am.
I once played against Don Revie.
Deleted User 728

johnh wrote:In 1958 I went to Leeds Odeon on the Headrow to see Ella Fitzgerald, Oscar Petersen trio and a few other jazz greats who I can't now remember, but probably will when I awake at 2.30 am.

Woah !

:o

My mum and dad caught Ella on that tour at the Gaumont in Southampton.
It was with The Duke Ellington Orchestra.

Incredible !
I would love to have seen her. The greatest singer of all time IMHO.

(Ella, I mean, not my mum - though she wasn't bad at All Things Bright And Beautiful)
ilkley62
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by ilkley62 »

Ok you serious music lovers can have a chuckle at my poor attempt, not really my thing but
Genesis (more than once)
Michael Jackson - absolutely brilliant show!
Paul Young :)
Kim Wilde :)
& wait for it The 3 Degrees ( the group, not Regis , Batson & Cunningham ) :)